• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

Surratt is fine at WR. He has caught enough sideline balls to convince me that whatever he lacks in foot speed he makes up in ball skil.s

So what about transfers out ? Bowers ?

Whoever is tasked with replacing #48 will have a man's work ahead of himself....IMO our MVP ! ( Sciba is Runner Up )

Masterson ? His speed is below average and tackling was erratic.

Are we sure Herron will be 100% come July ? And Benzinger ? He had a rough year.

As noted, we'll need much better distance on KO's next year.

Lastly, despite all the on-paper depth, we're really going to miss Bachman.

At his last mid-week presser, Clawson said that the two 4th year juniors that may or may not be back (he said the decision to return has to be mutual; the player has to want to come back, and WF has to want the player back - a point Clawson emphasized) are Hinton and Nate Mays.

Should go 3-1 out of conference. Would love to go undefeated at home in-conference.

Cuse with no Dungey should be winnable. BC, VT should be toss ups. I see 7-5

Seems like we've played Virginia Tech a lot. Seems like forever since we've played the U.

My other #hottake for 2019 is that a healthy Boogie Basham is at least HM All-ACC.

It's hard to predict All-ACC with so many teams.

I think that Utah State game sets up well for us. They should get a lot of hype coming into the season and are having to travel across the country to play us. Should be a team that we have a physical Talent Advantage top to bottom

That f'ing Utah State game is set for a Friday night? Going to look like a Duke-esque crowd at that one.

I think that Utah State game sets up well for us. They should get a lot of hype coming into the season and are having to travel across the country to play us. Should be a team that we have a physical Talent Advantage top to bottom
Any chance they lose their coach?

Any chance they lose their coach?

Utah State's Matt Wells is an alum. That said, he has been rumored to be on the list for both the Colorado and Texas Tech openings.

Utah State will return their stud QB Jordan Love, but they have 12 senior/grad student starters, including 4 on the OL. Will be a tough game, but they lose more seniors than WF.

Last edited:
ETA: this assumes he enrolls early. Otherwise, it could be mid-season before he earns playing time.

Last edited:
Who else is PUMPED for next year?

If Dortch returns and Herron makes a complete recovery, expecting big things from the offense. Believe Tom and Nash have been really solid on the O-line, although will need to shore up depth. Wonder if Groulx or Greene will end up redshirting given the WR depth.

I’m hoping for huge improvements on D. Biggest loss with be Glenn but Coby Davis should be back and the LBs should be way better with Burley and Monroe. Biggest question mark is probably interior line.

Starter projections (i really have no idea)

QB Newman / Hartman
RB Carney | backup RB
WR Dortch | Claude
WR Surratt | Washington
WR Groulx | Robinson
TE Freudenthal | Chapman
LT Herron
LG Nash
OC Tom
RG Gilliam
RT Benzinger

DE Bashan
DT Tyler Williams
DT Kamara
DE Allen
LB Strnad
LB Burley
LB Masterson / Monroe
CB Bassey
CB Henderson
S Greer
S Davis

Some big questions
1. Who starts at QB?
2. What happens at WR re: Dortch and the freshman
3. RB depth — Beal-Smith has not been particularly good
4. Injured guys coming back
5. D Tackles

Any redshirting freshmen we should expect big things from? Bergan and Bothroydbhave played a bit I know.

I forget. Did Dortch redshirt? I thought that the rules are that no one can declare for NFL draft until 3 years after high school graduation.

Dortch redshirted.

Let me clear up the spelling of his name, it is Jaquarii.... (Roberson) :naughty:

So what about transfers out ? Bowers ?

Whoever is tasked with replacing #48 will have a man's work ahead of himself....IMO our MVP ! ( Sciba is Runner Up )

Masterson ? His speed is below average and tackling was erratic.

Are we sure Herron will be 100% come July ? And Benzinger ? He had a rough year.

As noted, we'll need much better distance on KO's next year.

Lastly, despite all the on-paper depth, we're really going to miss Bachman.

Why would Masterson transfer out? He’s going to be starting.

Not sure i understand the fear of playing Utah State next year, a team we beat by 40 points last year. We will steamroll them and Boogie and Mike will put their QB on his back at least 8 times.

Back