• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

It doesn't bother me at all getting no recognition.

Well, I would like to see Wake crack the top 25 soon. More visibility on TVs, as the score crawls show top 25 much more often than other teams.

More visibility means more potential recruits will have seen/heard the Wake name. Recruits who have heard the name might be more receptive to Wake's recruiting efforts.

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...es-longer-Part-3-of-ACC-Kickoff-QA-133858953/

On the challenge being tougher being in the Atlantic Division of the conference
Clawson: “Why would you say that? (laughs) We haven’t done it yet (beat Clemson). I think it’s good that they’re in our conference and our division. The rising tide lifts all ships. Right now they’re the gold standard in all of college football. They’re the measuring stick. If we’re shooting for that, it makes our program better. If we didn’t have a Clemson in our division, maybe we don’t get some of the things we just got to make our program better.”

Win games to earn respect. We need to be taken lightly by some (F$U) inorder to take them down. Some will think just getting dress will earn them a win (duke last year). Let them all put a W next to the Wake game now, so that they'll have to change it in the fall.

Pre-season polls are an attempt to hype the season and to generate renewed fan interest...that is particularly for Walmart fans who do not follow what is happening in the off-season. These polls determine nothing unless it is the competitive drive of teams like WF that are habitually under-rated.

As best I can recall Wake has not done well on those rare occasions when we have been picked more highly in pre-season polls. It is good for us to be over-looked.

That said, we will know that substantial progress has been made when our program is annually picked in the top 3 of the division.

I'm watching last season's State game. It was an impressive showing...probably the most encouraging game of last season. The play of the offensive and defensive lines was really strong against a more talented, or at least a much higher rated team, and gives a lot of encouragement for this season. One of my chief concerns is the loss of Glenn. He was such a good and aggressive tackler. I had become so accustomed to defensive backs failing to make one-on-one tackles; but not with Glenn. But the strongest encouragement, to me, was Newman. We were obviously being very conservative in the way we used him, but he was both tough and clutch.

Early last season I would not have believed that we would have ended the season optimistically. Now if we can just avoid the injury bug.

I'm watching last season's State game. It was an impressive showing...probably the most encouraging game of last season. The play of the offensive and defensive lines was really strong against a more talented, or at least a much higher rated team, and gives a lot of encouragement for this season. One of my chief concerns is the loss of Glenn. He was such a good and aggressive tackler. I had become so accustomed to defensive backs failing to make one-on-one tackles; but not with Glenn. But the strongest encouragement, to me, was Newman. We were obviously being very conservative in the way we used him, but he was both tough and clutch.

Early last season I would not have believed that we would have ended the season optimistically. Now if we can just avoid the injury bug.

Unless Newman is just really struggling in preseason camp the starting job should be his come the Utah State game. I like Sam, I think he's going to be good for us, but Newman showed me enough last year that unless he's for some reason taken a big step back, he should be the guy.

Unless Newman is just really struggling in preseason camp the starting job should be his come the Utah State game. I like Sam, I think he's going to be good for us, but Newman showed me enough last year that unless he's for some reason taken a big step back, he should be the guy.

Too bad you aren't the coach. Clawson will put the guy out there that puts the team in best position to win. By every indication it is an open battle. I have no dog in the Newman vs Hartman fight.

It appeared as though Newman had the 'pulse' of the team at the end. However, provided Hartman's arm strength is back, I'm okay with either one; his arm looked dead against Syracuse. I also hope Clawson will factor in the QB's behind Hartman. Hartman is the clear back-up, but if we can keep him to four or less games played, I like the thought of having him for another three years beyond the upcoming one.

Too bad you aren't the coach. Clawson will put the guy out there that puts the team in best position to win. By every indication it is an open battle. I have no dog in the Newman vs Hartman fight.

I don't have a dog in the fight either except Jamie Newman led us to 3 out of 4 wins in his starts, including one of our biggest road wins ever at State, a complete beatdown against Duke and a bowl win. If you don't think that should give him some kind of edge over Hartman coming into the season, I don't know what else to say. I don't think that should be the end all be all that decides it, but it should be Newman's job to lose.

It appeared as though Newman had the 'pulse' of the team at the end. However, provided Hartman's arm strength is back, I'm okay with either one; his arm looked dead against Syracuse. I also hope Clawson will factor in the QB's behind Hartman. Hartman is the clear back-up, but if we can keep him to four or less games played, I like the thought of having him for another three years beyond the upcoming one.

There's no doubt that this scenario has been considered IF this is how the season plays out. But as Clawson always says, they haven't made it through a season without having to use 2 QBs.

Clawson will play the QB who will best give them a chance to win. If its Newman and he succeeds, stays healthy, and the season progresses, there will be no reason to jeopardize Hartmans RS if its a matter of putting Bowers in to take a few snaps to finish the game because we are crushing Louisville and Duke.

There's no doubt that this scenario has been considered IF this is how the season plays out. But as Clawson always says, they haven't made it through a season without having to use 2 QBs.

Clawson will play the QB who will best give them a chance to win. If its Newman and he succeeds, stays healthy, and the season progresses, there will be no reason to jeopardize Hartmans RS if its a matter of putting Bowers in to take a few snaps to finish the game because we are crushing Louisville and Duke.

Taking into consideration that we haven't gotten through a season in the Clawson era with a QB making 11 starts, I hope Clawson takes into consideration the fact that Newman has no redshirt year left while Sam does. If the two are head-to-head going into Utah State, I hope Clawson sees the value of going with Newman as starter and an emergency QB ready to step in OTHER than Sam if Newman has a helmet issue,etc.. In other words, don't burn one of Sam's 4 games he's allowed while still keeping a redshirt year for a single play.

Others have raised the redshirting Sam scenario, and while that would be nice, don't see that as a factor for Clawson in how he uses his QBs this year.

Hartman's redshirt senior season would be 2022. That is so far off from now and so many other factors will come into play impacting who WF's QB will be in 2022 that it really does not move the needle on who plays QB this season or how WF uses its QB's this season. Clawson will coach the team to win as many games as possible in 2019, if that results in Sam playing in 4 or fewer games, great, but Clawson isn't going to hesitate to use Sam for a series or in a game because of who may or may not be available at QB 3 years from now. 2022 will take care of itself.

Last edited:
Back