• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

FWIW, Fedora crashed and burned his last two years at UNC, but in his previous 5 years, Fedora did not have losing conference record in any of the those years. That included 2015 when UNC went 11-3 and 8-0 in the ACC regular season.

Fedora finished his 7 years at UNC at 45-43 overall and 28-28 in the ACC. I don't see Mack materially out-performing those marks.

So, typical that Reff would buy into the Mack Brown UNC revival BS.

There may not be a school that is easier to recruit to than University of Texas; yet that program floundered over his last 4 years there; despite superior resources and a natural recruiting edge, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Baylor (!) had surpassed Texas in the Big 12 football hierarchy, when Texas dumped Mack. Texas is just recovering now from the disaster that Mack left behind.

Brown WAS a successful coach at UNC in the 1990s. At that time, WF had no commitment to football and our coach was Jim Caldwell. Mike O'Cain coached State and Fred Goldsmith floundered at Duke. So, it was a different world for UNC in football in those days. UNC had a massive advantage over every school in the conference, but FSU who had just arrived. Tommy West, who I always thought was a special needs case, coached Clemson. Think about that (picture below). The ACC sucked in football as only FSU had a legit program and any desire/ability to compete on a high level.

wbegx8pzhdn28nndi76x

So, now as Mack is closing in on 70, he is going to build UNC back into a power? Don't see it. Brown will leave UNC in a few years in the same or worse state that the Hat had it.

Just sit back and watch Pilch. How little you know about North Carolina high school recruiting and how good Mack Brown was before. You claim to be some expert and maybe you are for the Maryland area but I doubt you know much about the North Carolina high school landscape. Nor do you probably remember how good Mack was at UNC. His last 8 seasons on The Hill he went 67-26 with 6 straight bowl seasons. After getting to 4th in the country, being 10-1 and being passed over for a New Years day bowl and only getting the Gator Bowl [for #8 K State], plus not getting a raise from AD Baddour of a nominal $25,000 because Dean Smith would not allow it], Mack took his talents to Texas where he raised them from the dead and on to a national title. He went 158-48 there and while you say he floundered there, he still made bowls his final 3 seasons and won 25 games.

Meanwhile he is coming in to the ACC where the ONLY legitimate program is now Clemson that has a chance at the "natty" so it seems things in your world of reasoning are very similar to when Mack was at UNC before, huh? Because right now the ACC has ebbed & flowed back down to a seeming low again with maybe 1 other team ranked inside the Top 25 to start the season beside Clemson [take your pick of Miami, UVa or Syracuse. Plus Mack is not at UNC to take them to the promised land, just to restore order from the trash heap that Fedora had left them on.

"Just win, baby" as Al Davis would say. Clawson has been around here long enough to realize what beating the 'holes means.

Just sit back and watch Pilch. How little you know about North Carolina high school recruiting and how good Mack Brown was before. You claim to be some expert and maybe you are for the Maryland area but I doubt you know much about the North Carolina high school landscape. Nor do you probably remember how good Mack was at UNC. His last 8 seasons on The Hill he went 67-26 with 6 straight bowl seasons. After getting to 4th in the country, being 10-1 and being passed over for a New Years day bowl and only getting the Gator Bowl [for #8 K State], plus not getting a raise from AD Baddour of a nominal $25,000 because Dean Smith would not allow it], Mack took his talents to Texas where he raised them from the dead and on to a national title. He went 158-48 there and while you say he floundered there, he still made bowls his final 3 seasons and won 25 games.

Meanwhile he is coming in to the ACC where the ONLY legitimate program is now Clemson that has a chance at the "natty" so it seems things in your world of reasoning are very similar to when Mack was at UNC before, huh? Because right now the ACC has ebbed & flowed back down to a seeming low again with maybe 1 other team ranked inside the Top 25 to start the season beside Clemson [take your pick of Miami, UVa or Syracuse. Plus Mack is not at UNC to take them to the promised land, just to restore order from the trash heap that Fedora had left them on.

Please address the fact that State has more top 25 NC recruits than UNC (5 vs. 3). Your previous statement about in-state recruiting was just flat out wrong. In fact, 4 of UNC's top 5 recruits are not from the state of NC.

Their #9 national recruiting class at the moment is nothing to sneeze at, but it's also extremely boosted by the fact that they already have 19 commits. Many, many teams will pass them (and Wake) as they fill out their classes.

He is not known to be an asshole in the state of North Carolina. Parents of recruits love him. Mack Brown is also a national championship coach. He recruited the state of NC very well when he was here before and established a great pipeline with all the high school coaches and their assistants. Like him or not he will have the Tar Holes back & stocked with recruits. He is already cutting off Doeren's pipeline to in-state recruits. I am glad we are playing them this year at home before he gets stockpiled with talent.
I bet some casual fans said in 2018 they wished the Deacs played State at home but the Newman led Deacs beat a loaded State at their home on national television. Never underestimate Clawson & Co. and the Deacs. The sky will not crash down simply because Brown has some inspirational talks.

