• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

Groulx is the perfect reviver to come in and start in Bachman’s role this year. Has the same incredible route running ability and hands, but is more dynamic. The dude is an absolute beast.

Obviously really like Greene too but it’ll be hard for him to pass either of Washington and Surratt on the depth chart. I hope he does.

Groulx’s dad tweeted out a picture of an in-how visit today with the last line being “starts in January” so safe to assume he’s enrolling early. That would lead me to believe the staff knows he’s a can’t miss talent and I think he’ll be starting in Bachman’s role next year.

I think Newman will be our starter next year. He had a bad game against Pitt but great performances against State and Duke. I like both QBs but think Newman has an edge here with his size and arm strength.

We’re going to beat the shit out of the Holes next year and I’m going to love every second of it.

Groulx is the perfect reviver to come in and start in Bachman’s role this year. Has the same incredible route running ability and hands, but is more dynamic. The dude is an absolute beast.

Obviously really like Greene too but it’ll be hard for him to pass either of Washington and Surratt on the depth chart. I hope he does.

Groulx’s dad tweeted out a picture of an in-how visit today with the last line being “starts in January” so safe to assume he’s enrolling early. That would lead me to believe the staff knows he’s a can’t miss talent and I think he’ll be starting in Bachman’s role next year.

I think Newman will be our starter next year. He had a bad game against Pitt but great performances against State and Duke. I like both QBs but think Newman has an edge here with his size and arm strength.

We’re going to beat the shit out of the Holes next year and I’m going to love every second of it.

God I hope to make it to that game next year.

Guys, Greene is a 4 star recruit who could have picked about any school in the country. He plans on playing as a freshman. Don’t sell him short.

Are you expecting him to be better than r-sr Washington or r-soph Surratt as a true freshman playing nearly the same role they do? He might be projected to have more upside, but he’s still in high school.

Are you expecting him to be better than r-sr Washington or r-soph Surratt as a true freshman playing nearly the same role they do? He might be projected to have more upside, but he’s still in high school.

If he redshirts, it is an endorsement of the quality of receivers we have already on campus(and I hope he can). I believe he is enrolling early as well as Groulx. If the injury bug strikes again, Greene could move to defense and play safety. Dude can cover the field and his acceleration on contact is unreal. I think however he is used, he will be a great asset to WF the next few years.

if the new WRs are as good as hyped then it wouldn't surprise me to see Washington's reps go down

had some nice games, but just not a consistent presence out there despite his size

Unless Washington returns to 2nd half of 2017 form, I'm fine with him riding the pine. Dude has made a lot of huge drops and goes silent for way too long for someone with his size and ability. Hopefully he has a great off-season.

QB depth

Newman will really push Hartman. One huge advantage is his size He can stand in there even under pressure and release at last second before getting hit because of his size. He did that on the winning td at NCSU. He also did that twice Saturday in the first quarter. He also has vision advantage because of his height. I don’t think Hartman can do that because he can’t afford to get hit that often. If Newman can remain accurate, he will be tough to beat out. Good problem for Clawson to have

Washington is already looking like Surratt's backup, regardless of the freshmen. If Greene is gonna out play Surratt, then it's a no-brainer. If not, might not be worth it to burn his shirt even if he's better than Washington, who I wouldn't consider a liability. Then again, Clawson seems like he's always been fine playing freshmen if they make the two-deep.

Schedule for next year:

8/30 - Utah State
9/7 - at Rice
9/14 - North Carolina (non-conference)
9/21 - Elon

ACC schedule (dates TBA):
Home: Florida State, Louisville, NC State, Duke
Away: Boston College, Clemson, Syracuse, Virginia Tech

Utah State game is a tough start to the year. They finished this year ranked 10-2, have been in the Top 25, their QB is only a sophomore and their top RBs are both juniors.

Will be weird to play UNC out-of-conference.

With a ton of unknowns, my way-too-early prediction is 7-5 (4-4).

Schedule for next year:

8/30 - Utah State
9/7 - at Rice
9/14 - North Carolina (non-conference)
9/21 - Elon

ACC schedule (dates TBA):
Home: Florida State, Louisville, NC State, Duke
Away: Boston College, Clemson, Syracuse, Virginia Tech

Utah State game is a tough start to the year. They finished this year ranked 10-2, have been in the Top 25, their QB is only a sophomore and their top RBs are both juniors.

Will be weird to play UNC out-of-conference.

With a ton of unknowns, my way-too-early prediction is 7-5 (4-4).

Should go 3-1 out of conference. Would love to go undefeated at home in-conference.

Cuse with no Dungey should be winnable. BC, VT should be toss ups. I see 7-5

9-3 or 10-2 or bust. We going to wreck folks next year I feel it. And why Utah St. first over Elon?

I think that Utah State game sets up well for us. They should get a lot of hype coming into the season and are having to travel across the country to play us. Should be a team that we have a physical Talent Advantage top to bottom

I wonder if the staff has ever considered moving Surratt inside to TE? He has phenomenal hands and good size, but lacks foot speed to get separation on the outside. He would be a coverage nightmare for a linebacker or safety. Given the numbers that Serigne put up in this offense, that could be a path for Surratt to play on Sundays.

I wonder if the staff has ever considered moving Surratt inside to TE? He has phenomenal hands and good size, but lacks foot speed to get separation on the outside. He would be a coverage nightmare for a linebacker or safety. Given the numbers that Serigne put up in this offense, that could be a path for Surratt to play on Sundays.

He would need to gain about 25 lbs in a hurry

Surratt has the build and talent to be an NFL receiver. If he keeps progressing with this staff, he has the potential to be great.

Back