• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

I like the way our schedule sets up

That Utah State game is going to be a sneaky tough opener and who knows what the Tarholes will look like. If we could go 4-0 out of conference and get a couple of road ACC wins, it could be a big year.

OL is pretty spot-on, well done.
Masterson would start at S over Redd
DT would be a 3-player rotation, Bergan could start (and be really good, if he takes a freshman-to-sophomore leap)
Groulx told me a month ago that he'll start as an outside receiver, then move inside (kinda mirrors Bachman's path)
LB all of a sudden is going to have a ton of depth

Nice work.

Davis was ahead of Masterson and Redd at the beginning of the season I believe. If healthy, seems like he’d have the upper hand.

I also recall Burley being spoken off highly. Also forgot about Smenda who I believe had been solid this season.

Davis was ahead of Masterson and Redd at the beginning of the season I believe. If healthy, seems like he’d have the upper hand.

I also recall Burley being spoken off highly. Also forgot about Smenda who I believe had been solid this season.

Good point. I think Smenda could start or be the first LB off the bench behind Strnad and Taylor.

I have a gut feeling Masterson has played so well at LB that he could move to a Rover role. Or that role that Cam Glenn has moved into post-Sawvel where he has played closer to the LOS.

Very good call, forgot about Coby. Probably the team's best cover DB other than Bassey and Henderson. His healthy return would mean he and Greer could be your safeties, Masterson could be something of ultra utility player, knowing both safety spots, rover, Buck LB ... he'd definitely be on the field.

There aren’t many players who are 5-9/170. Taylor Gabriel is even smaller and he’s having a good season with the Bears.

But Antonio Brown and Tyreek Hill are around 5-10/180 and they’re two of the top WR in the league.

Most of the small guys are blazing fast which Dortch isn’t. That said, don’t see any reason he can’t be as good as Ryan Switzer who was a 4th rounder and had a good game tonight for Pittsburgh.

Great work!
- Looking for Bergan and Smenda to start.
- Hoping for Mike Allen to make the jump, and be Duke/Boogie type
- Keeping things positive rather than negative...really hope anyone else wins the job behind Henderson.
- Sciba, Maggio, Diemel all back is great. Need KO guy.
- Excited for all injured guys back (Davis, Burley, Monroe, etc)
- QB competition going to be healthy. Like Newman and Hartman both, a lot.

If you could have a grad transfer or two what position? Mine is backing up Henderson and KO guy for touchbacks.

Here's my quick guess

QB Newman / Hartman / Freshman (Assuming Hinton is gone)
RB Carney / Beal-Smith / Delaney
WR Surratt / Waydale
WR Dortch / Groulx / J. Robinson
WR Washington / Claude / A. Perry
TE Freudenthal / Chapman / Whitehart
LT Herron / Watson / Suhren
LG Nash / Maginn
OC Tom / Unsure
RG Gilliam / Nya
RT Benzinger / Rappelya

DE Basham / Allen
DT Tyler Williams / Bergan
DT Kamara / Freshman
DE Walker / Bothroyd
LB Strnad / Burley / Monroe
LB Taylor / Simpson / Johns
LB/Rov Williams / Masterson
CB Bassey / Keith
CB Henderson / Taylor
S Greer / Redd / Davis
S Redd / Davis / Hardimon

Would be good to pick up a grad transfer at DT, CB and S. Maybe RB too.

Great work!
- Looking for Bergan and Smenda to start.
- Hoping for Mike Allen to make the jump, and be Duke/Boogie type
- Keeping things positive rather than negative...really hope anyone else wins the job behind Henderson.
- Sciba, Maggio, Diemel all back is great. Need KO guy.
- Excited for all injured guys back (Davis, Burley, Monroe, etc)
- QB competition going to be healthy. Like Newman and Hartman both, a lot.

If you could have a grad transfer or two what position? Mine is backing up Henderson and KO guy for touchbacks.

Ivan Mora is coming as a kicker and punter. He's good at both. Regularly puts kick offs in the end zone.

I hope he stays, but he’s still going to be 5’9” 170 after next season too, so he’s still in the same boat you describe. I would think it all depends on how much he could possibly enhance his status in the draft by playing another year here and weighing that against the odds of getting injured.

Most players don’t improve their draft stock by growing (though that occasionally happens), rather, they improve their stock through dominating performances (either in college games or the combine). I don’t think Dortch will have incredible combine numbers but I do think he could have more incredible games, which could really help his draft stock.

Would be good to pick up a grad transfer at DT, CB and S. Maybe RB too.

We can always use a good DT and RB. Especially with the way injuries have been happening.
I think our DB situation should be ok as long as we get our guys healthy again.

Is Arkeem Byrd supposed to be back? I think he has potential to be a pretty explosive player if we can get him on the field.

Most players don’t improve their draft stock by growing (though that occasionally happens), rather, they improve their stock through dominating performances (either in college games or the combine). I don’t think Dortch will have incredible combine numbers but I do think he could have more incredible games, which could really help his draft stock.

Agree.
Last year, when Dortch and Wolford got in sync, they were awesome.
He's still getting used to 2 new QBs this year. By next season, they should know each other well (timing, routes, etc).
Plus, with our other good receivers, defenses won't be able to concentrate solely on Dortch. Similar to yesterday. Should be good for everyone.

Is Arkeem Byrd supposed to be back? I think he has potential to be a pretty explosive player if we can get him on the field.

He was switched to defense when he got hurt earlier this year.
Delaney is our next RB. He got into the game late yesterday with Hinton.

And Clawson has said some good things about Delaney recently.

Yeah I remember he switched to the other side of the ball. Would love to see him flying around on special teams and play that hybrid position that Glenn has been playing on defense.

Very good call, forgot about Coby. Probably the team's best cover DB other than Bassey and Henderson. His healthy return would mean he and Greer could be your safeties, Masterson could be something of ultra utility player, knowing both safety spots, rover, Buck LB ... he'd definitely be on the field.

I believe Masterson has really helped the defense the second half of the season.

Here's my quick guess

QB Newman / Hartman / Freshman (Assuming Hinton is gone)
RB Carney / Beal-Smith / Delaney
WR Surratt / Waydale
WR Dortch / Groulx / J. Robinson
WR Washington / Claude / A. Perry
TE Freudenthal / Chapman / Whitehart
LT Herron / Watson / Suhren
LG Nash / Maginn
OC Tom / Unsure
RG Gilliam / Nya
RT Benzinger / Rappelya

DE Basham / Allen
DT Tyler Williams / Bergan
DT Kamara / Freshman
DE Walker / Bothroyd
LB Strnad / Burley / Monroe
LB Taylor / Simpson / Johns
LB/Rov Williams / Masterson
CB Bassey / Keith
CB Henderson / Taylor
S Greer / Redd / Davis
S Redd / Davis / Hardimon

Guys, Greene is a 4 star recruit who could have picked about any school in the country. He plans on playing as a freshman. Don’t sell him short.

Guys, Greene is a 4 star recruit who could have picked about any school in the country. He plans on playing as a freshman. Don’t sell him short.

No one is selling him short I think she will be really good for us. But I also think he's going to have to wait his turn behind the talent we have now. We have the most talent I've ever seen at wide receiver at wake since I became a fan 30 years ago

Beal-Smith has had a few good moments but he hasn't looked as good as the other running backs maybe that'll be different with more experience, maybe he hits gets going faster than colburn or carney not giving time for things to develop. One running back I haven't heard anything about is Courtney McKinney how does he look do in summer or how does he look during practice? He was the number 65 back in the country last year

Back