I feel really good about where we are with Clawson, but as far as in-state goes, you can't overlook the fact that so many of these kids grow up wanting to be a Hole, almost to the point that they're looking for an excuse to defy logic and take their offer. For example, in years they really suck (like last year), you'll see guys commit for that very reason: "I want to be a part of The Process to help turn this thing around".

He is not known to be an asshole in the state of North Carolina. Parents of recruits love him. Mack Brown is also a national championship coach. He recruited the state of NC very well when he was here before and established a great pipeline with all the high school coaches and their assistants. Like him or not he will have the Tar Holes back & stocked with recruits. He is already cutting off Doeren's pipeline to in-state recruits. I am glad we are playing them this year at home before he gets stockpiled with talent.

So far off base with all of this. Sure, parents may love Mack, but to a recruit, the parents absolutely love Doeren and Clawson as well. And Cutt for that matter. The competition just from in state coaches in night and day compared to the last time Mack was at NCSU. As for "cutting off Doerens in state pipeline" what a joke. For one, it's not like Doeren has some stranglehold on the state like the NCSU marketing team likes to project. Yea, NCSU lands a lot of NC kids but if we get 3 or more of the top 10 kids its a hell of a year for State. Last year was an excellent in state year for NCSU due to the Hat being a dead man walking. NCSU still only got 3 of the top 10 with 5 guys going OOS. UNC got 2. Exact same story happened in the 2018 class. NCSU got 3 of top 10, 2 to UNC, 5 OOS. The UNC hype machine want's people to believe that it was some abnormal cycle the last few years with the Hat couldn't keep up with NCSU etc but really, UNC recruited well as they normally do. Mack is going to recruit well, and NCSU is going to continue to land 2-3 of the top 10 just as Doeren has done since he's been on the job. The thing he continues to do well is develop the kids he lands ranked 15-35 in the state. Doeren and Mack both have questions as far as game day coaching goes IMO but Doeren is at least trying to address it. Like what he has done on defense, don't love what he has done on offense with dual OC's but we shall see. None of the UNC hires jump out to me as anything to be scared of and game day coaching has always been Mack's problem.

As for recruiting where all of this started, State and UNC both have 1 top 10 NC kid this year, and in the end, about 4 or 5 will stay in state, and the other half will go OOS, just like it happens every year. An expert in NC high school recruiting should have already known this though.

I see only two sure things this season are a win vs ELON and a loss at Clemson. The other 10 could go either way. I've got my tickets and travel plans set for Rice and BC and I can't wait. GO DEACS!

Seems so easy to recruit against Brown. His two main recruiters are convicted and known cheaters who committed theft and fraud against LOWF. Mommies and Daddies don't like that shit. You cheat LOWF, you would cheat my son. So easy to annihilate their "promises".

Anybody considering UNC won’t care about that.

Clawson doesn’t really care about the past 30 posts on this thread.

Concerned about our defense ability to plug holes in the run game.

We do have a rather large human being who is playing OL, but also played DT in HS, in Edwards. 6’6 340 is a big dude.

When Miles Fox went down my first thought was put Mike Edwards over at DT to stuff the run.

I see only two sure things this season are a win vs ELON and a loss at Clemson. The other 10 could go either way. I've got my tickets and travel plans set for Rice and BC and I can't wait. GO DEACS!

You think Rice could go either way?

ACC O/U regular season win totals from Bovada:

ACC Atlantic

Clemson 11.5 (highest win total in CFB -- projected to be a 17 point or more favorite in all 12 regular season games)
FSU 7.5
State 7.5
WF 7
BC 6.5
L'ville 4
Cuse NL

Coastal

Miami 8.5
Duke 6.5
Pitt 6
UNC 4.5
GT 4.5
UVA NL
VT NL

WF has to go 8-4 or better to go over. Winning close games will decide it.

Early thoughts: GT under (new coach; vastly different system with option talent; they have automatic losses to Clemson and UGA); Duke under (they play Bama and ND OOC); FSU under (they aren't winning at Clemson or at Florida; don't see FSU going 8-2 agains the rest of their schedule); State over (they should go 4-0 OOC - WV lost a lot and has new coach; they get UNC and GT from the Coastal); Miami over (Miami plays three games outside of Florida - UNC, Duke and Pitt; they draw L'ville from the Coastal)

Last edited:
So Wake, FSU, and State would all need to get 8 wins to get their over. That’s good company.

Back