• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

I also noticed on the new roster that Jacorey Johns is still listed as an LB. Being that they mostly updated positions, numbers, and weight - there has to be a reason for this.

Could be that he is a bliitzing LB, but could be a move due to Simpson's DQ.

Johns has always been listed as LB on the roster since day one, however he is listed on the game notes with the DE's. Les has consistently said that he's been playing more the drop DE role that Manny Walker plays. Les quoted Clawson yesterday that we brought in 3 LB's with Jones, Hudson and Ranson. With his size before Hemphill's intention to make the rover more of a safety role, I had expected Ranson moving to rover. Sherrod in the NSD interview said he'd be an outside the box LB which seems to fit the rover. That still could happen and I'm guessing we'll see Masterson and Ranson playing that hybrid spot at some point.

Johns has always been listed as LB on the roster since day one, however he is listed on the game notes with the DE's. Les has consistently said that he's been playing more the drop DE role that Manny Walker plays. Les quoted Clawson yesterday that we brought in 3 LB's with Jones, Hudson and Ranson. With his size before Hemphill's intention to make the rover more of a safety role, I had expected Ranson moving to rover. Sherrod in the NSD interview said he'd be an outside the box LB which seems to fit the rover. That still could happen and I'm guessing we'll see Masterson and Ranson playing that hybrid spot at some point.

Right, and Hinton has always been listed as a QB until they made the change to WR on the official website.

Thus, there is a reason Johns' position has not been changed to DE/DL. He is probably working as both a DE and LB with the news of Simpson.

Seems like we have a lot of number changes for next year on first blush:

Nasir Greer from 37 to 3
Steven Claude from 88 to 5
Ja'Sir Taylor from 24 to 6
Carlos Basham from 18 to 9
Nick Sciba from 96 to 4
Manny Walker from 94 to 13
Zach Tom 65 to 50
JeVionte Nash 63 to 53
Dion Bergen 53 to 93

I am sure I am missing some.

Freshmen numbers of note:

Shamar McCollum is 14
Michael Kern is 15
Nolan Groulx is 22
Donovan Greene is 24
Kendall Flowers is 27

Last edited:
Right, and Hinton has always been listed as a QB until they made the change to WR on the official website.

Thus, there is a reason Johns' position has not been changed to DE/DL. He is probably working as both a DE and LB with the news of Simpson.

Prior rosters are still listed on the website-drop down box on right side. You can pull up the 2018 roster and see Johns listed at LB. You could also check prior year game notes in the news archive if you'd like to see him listed with the DE's. I just think they aren't the best at staying on top of things-Tommy McEntire is still listed as in the coaches roster today and he left a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
https://247sports.com/college/wake-...ball-coach-Dave-Clawson-QA-Part-2--133809277/

On the reaction from players and staff toward the uptick in marketing and promotions, with the ticket sales and I’m A Fan campaign
Clawson: “I think positive. They’re really glad that we’re getting this type of support and this type of backing. There’s such an effort to fill the stadium. We’ve filled it occasionally, but sometimes we fill it based upon who we’re playing. I think we want to start filling it based on who we are. This is a step to doing that.”

On if he senses momentum
Clawson: “Absolutely. I was told the other day that our season ticket sales are up 20 percent over a five-year period. It’s getting better. Until it’s sold out every single game, standing room only, we’re not going to be happy. That’s our goal.”

Last edited:
I found the bit about changing practice to reduce injury very interesting. I’d love to see that deep dive he offered reporters. On one hand, reducing injuries could be a competitive advantage but I’d like to see any innovations they come up with making it around college athletics.

Received a text from my daughter who is at Wet n’ Wild in Greensboro with a friend, that Coach Clawson and the football team is there today. Having some fun before the hard work starts I guess.

I found the bit about changing practice to reduce injury very interesting. I’d love to see that deep dive he offered reporters. On one hand, reducing injuries could be a competitive advantage but I’d like to see any innovations they come up with making it around college athletics.

Clawson told Les and I that he'd dive in with us after a fall camp practice. This is all I've got to whet your whistle until then.

Clawson told Les and I that he'd dive in with us after a fall camp practice. This is all I've got to whet your whistle until then.

Very interesting. Technology and analytics are becoming a much bigger part of football, and all sports for that matter.
Would love to hear some specifics about what we are doing differently with S&C and at practice to reduce injuries......unless there are some 'secrets' that we would rather keep to ourselves.

Saw a video of some Mizzou football players wearing those tops mentioned in Conor's article. Could be the same technology being used across the country.

Astute Carney: https://247sports.com/college/wake-...on-rankings-and-more-in-QA-Part-3--133830372/

On if folks are finally starting to realize Wake Forest is legit
Carney: “The good thing is that I don’t care if the powerhouse sees me as a threat. Whether they see Wake Forest as a team they have to put together a great week of practice to get ready for, or maybe think they can have a relaxed week to recover — that’s not going to affect Saturday. We’re never going to have the preseason rankings and articles written about us, because we don’t have as many people reading. The rankings aren’t going to be in our favor, because we don’t have as many subscriptions that would be happy with those rankings.”

On if they use that as bulletin board material
Carney: “That’s old news. We weren’t the five stars that constantly got patted on the back. We were usually the ones who were overlooked to begin with. That’s who we are. We embrace it. We understand we have to work a little bit harder. We know we have to spend more time in the film room and study a little harder. We’ve accepted that challenge. Guys embrace it here once they get comfortable at Wake. We don’t play with a big chip on our shoulders because of that. We respect ourselves when we get to the game. We respect our opponents. We’ve outperformed our projections since I’ve been at Wake. The preseason doesn’t matter. It’s not a big fuel to our fire.”

Last edited:
Back