• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Bowl Game Thread

Except for 2001 when we stayed home with a 6-5 record. To be fair, there were only 25 bowl games then compared with 40 some now.

Lilburn, that was my point about Swofford [/during this new alignment during this BCS era of things.B]. That really wasn't that hard to understand and what happened to us with Grobe was 17 years ago. Totally different times now that over 50% of all BCS teams go to bowl games.

Liberty will likely become bowl eligible this weekend in their first season in FBS but will probably not land a bowl.

Liberty and AutoNation Cure Bowl do have an agreement for 2018 & 2019 as a secondary bowl agreement just in case Liberty does become eligible and they have successfully transitioned to year two of its FBS transitional status and is a deserving team.

Lilburn, that was my point about Swofford [/during this new alignment during this BCS era of things.B]. That really wasn't that hard to understand and what happened to us with Grobe was 17 years ago. Totally different times now that over 50% of all BCS teams go to bowl games.

The BCS started in 1998 and was in place until the College Football Playoff started in 2014. It doesn't exist anymore.

My preference would be to play
1) an SEC team
2) a PAC 12 team
3) a Big 12 team
4) a Big 10 team

Joe Giglio posted an article with more info on ACC bowl scenarios. Provided no additional clarity on Wake's situation. Mentioned the same bowls that we have been discussing.

My preference would be to play
1) an SEC team
2) a PAC 12 team
3) a Big 12 team
4) a Big 10 team

Only hope for a P5 matchup appears to be Purdue in the Quick Lane, and that's not a given.

The BCS started in 1998 and was in place until the College Football Playoff started in 2014. It doesn't exist anymore.

Yea, and like I said, totally different times then & now when over 50% of the teams go bowling. With 40 bowls in 2018 so 80 teams participate out of about 135, that is roughly 59% now. Back in the year 2000 there were 25 bowls. As I said initially, Swofford has done a great job of making sure all of our teams have been placed in bowls when they were eligible since this format started and all this number of bowls came on-line.

Once Va.Tech plays a home game to become bowl eligible and of course beats Marshall, how does that impact our bowl options?

Thanks.

Joe Giglio was nice enough to answer a question from me on social media. If I understood his response correctly, his understanding is that the ACC will fill the spot in the First Responder Bowl (Dallas) before Birmingham. I hope that is right because that would both simplify things and provide a clear path for all 11 ACC teams to play in a bowl.

Based on his article that he published today, here’s more on how Joe sees the bowl lineup in the scenario where VT beats Marshall.

First, he sees Syracuse, NCSU, Miami, UVA and VT filling the Camping World, Pinstripe, Belk, TaxSlayer (or Music City) and Military Bowls.

That would leave the following teams:

Pitt (7-5)
Georgia Tech (7-5)
Boston College (7-5)
Duke (7-5)
Wake Forest (6-6)

Those 5 remaining teams would go to the following 5 bowls:

The Sun Bowl in El Paso would choose first. By rule they cannot choose Wake. None of the teams listed above has played in the Sun Bowl in the past 3 seasons.

The Quick Lane Bowl (Detroit) and Independence Bowl (Shreveport) would choose next. Either could choose Wake, but obviously they would have to choose the Deacs over a 7-5 team. The Quick Lane Bowl would likely avoid both Duke and Boston College since they played in that bowl in the last two years, but either Pitt or Georgia Tech (or both) would be available.

The Gasparilla (Tampa) and First Responder (Dallas) would split up the two remaining teams.

Just watched a clip of the fight after the UNC vs NCState game. Have to wonder if NCState will face some penalties after the powers that be watch that film. Several NCState players can be seen throwing and landing punches. There must be consequences for that you would think.

So Wake to Tampa or Dallas without Virginia Tech being eligible and Wake to Birmingham with Virginia Tech being eligible.

So Wake to Tampa or Dallas without Virginia Tech being eligible and Wake to Birmingham with Virginia Tech being eligible.
“. . . here’s more on how Joe sees the bowl lineup in the scenario where VT beats Marshall.”

Back