• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

There was a marked improvement in the defense over the last 4 or 5 games of the season, not only in points per game but in the number of "explosives" we allowed. Over the first half of the season, teams were routinely scoring touchdowns from outside the red zone. The BC and Tulane games are perfect examples of players being beat simply because they were out of position. The coordinator deserves a large portion of that blame. After the Clemaon game, teams were still scoring a lot of points, but we were at least making them sustain drives longer to score.

Considering the change in defensive coordinator and the linebacker injuries during the middle of the season, I see the last third of the season as more of the level of play to project this season's defense from. It's certainly possible we'll take a step back due to personell losses (primarily defensive tackle depth and lack of experienced safety depth) but I am confident in our staff's ability to prepare and execute a competent game plan.

Pitt was a bit disappointing defensively but we did a pretty good job against their run game which had been unbelievable up to that point. Maybe sold out too much though since we got picked apart through the air

Pitt was a bit disappointing defensively but we did a pretty good job against their run game which had been unbelievable up to that point. Maybe sold out too much though since we got picked apart through the air

To me, Pitt and Syracuse games were picture-perfect examples of the defense wearing down. You're never going to have a healthy roster in the 9th and 11th games of the year, but the volume of injuries was exposed in those games.

defensive depth -- especially along the line -- has been Wake's biggest weakness for the entirety of my fanhood save for a couple highly notable examples

And it played absolute lights out in the second half

Until the next to last Memphis drive in the 4th quarter. They might have started to wear down because after Nick Sciba's FG made it 30-28 Deacs, we started to get very vanilla on offense imo, and had some 3 and outs. This didn't end until Memphis scored a TD with 1:15 left.to play to take a 34-30 lead.

Last edited:
Agree that was a big reason, but BC also ran for over 200 yards against the WF D. Dillon had 150+ alone. All that said, WF's defense was falling apart at that point in the season. WF defense did markedly improve (even with the 34 given up to Pitt and Memphis late in the year).

I think Dillon had 75 of his 150ish on the second play from scrimmage. I'm not saying we should have pitched a shutout, but that offense wasn't as great as missed assignments and blown coverage made them look.

Some bad news......Jake Simpson has been medically DQ'd.

Hope we don't have any more injuries to our LB group.

We are cursed at LB. seems every year our depth gets shot at this position before the season even starts.

We recently had a medically DQ'd player go play for another school, so are medical DQ's permanent or is it really another way of saying he is just out for the season? Or does it mean he can never play for Wake Forest again because our doctors deem it to risky for him to play football, but any other school can assume the risk? The term always had a vague definition to me.

We recently had a medically DQ'd player go play for another school, so are medical DQ's permanent or is it really another way of saying he is just out for the season? Or does it mean he can never play for Wake Forest again because our doctors deem it to risky for him to play football, but any other school can assume the risk? The term always had a vague definition to me.

Unfortunately, it looks like his football-playing days are over. Don't know details about his injuries.

LB is thinner with the Simpson news, but the move to 4-2-5 should help. Clawson also said that Jacquez Williams will play LB, so we've got Strnad, Smenda, Williams, Monroe, Burley as upperclassmen. Freshmen Jones, Hudson, and Ranson could play some. And Masterson can slide down. That's hopefully enough.

My understanding is "medically DQ'd" means they'll never play again for Wake, but Wake's doctors/trainers can't effectively prevent him playing for another school. I'd think any school taking a transfer who has been medically DQ'd by Wake would comb through Wake's medical records and do their own physicals if they were deciding to assume those risks.

Believe it was Tyler Bell who was medically DQ'd in the fall because he suffered torn ACLs in back-to-back years and then announced he was looking to transfer in February. Not sure he's landed anywhere.

My understanding is "medically DQ'd" means they'll never play again for Wake, but Wake's doctors/trainers can't effectively prevent him playing for another school. I'd think any school taking a transfer who has been medically DQ'd by Wake would comb through Wake's medical records and do their own physicals if they were deciding to assume those risks.

Believe it was Tyler Bell who was medically DQ'd in the fall because he suffered torn ACLs in back-to-back years and then announced he was looking to transfer in February. Not sure he's landed anywhere.

Yeah this is accurate. It's always been widely rumored that some schools will medically DQ non-contributors with injuries that would not be career ending, and then they'll go play at other schools. Of course, it can also be as simple different school physicians having different opinions on injuries as well.

I also noticed on the new roster that Jacorey Johns is still listed as an LB. Being that they mostly updated positions, numbers, and weight - there has to be a reason for this.

Could be that he is a bliitzing LB, but could be a move due to Simpson's DQ.

Back