• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Bowl Game Thread

Liberty and AutoNation Cure Bowl do have an agreement for 2018 & 2019 as a secondary bowl agreement just in case Liberty does become eligible and they have successfully transitioned to year two of its FBS transitional status and is a deserving team.

Last season was their last year in FCS in football. I also think it's sad that no one will let them in a conference due to their religious ties. I believe I read they offered 12 mil to get into conference USA instead of the normal 2 and was still rejected. Rejected from the Sun Belt as well. I am a Liberty grad but my allegiance has always been to the Deacs, but I'll still keep up with them and support them over anyone else. They are growing by leaps and bounds and I think in another few years would be a great rival to App. Just beat them in Boone year before last.

Last edited:
I should have said first year that they were able to actually go to a bowl. I don't think they could last year. I also think it's sad that no one will let them in a conference due to their religious ties. I believe I read they offered 12 mil to get into conference USA instead of the normal 2 and was still rejected. Rejected from the Sun Belt as well. I am a Liberty grad but my allegiance has always been to the Deacs, but I'll still keep up with them and support them over anyone else. They are growing by leaps and bounds and I think in another few years would be a great rival to App. Just beat them in Boone year before last.

Can't get in a conference because of religious ties? On what evidence. My bullshit meter went off. Do you think Notre Dame could join a conference. And fifty others . How about HBU?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/piloto...4aef1fa8-6614-58ea-97f4-25805187fa70.amp.html

I was off about the amount they apparently offered conference USA 24 million more than the buy in and they were rejected

Yea. I get they were rejected. I'm asking what is your evidence that they were rejected on religious affiliation grounds. I wouldn't want them either because they are led by an asshole that bears false witness everyday of his life, but that doesn't make it the reason they were rejected. It's just an opinion And I take pleasure in their failure.

I was basing it off them saying their conservative evangelical values and controversial leader. Just because I went their doesn't mean I approve of Falwell. My beliefs are far different then theirs. But I would like to see them change and succeed one day.

Just watched a clip of the fight after the UNC vs NCState game. Have to wonder if NCState will face some penalties after the powers that be watch that film. Several NCState players can be seen throwing and landing punches. There must be consequences for that you would think.

Don't know if any of State's "impact" players were involved in the fight, but if so and say a game suspension is in the works, they have to be thrilled over scheduling ECU this Saturday vs. having them sit out the bowl game.

I attended the Paradise Jam at Liberty last year. While many of the contract arena staff were very nice, the Liberty guys who were supervising them were total pricks - worse than anything I've seen at any sports venue.

Fuck them

Don't know if any of State's "impact" players were involved in the fight, but if so and say a game suspension is in the works, they have to be thrilled over scheduling ECU this Saturday vs. having them sit out the bowl game.

Except if they lose to ECU, a scar that will last twenty years longer with their alumni than a random bowl game forgotten the next day.

I attended the Paradise Jam at Liberty last year. While many of the contract arena staff were very nice, the Liberty guys who were supervising them were total pricks - worse than anything I've seen at any sports venue.

Fuck them

Liberty was absolute trash when they recruited a couple of guys from our h.s. prep team way back in the mid-'00s. They basically told us that the religious stuff wouldnt affect us at all if we went there & then rigged a stupid t-shirt give-away in front of our whole school and winked at us after telling us there were ways around the NCAA and the benefits they could provide. Some of the dumbest & most crooked people I've ever interacted with.

But, yeah. Fuck them.

Back on topic, anybody remember a bowl season with less certainty on destinations this far along on the calendar?

I guess the random make-up games are wreaking some havoc, but i was talking to a Wake/Minnesota fan last night & it felt like we discussed a dozen different bowls that were legit possibilities between the 2 schools.

Liberty was absolute trash when they recruited a couple of guys from our h.s. prep team way back in the mid-'00s. They basically told us that the religious stuff wouldnt affect us at all if we went there & then rigged a stupid t-shirt give-away in front of our whole school and winked at us after telling us there were ways around the NCAA and the benefits they could provide. Some of the dumbest & most crooked people I've ever interacted with.

