• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

Masterson was a step or two slow at safety, often put him out of place tackling and often was playing catch up. At LB his speed is not so out of place and he played much better and was far more efficient. I don't see him moving back to safety where he struggled so much.

Quick question. Does the 4-game rule count in bowl games? If a freshman played in four regular season games, preserving his eligibility, can he play in the bowl game without losing the Shirt?

Quick question. Does the 4-game rule count in bowl games? If a freshman played in four regular season games, preserving his eligibility, can he play in the bowl game without losing the Shirt?

It counts, yes. So examples are: Zion Keith and Rondell Bothroyd played in 4 games, you won't see them in a bowl game. Peyton Woulard has played 3, he'll be available.

It counts, yes. So examples are: Zion Keith and Rondell Bothroyd played in 4 games, you won't see them in a bowl game. Peyton Woulard has played 3, he'll be available.

Do you have a count on Bergan? He recorded stats in four games according to his profile on the official website.

Not sure we'd even have an option to hold him out of a bowl game with Tyler Williams injured and him being on the two-deep.

Last edited:
What about players that were hurt being healthy for the bowl game? Guessing Taylor will have recovered from mono at that point. Any others?

What about players that were hurt being healthy for the bowl game? Guessing Taylor will have recovered from mono at that point. Any others?

Taylor played the whole game on Saturday.

This is really good info. So Keith and Bothroyd are only one’s unavailable?
Everyone else is at 5+ or 3-?

Masterson was a step or two slow at safety, often put him out of place tackling and often was playing catch up. At LB his speed is not so out of place and he played much better and was far more efficient. I don't see him moving back to safety where he struggled so much.

Agree....and maybe gain 10-12 lbs.

Not sure i understand the fear of playing Utah State next year, a team we beat by 40 points last year. We will steamroll them and Boogie and Mike will put their QB on his back at least 8 times.

Uh they are entirely different team this year. Been ranked most of the year their coach will be in year three. They will have a great qb and rb back

Yeah, Bergan has played in every game. He's been a valuable piece for depth and should start next year, or be the 3rd DT in rotation behind Kamara and T. Williams.

DJ Taylor has been back for 2 games. Pretty incredible recovery from mono.

Krukow, yes, those seem to be the only 2 that are right at 4 games. At least, they are for defense. It's tougher to figure out offense, but there really haven't been many freshmen playing on offense (other than the obvious with Hartman and Sciba). Mike Edwards is one I'll ask about, because we heard he'd be used in FG/PAT for his size in the last 4 games, but I can't remember seeing him on the field.

Injured guys back from bowl, off the top of my head: Colburn will be back (talked to him Saturday, will have a story on him up today). I think, and this is just an educated guess right now, Amari Henderson could be back. I'd say Ja'Cquez Williams will probably be back. Smenda is a maybe (reason for his absence for the last 2 games is unknown, I think). ...

And that makes Hartman the huge question. Given how Jamie has played at State and Duke, that Sam's foot was in a boot for at least a week, I'm doubtful Sam will return. To me, it doesn't seem worth it to put a hobbled QB back there to run RPOs. Hell, that's why Wolford didn't play at Clemson last year.

What is the mystery ailment for Amari Henderson? Is it the same *injury* that bothered him off and on all year? Or a bunch of different things. This is two years now with him so am starting to wonder if it an academic thing and Clawson simply does not publicize academic suspensions ... have not read of football-related academic suspension in years ...

DJ Taylor played sparingly against Pitt fwiw. He was okay against Duke but still seemed a step slow, which would make sense. We simply needed him ...

I think Amari is simply our newer Campanaro player. Always hobbled by something.

What is the mystery ailment for Amari Henderson? Is it the same *injury* that bothered him off and on all year? Or a bunch of different things. This is two years now with him so am starting to wonder if it an academic thing and Clawson simply does not publicize academic suspensions ... have not read of football-related academic suspension in years ...

DJ Taylor played sparingly against Pitt fwiw. He was okay against Duke but still seemed a step slow, which would make sense. We simply needed him ...

Knee injury in practice before the Pitt game. Haven't heard so much as a whisper about it being academic related. Missed the Towson game as a precaution, just like Cam Glenn. He was hurt last year, IIRC, early against ND. Made trip to Cuse, didn't start, came in for the 2nd half (didn't finish). Started the Belk Bowl, got hurt, didn't finish.

I think he just gets banged up, as DeacsOrDie says.

Yeah, Bergan has played in every game. He's been a valuable piece for depth and should start next year, or be the 3rd DT in rotation behind Kamara and T. Williams.

DJ Taylor has been back for 2 games. Pretty incredible recovery from mono.

Krukow, yes, those seem to be the only 2 that are right at 4 games. At least, they are for defense. It's tougher to figure out offense, but there really haven't been many freshmen playing on offense (other than the obvious with Hartman and Sciba). Mike Edwards is one I'll ask about, because we heard he'd be used in FG/PAT for his size in the last 4 games, but I can't remember seeing him on the field.

Injured guys back from bowl, off the top of my head: Colburn will be back (talked to him Saturday, will have a story on him up today). I think, and this is just an educated guess right now, Amari Henderson could be back. I'd say Ja'Cquez Williams will probably be back. Smenda is a maybe (reason for his absence for the last 2 games is unknown, I think). ...

And that makes Hartman the huge question. Given how Jamie has played at State and Duke, that Sam's foot was in a boot for at least a week, I'm doubtful Sam will return. To me, it doesn't seem worth it to put a hobbled QB back there to run RPOs. Hell, that's why Wolford didn't play at Clemson last year.

Thanks for the follow up. I see that Ha-Ha Kenneth Dicks III, was on the participation chart for Duke but don’t remember him out there. Think that would give him 4 too if true. Can you confirm? Having questionable Henderson and Keith, Dicks, and Grate out would be a really thin position.

Knee injury in practice before the Pitt game. Haven't heard so much as a whisper about it being academic related. Missed the Towson game as a precaution, just like Cam Glenn. He was hurt last year, IIRC, early against ND. Made trip to Cuse, didn't start, came in for the 2nd half (didn't finish). Started the Belk Bowl, got hurt, didn't finish.

I think he just gets banged up, as DeacsOrDie says.

Jaybone’s basically a vegetable at this point. Don’t feel compelled to engage in his weird ass thoughts.

Back