• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

CONeill is the writer and poster you wish to compliment and I echo your sentiments.

Last edited:
The lines are always key in College football.

Losing the ODU kid to a knee injury sucks.

Since we are razor thin at DT, any updates on this group:

DE Basham / Allen
DT Tyler Williams / Bergan
DT Kamara / Freshman
DE Walker / Bothroyd

I don't like spending the entire summer reading "Freshman" there. Seems like we need to slide someone down inside to help out (Allen is HUGE so him?).

McCollum will be on the field A LOT

CONeill is the writer and poster you wish to compliment and I echo your sentiments.

hah, much appreciated.

Especially appreciative of ConnorEl for posting the link. I can now look past the misspelling of his name (ha. ha. ha.)

Kendall has had a heck of a story these past 12 months (really, 4 years, but I felt the last 12 months had the most untold elements, if that makes sense). Was really happy he allowed/trusted me to talk with him about it.

Taylor Morin is not on the pre-season roster. Does anybody have info?

Wouldn’t Morin and Jones fall into the 2020 recruiting class then? We may be close to done recruiting (save for certain exceptions) in 2020 if that’s the case.

Wouldn’t Morin and Jones fall into the 2020 recruiting class then? We may be close to done recruiting (save for certain exceptions) in 2020 if that’s the case.

Yes, that is correct. From a number of scholarships available standpoint, we are over the limit. We are still courting some 2020 players so we expect some early grads and other transitions.

I hope that Athlon Sports is correct and we finish at least 7-5 overall and 3-5 in the ACC. There is only going to be one team we can't beat this season. Hoping we get off to a 4-0 start. I know Utah St returns a great QB in Jordan Love but his OLine is depleted. 6 of their 9 top tacklers are gone but most of their LB's are back. Hopefully we can pass on them over the middle.
Get UNC this year before Mack starts reloading. He is a great in-state recruiter!

I hope that Athlon Sports is correct and we finish at least 7-5 overall and 3-5 in the ACC. There is only going to be one team we can't beat this season. Hoping we get off to a 4-0 start. I know Utah St returns a great QB in Jordan Love but his OLine is depleted. 6 of their 9 top tacklers are gone but most of their LB's are back. Hopefully we can pass on them over the middle.
Get UNC this year before Mack starts reloading. He is a great in-state recruiter!
Brown was a great in state recruiter at Texas and sucked so bad his last three years he quit. So in addition to hiring convicted cheaters on his staff, he is a quitter. Further he's an asshole.

Brown was a great in state recruiter at Texas and sucked so bad his last three years he quit. So in addition to hiring convicted cheaters on his staff, he is a quitter. Further he's an asshole.

He is not known to be an asshole in the state of North Carolina. Parents of recruits love him. Mack Brown is also a national championship coach. He recruited the state of NC very well when he was here before and established a great pipeline with all the high school coaches and their assistants. Like him or not he will have the Tar Holes back & stocked with recruits. He is already cutting off Doeren's pipeline to in-state recruits. I am glad we are playing them this year at home before he gets stockpiled with talent.

He is not known to be an asshole in the state of North Carolina. Parents of recruits love him. Mack Brown is also a national championship coach. He recruited the state of NC very well when he was here before and established a great pipeline with all the high school coaches and their assistants. Like him or not he will have the Tar Holes back & stocked with recruits. He is already cutting off Doeren's pipeline to in-state recruits. I am glad we are playing them this year at home before he gets stockpiled with talent.

I'm not concerned.

Thus far, State has 5 of the top 25 players in NC committed. UNC has 3.

So, typical that Reff would buy into the Mack Brown UNC revival BS.

There may not be a school that is easier to recruit to than University of Texas; yet that program floundered over his last 4 years there; despite superior resources and a natural recruiting edge, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Baylor (!) had surpassed Texas in the Big 12 football hierarchy, when Texas dumped Mack. Texas is just recovering now from the disaster that Mack left behind.

Brown WAS a successful coach at UNC in the 1990s. At that time, WF had no commitment to football and our coach was Jim Caldwell. Mike O'Cain coached State and Fred Goldsmith floundered at Duke. So, it was a different world for UNC in football in those days. UNC had a massive advantage over every school in the conference, but FSU who had just arrived. Tommy West, who I always thought was a special needs case, coached Clemson. Think about that (picture below). The ACC sucked in football as only FSU had a legit program and any desire/ability to compete on a high level.

wbegx8pzhdn28nndi76x

So, now as Mack is closing in on 70, he is going to build UNC back into a power? Don't see it. Brown will leave UNC in a few years in the same or worse state that the Hat had it.

Last edited:

I'd be happy with 8-4 and 4-4 in the ACC. So predictions are not far off from a good season.

Pilch - good historical overview. My, how things have changed.
I think that UNC will improve some (they couldn't get any worse) just due to the improved talent they are getting, but as you said, Brown is now 70 so I highly doubt he'll be the long term solution. Will be interesting to see if how he leaves in a few years........will he retire or be fired?

Back