But, yeah. Fuck them.

Back on topic, anybody remember a bowl season with less certainty on destinations this far along on the calendar?

I guess the random make-up games are wreaking some havoc, but i was talking to a Wake/Minnesota fan last night & it felt like we discussed a dozen different bowls that were legit possibilities between the 2 schools.

Another factor is that the top 4 teams aren't set, with at least 6 teams and maybe seven possible for the top 4. There are scenarios, some pretty low probability that could put any of them in the playoff.

The teams that don't make the playoff all have different landing spots. Each of those will have a falling domino effect on teams lower in the bowl selection process.

The makeup games are also impacting some of the selection order. So do conference championship games. Upsets could make more enticing teams available to bowls who didn't expect to have them as possibilities.

All these combine to leave a lot of possibilities for teams at the bottom of the selection order, especially those, like Wake, with 6-6 records. The only certainty is that as a P5 team, Wake will go bowling. Somewhere.

So the tier 2 Bowls, pick the following way:
1. Military- Vtech likely if they win
2. Independence Bowl- Lets say Pitt because they are gonna play in the conf championship, big school, Pittsburgh people seem like the type to vacation here. But ACC is pushing for Pitt in the Pinstripe...
3. Quick Lane- Duke can't be here so they pick Gtech over Wake, because its a bigger school and Gtech is 7-5
4. Gasparilla- Duke says they wont play here, so Wake goes here
5. Heart of Dallas- Duke

I am probably wrong about something, maybe we would end up in Birmingham instead of Dallas?

Anyways, I got the info from here

18_19_FBL_Bowls_Selection_1920x1080_Review_V3.png

Really it comes down to Tampa or Detroit

Last edited:
Joe Giglio posted an update on what he is hearing on the ACC bowl scenarios. I updated my post from last night to include the new info from Joe.
This is all based on the scenario where VT beats Marshall.

Giglio sees Syracuse, NCSU, Miami, UVA, Pitt and VT filling the Camping World, Pinstripe, Belk, TaxSlayer (or Music City), Sun and Military Bowls.

That would leave the following teams:
Georgia Tech (7-5)
Boston College (7-5)
Duke (7-5)
Wake Forest (6-6)

Those 4 remaining teams would go to the following 4 bowls:
Quick Lane Bowl
Independence Bowl
Gasparilla Bowl
First Responder Bowl

The Quick Lane Bowl (Detroit) and Independence Bowl (Shreveport) would choose first. Either could choose Wake, but obviously they would have to choose the Deacs over a 7-5 team. The Quick Lane Bowl would likely avoid both Duke and Boston College since they played in that bowl in the last two years, so Georgia Tech would be the likely candidate.

The Gasparilla (Tampa) and First Responder (Dallas) would split up the two remaining teams.

Duke has indicated that they would not be willing to go to the Gasparilla (Tampa) because of the proximity to exams. So Duke will either head to the Shreveport or Dallas.

Based on Giglio’s information, I think the most likely outcome would be:
Georgia Tech to the Quick Lane (Detroit)
Boston College to the Independence (Shreveport)
Duke to the First Responder (Dallas)
Wake to the Gasparilla (Tampa)

But that’s just my speculation, but it sure seems like the chances of going to Tampa are on the uptick.

Joe Giglio was nice enough to answer a question from me on social media. If I understood his response correctly, his understanding is that the ACC will fill the spot in the First Responder Bowl (Dallas) before Birmingham. I hope that is right because that would both simplify things and provide a clear path for all 11 ACC teams to play in a bowl.

Based on his article that he published today, here’s more on how Joe sees the bowl lineup in the scenario where VT beats Marshall.

First, he sees Syracuse, NCSU, Miami, UVA and VT filling the Camping World, Pinstripe, Belk, TaxSlayer (or Music City) and Military Bowls.

Pitt (7-5)
Georgia Tech (7-5)
Boston College (7-5)
Duke (7-5)
Wake Forest (6-6)

Those 5 remaining teams would go to the following 5 bowls:

The Sun Bowl in El Paso would choose first. By rule they cannot choose Wake. None of the teams listed above has played in the Sun Bowl in the past 3 seasons.

