• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

Where is our breakaway speed coming from? Not Scotty or Sage. Hinton is very, very quick but not necessarily a straight line burner. Do we have any RSFR looking to make a leap? Maybe I'm underestimating Scotty and Hinton's speed.

Where is our breakaway speed coming from? Not Scotty or Sage. Hinton is very, very quick but not necessarily a straight line burner. Do we have any RSFR looking to make a leap? Maybe I'm underestimating Scotty and Hinton's speed.

Claude is our speed man

I forgot about Claude. He hasn't made much of a splash yet...Hopefully that changes this year. I know Beal is a RB but would like to see him out in the slot some.

Even Dortch wasn’t a blazing speed guy. More of an elusive threat. I’m excited about the potential for this year’s offense with a great QB situation and much more experience for both guys. I like Surratt and expect to see him get better with a full year under his belt at the college level. Interested to see whether Groulx or Greene find their way on the field.

Even Dortch wasn’t a blazing speed guy. More of an elusive threat. I’m excited about the potential for this year’s offense with a great QB situation and much more experience for both guys. I like Surratt and expect to see him get better with a full year under his belt at the college level. Interested to see whether Groulx or Greene find their way on the field.

I forgot about those guys. If nothing else, we'll at least see them on the filed for 4 games each.

Wasn't there a lot of solid spring buzz about A.T. Perry? He and Jaquarii Roberson are the two most likely breakout candidates, IMHO.

Wasn't there a lot of solid spring buzz about A.T. Perry? He and Jaquarii Roberson are the two most likely breakout candidates, IMHO.

I don’t know for sure without looking it up, but I think Roberson is supposed to be a speed guy.

I understand the question. From what we've seen from Clawson, he doesn't really use straight line burner speed. He preferred to use Washington and Bachman on the deep routes. Dortch didn't just run deep routes. Clawson seems to be more concerned with catching the ball downfield on the sidelines and using speed to get open near the LOS and get out YAC. We know Hinton can get out on the edge and score TDs. Obviously, I'd love to have burners but I think we are fine on speed for what Clawson does.

With a smaller DL this year, what would help the team most would be pass catchers that will move the chains. If the high speed offense is 3 and out, our defense will get 30 seconds of much needed rest. I'm talking only 30 seconds total. We have to protect the teams Achilles heel, which is depth of our interior DL.

I understand the question. From what we've seen from Clawson, he doesn't really use straight line burner speed. He preferred to use Washington and Bachman on the deep routes. Dortch didn't just run deep routes. Clawson seems to be more concerned with catching the ball downfield on the sidelines and using speed to get open near the LOS and get out YAC. We know Hinton can get out on the edge and score TDs. Obviously, I'd love to have burners but I think we are fine on speed for what Clawson does.

If I am remembering correctly, Dortch caught some deep post routes for TDs where he got separation in the middle of the field, and through scheme there seemed to be no safety over the top to help.

I forgot about Claude. He hasn't made much of a splash yet...Hopefully that changes this year. I know Beal is a RB but would like to see him out in the slot some.

Creamy - you forgot about Claude, as well as Groulx and Greene????
You must be on a serious summer vacation.
It's almost time to get back in gear for football.

David Hale's ranking of the ACC Defenses (link to blog: https://davidmhale.com/2019/07/03/ranking-the-accs-lb-groups/ ):

D-Line:
1. Syracuse (consider this a favor to Dabo)
2. Clemson
3. Miami
4. Florida State
5. Pitt
6. NC State
7. Virginia
8. Wake Forest
9. Duke
10. North Carolina
11. Virginia Tech
12. Boston College
13. Louisville
14. Georgia Tech

LBs:
1. Miami
2. Virginia
3. Clemson
4. BC
5. Florida State
6. Virginia Tech
7. NC State
8. Wake Forest
9. Syracuse
10. Duke
11. Pitt
12. North Carolina
13. Georgia Tech
14. Louisville
Wake Forest is an interesting case. The Deacons have a good one in Justin Strnad, but D.J. Taylor is probably their best linebacker overall, and he’s now lost for the season with an injury. There were some encouraging signs for the unit as the season progressed, but anyone who watched Travis Etienne run all over that D last year will be unsurprised that the Deacs ranked dead last in the ACC in missed tackle rate.
His take on the WF LBs:

DBs:
1. Miami
2. Florida State
3. Clemson
4. Duke
5. Pitt
6. Virginia
7. Wake
8. Syracuse
9. UNC
10. NC State
11 Virginia Tech
12. Boston College
13. Louisville
14. Georgia Tech

Looks like GT should have a swell year. Wish we played them.

Everything I've read about the Jackets has incredibly bleak expectations. Among other issues, the defense is expected really suck (see ratings above), but in the past, Paul Johnson's offense hid defensive weaknesses by possessing the ball and running clock. With the new spread offense that will be manned by option personnel , a bad GT defense will be on the field a lot. Yikes.

GT fans got sick of the option offense, but they might be missing it soon.

So when did David Hale graduate from Wake?

So when did David Hale graduate from Wake?

Feels weird to have someone cover the ACC with a pro WF slant, or at least not out of the box dismissive. Hope he is right about the DL.

Back