• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

He is not known to be an asshole in the state of North Carolina. Parents of recruits love him. Mack Brown is also a national championship coach. He recruited the state of NC very well when he was here before and established a great pipeline with all the high school coaches and their assistants. Like him or not he will have the Tar Holes back & stocked with recruits. He is already cutting off Doeren's pipeline to in-state recruits. I am glad we are playing them this year at home before he gets stockpiled with talent.

That black track suit he rocks speaks to them.

So far off base with all of this. Sure, parents may love Mack, but to a recruit, the parents absolutely love Doeren and Clawson as well. And Cutt for that matter. The competition just from in state coaches in night and day compared to the last time Mack was at NCSU. As for "cutting off Doerens in state pipeline" what a joke. For one, it's not like Doeren has some stranglehold on the state like the NCSU marketing team likes to project. Yea, NCSU lands a lot of NC kids but if we get 3 or more of the top 10 kids its a hell of a year for State. Last year was an excellent in state year for NCSU due to the Hat being a dead man walking. NCSU still only got 3 of the top 10 with 5 guys going OOS. UNC got 2. Exact same story happened in the 2018 class. NCSU got 3 of top 10, 2 to UNC, 5 OOS. The UNC hype machine want's people to believe that it was some abnormal cycle the last few years with the Hat couldn't keep up with NCSU etc but really, UNC recruited well as they normally do. Mack is going to recruit well, and NCSU is going to continue to land 2-3 of the top 10 just as Doeren has done since he's been on the job. The thing he continues to do well is develop the kids he lands ranked 15-35 in the state. Doeren and Mack both have questions as far as game day coaching goes IMO but Doeren is at least trying to address it. Like what he has done on defense, don't love what he has done on offense with dual OC's but we shall see. None of the UNC hires jump out to me as anything to be scared of and game day coaching has always been Mack's problem.

As for recruiting where all of this started, State and UNC both have 1 top 10 NC kid this year, and in the end, about 4 or 5 will stay in state, and the other half will go OOS, just like it happens every year. An expert in NC high school recruiting should have already known this though.

What has DD done on defense? State's D has been pretty bad considering the caliber of players on DL and to a lesser degree LB. Did DD make some secondary coaching adjustments?

Just listened to that podcast, impressive.

Very concerned about his description of our DL as “small...but hey we are going to be fast!”

Which podcast?

What has DD done on defense? State's D has been pretty bad considering the caliber of players on DL and to a lesser degree LB. Did DD make some secondary coaching adjustments?

Added former WVU defensive coordinator Tony Gibson to help up on the back end with the safeties and be a co-dc. So far all signs point to him being a great fit at NCSU.

Added former WVU defensive coordinator Tony Gibson to help up on the back end with the safeties and be a co-dc. So far all signs point to him being a great fit at NCSU.

Of course he's a former couch burner 😉

ACC O/U regular season win totals from Bovada:

ACC Atlantic

Clemson 11.5 (highest win total in CFB -- projected to be a 17 point or more favorite in all 12 regular season games)
FSU 7.5
State 7.5
WF 7
BC 6.5
L'ville 4
Cuse NL

Coastal

Miami 8.5
Duke 6.5
Pitt 6
UNC 4.5
GT 4.5
UVA NL
VT NL

WF has to go 8-4 or better to go over. Winning close games will decide it.

Early thoughts: GT under (new coach; vastly different system with option talent; they have automatic losses to Clemson and UGA); Duke under (they play Bama and ND OOC); FSU under (they aren't winning at Clemson or at Florida; don't see FSU going 8-2 agains the rest of their schedule); State over (they should go 4-0 OOC - WV lost a lot and has new coach; they get UNC and GT from the Coastal); Miami over (Miami plays three games outside of Florida - UNC, Duke and Pitt; they draw L'ville from the Coastal)

Tough for me to go under 4.5 on GT, but I'm close... Definitely understand the logic.
100% in on the Duke under... That seems like free money.
I think FSU gets to 7 or 8 wins, so I won't touch that one. 7 more likely that 8, but I want more cushion.
I don't know enough about NCSU or Miami to make a wager.

So will be hammering the Duke under.

Which podcast?

Go to itunes store, search "lyle hemphill" - It's the "Talkin Ball" podcast ran by a former Duke football player.

I can see us being pretty good on passing downs with these "small, fast" DL. But most concerning is teams running it up the middle on us, wearing us down by the 4th quarter.

Go to itunes store, search "lyle hemphill" - It's the "Talkin Ball" podcast ran by a former Duke football player.

I can see us being pretty good on passing downs with these "small, fast" DL. But most concerning is teams running it up the middle on us, wearing us down by the 4th quarter.

I just listened to the podcast. I like what he had to say. He didn't seem worried about the size issue, but more encouraged by the speed. Hopefully we will stay healthy enough to have 4th Q depth.

Thanks. I’ll listen to it.

Small fast DL on passing down just screams draw play on 3rd and 8 for a 9 yard gain though.

I just listened to the podcast. I like what he had to say. He didn't seem worried about the size issue, but more encouraged by the speed. Hopefully we will stay healthy enough to have 4th Q depth.

Of course he isn't going to seem worried or pessimistic on a podcast, what message would that send? "Yeah I mean we are going to be really small which I'm really worried about, but hey we are going to be fast" - he wouldn't say that.

This is where our LBs are going to have to step up and fill holes in the middle of our D to stop the run. Smenda and Strnad appear to be solid against the run. Monroe had a solid spring.

so adding a defensive coordinator from the big 12 is an improvement? man that sucks lol

Just listened to that podcast, impressive.

Very concerned about his description of our DL as “small...but hey we are going to be fast!”

Were you concerned last year as well ?

Were you concerned last year as well ?

D-line has been an area of concern for several years. Seems like Wake has had a hard time finding enough really big really good guys to play there.

D-line has been an area of concern for several years. Seems like Wake has had a hard time finding enough really big really good guys to play there.

Right. Last year the concern was edge linemen (losing Ejiofor, "we don't have a Boogie behind Boogie").

This year is interior linemen (I think we are in decent shape on the edge).

Right. Last year the concern was edge linemen (losing Ejiofor, "we don't have a Boogie behind Boogie").

This year is interior linemen (I think we are in decent shape on the edge).

This may be a bit nitpicky but you can almost say that about any position when you lose a long term starter to graduation. I haven't considered the dline a concern for some time. A backup player at one position out of four just to me, is not a whole dline concern. We have had depth concerns at almost every position as Clawson has continued to build up the talent level.

Dline to me has been one of the bright spots. Last year we were worried about one player to step in behind Boogie and Allen looked ready in surprisingly few snaps played. Two years ago we Rodney, Yarbary, Bateman, Kamara, and Tyler Williams at DT and at DE we had Ejiofor, Dunn, Calhoun, and Black. The year prior to that we had Josh Banks, Tylor Harris, Sheldon Lewinson, Yarbary, and Rodney at DT with Dunn, and Ejiofor, Black and Calhoun at DE. This year, DT is definitely a quality depth issue so not arguing that but we have 3 solid DT's in Kamara, Williams and Bergan and if Bothroyd can slide in successfully with Boogie and Allen splitting time occasionally sliding inside, we'll be ok. Hopefully Fox will be our only injury for the season (asking a lot, I know).

Back