The Quick Lane Bowl (Detroit) and Independence Bowl (Shreveport) would choose next. Either could choose Wake, but obviously they would have to choose the Deacs over a 7-5 team. The Quick Lane Bowl would likely avoid both Duke and Boston College since they played in that bowl in the last two years, but either Pitt or Georgia Tech (or both) would be available.

The Gasparilla (Tampa) and First Responder (Dallas) would split up the two remaining teams.

What is the rule preventing us from being selected by the Sun Bowl? The ACC website says all those bowls have "equal selection status" whatever that means.

Just watched a clip of the fight after the UNC vs NCState game. Have to wonder if NCState will face some penalties after the powers that be watch that film. Several NCState players can be seen throwing and landing punches. There must be consequences for that you would think.

The consequences of this fight were announced 12 hours before this post..... 3 guys from NCSU suspended for 1 half (of NCSU's choosing) in their next game (against ECU) while 4 guys from UNC are suspended for the first half of their next game (SC next season). 2 of the 4 UNC guys (the two that started the fight and swung first ironically enough) are seniors and as a result will receive no punishment.

Mandel has us in Birmingham vs Temple (ugh)

Another example of the national media guys having a different understanding of where the 11th ACC team would go. Giglio says Dallas. ESPN, CBS and presumably now Mandel say Birmingham. Joe Giglio seems to be the authority on this from the ACC perspective, so I am going to trust that he is correct.

Joe Giglio posted an update on what he is hearing on the ACC bowl scenarios. I updated my post from last night to include the new info from Joe.
This is all based on the scenario where VT beats Marshall.

Giglio sees Syracuse, NCSU, Miami, UVA, Pitt and VT filling the Camping World, Pinstripe, Belk, TaxSlayer (or Music City), Sun and Military Bowls.

Georgia Tech (7-5)
Boston College (7-5)
Duke (7-5)
Wake Forest (6-6)

Those 4 remaining teams would go to the following 4 bowls:
Quick Lane Bowl
Independence Bowl
Gasparilla Bowl
First Responder Bowl

The Quick Lane Bowl (Detroit) and Independence Bowl (Shreveport) would choose first. Either could choose Wake, but obviously they would have to choose the Deacs over a 7-5 team. The Quick Lane Bowl would likely avoid both Duke and Boston College since they played in that bowl in the last two years, so Georgia Tech would be the likely candidate.

Duke has indicated that they would not be willing to go to the Gasparilla (Tampa) because of the proximity to exams. So Duke will either head to the Shreveport or Dallas.

Based on Giglio’s information, I think the most likely outcome would be:
Georgia Tech to the Quick Lane (Detroit)
Boston College to the Independence (Shreveport)
Duke to the First Responder (Dallas)
Wake to the Gasparilla (Tampa)

But that’s just my speculation, but it sure seems like the chances of going to Tampa are on the uptick.

Come on...be real...be 100...the reasons you like this are you really want to dress up like a pirate and you like saying Gasparilla.

What is the rule preventing us from being selected by the Sun Bowl? The ACC website says all those bowls have "equal selection status" whatever that means.

Giglio said that 6-6 teams can't jump 7-5 teams for the Tier 1 bowls. That's why he's so confident that VT will go to the Military if they get to 6-6. Because the Tier 1 bowls can't choose VT and the Military Bowl gets first choice from the Tier 2 bowls.

The consequences of this fight were announced 12 hours before this post..... 3 guys from NCSU suspended for 1 half (of NCSU's choosing) in their next game (against ECU) while 4 guys from UNC are suspended for the first half of their next game (SC next season). 2 of the 4 UNC guys (the two that started the fight and swung first ironically enough) are seniors and as a result will receive no punishment.

This is pretty comical. There were way more than 3 State guys and 4 UNC guys who emptied the benches and were taking swings. Probably should have been something like 10 and 12 or so. Previous bench clearing fights (Miami, Clemson, SC, etc) have resulted in much stiffer punishments.

Back