• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

A Louisville blogger "Big Red Loui" has a write-up abou the Wake team

-"Louisville football: Cardinals look to exercise demons against Wake Forest" is the quote.

Word choice fail.

The demons may be doing their workout routines. That won't exorcise them.

Wouldn't be summertime on the boards without the usual cohort predicting a "breakout" season for WF football.

This is Wake we're talking about, so the question as always is whether the potential will translate to results. I thought we had great "potential" to beat Notre Dame last year and instead we lost badly to a backup QB. i thought we had potential to be moderately competitive with Clemson and instead we got obliterated by 60 points.

Seven wins seems about right. If we catch a lot of breaks I could see eight-plus. We'll inevitably lose a game or two (or three) that we shouldn't.

Pretty sure this is the year for a breakout season!

Agree mostly with your concerns, Connor.

But I may be more optimistic regarding the back 7, being that 2 of the 7 are on your first team all-acc team.
Clawson mentions that a players biggest jump is from year 1 on the field to year 2.

That means Smenda, Greer (who is already a stud), and theoretically C. Davis will all be in year 2. Henderson is a solid CB2 when healthy. Greer should fill in well for the loss of Glenn and anchor the safety group while the other players vying to fill for Wade (a converted WR) are true defensive players (Masterson, Hardimon, Davis).

ETA: Conor*

Indeed, a very good point and I probably undervalued the impact Strnad and Bassey will have.

Also yes, I think Smenda, Greer and Davis have massive upsides. At times in camp last season, Coby looked to be the second-best safety on the team - and the best in man coverage. Having him back healthy will be huge (which is partially why I wrote this feature last week, too).

By the time we play them they'll have things figured out. I'm glad that we're playing the 'hole early for that reason. They won't have things figured out yet.
We only beat NC State when they are rolling toward great seasons. We are their soul crushers. If they are just average we lose to them. Ruined them Bitch Rivers season. Ruined them last year. The fuckers will never make it to a major bowl as long as Wake exists. Has to be 75 years since they won an ACC championship. And they probably won't as long as the road goes through Wake Forest.

We only beat NC State when they are rolling toward great seasons. We are their soul crushers. If they are just average we lose to them. Ruined them Bitch Rivers season. Ruined them last year. The fuckers will never make it to a major bowl as long as Wake exists. Has to be 75 years since they won an ACC championship. And they probably won't as long as the road goes through Wake Forest.
Puppy dog tears are soooooooo good to see.

Wouldn't be summertime on the boards without the usual cohort predicting a "breakout" season for WF football.

This is Wake we're talking about, so the question as always is whether the potential will translate to results. I thought we had great "potential" to beat Notre Dame last year and instead we lost badly to a backup QB. i thought we had potential to be moderately competitive with Clemson and instead we got obliterated by 60 points.

Seven wins seems about right. If we catch a lot of breaks I could see eight-plus. We'll inevitably lose a game or two (or three) that we shouldn't.
I think you need to develop some better reading comprehension skills

I like irrefutable smack!

ND was an unlikely win as well as Clemson. Those losses do not detract from WF’s 2018 pre-season potential which WF validated with a 2018 winning season and third straight bowl win.

It's hard to really judge last season. We had a DC who didn't know what he was doing for half the season. I think it's more likely we pick up where we left off than go back to being where we were for half of last season. Far more likely.

It's hard to really judge last season. We had a DC who didn't know what he was doing for half the season. I think it's more likely we pick up where we left off than go back to being where we were for half of last season. Far more likely.

Yet, I think we found a diamond in the rough in hemphill.

I guess I didn't realize that our game with UNC doesn't even count as an ACC game. That's a little weird, but it will still feel good to whip their ass and prove we're the best team in NC

Last year, I think we handle Boston College easily if Hemphill is DC from the start. I have never seen receivers that wide open before. Our DB’s had no idea what they were doing or where they should be. Go Deacs!

Last year, I think we handle Boston College easily if Hemphill is DC from the start. I have never seen receivers that wide open before. Our DB’s had no idea what they were doing or where they should be. Go Deacs!

I think you might be right. I'm not calling Hemphill the next Mike Elko or Bud Foster yet, but the back 7 was absolutely clueless under Sawvell.

Defense clearly improved under Hemphill, but BC dominated that game even more than the 41-34 final score indicated. WF's first two scores were set up after BC fumbled a punt, and then had a punt blocked. Even with those two TDs, it was BC 41-27 when WF scored a TD with a minute to go make the score a little more respectable.

Last edited:
Thought the same thing. We were lucky to be in the BC. Can’t believe we let Brown carve us up.

Yeah, Brown blows. Think he'll be more exposed this year with a less veteran OL

Defense clearly improved under Hemphill, but BC dominated that game even more than the 41-34 final score indicated. WF's first two scores were set up after BC fumbled a punt, and then had a punt blocked. Even with those two TDs, it was BC 41-27 when WF scored a TD with a minute to go make the score a little more respectable.

I agree that the score was closer than the game played out, but the only reason they scored 41 was because the defense had blown coverages over and over again. They don't score 41 and dominate field position if the back 7 at least make them break a sweat.

I agree that the score was closer than the game played out, but the only reason they scored 41 was because the defense had blown coverages over and over again. They don't score 41 and dominate field position if the back 7 at least make them break a sweat.

Agree that was a big reason, but BC also ran for over 200 yards against the WF D. Dillon had 150+ alone. All that said, WF's defense was falling apart at that point in the season. WF defense did markedly improve (even with the 34 given up to Pitt and Memphis late in the year).

Last edited:
Agree that was a big reason, but BC also ran for over 200 yards against the WF D. Dillon had 150+ alone. All that said, WF's defense was falling apart at that point in the season. WF defense did markedly improve (even with the 34 given up to Pitt and Memphis late in the year).

14 of those points Memphis scored was a pick-6 and a special teams TD. D really only gave up 20 against Memphis.

Back