• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

Thanks for the follow up. I see that Ha-Ha Kenneth Dicks III, was on the participation chart for Duke but don’t remember him out there. Think that would give him 4 too if true. Can you confirm? Having questionable Henderson and Keith, Dicks, and Grate out would be a really thin position.

Yes, true. Dicks is the third freshman who won't play in a bowl. Not sure how I missed him.

thinking about the QB battle, one advantage Hartman has is that he ran the RPO at Clawson's preferred breakneck speed this fall. Often to his detriment, in my opinion. From my eyes it looked like against top competition, Hartman got overwhelmed at what he was being asked to do - get hit hard, seven seconds later get to the line, snap, repeat. I thought he made mental and physical errors in part because of the pace. Of course, he gained key experience and should be far better for it.

Newman was not asked to run the offense at such a high pace except in spots - and in two of three games, he played very, very well. But no question Clawson will want him to play fast next year.

It will be interesting to see how the QB battle shapes up

I think Clawson may have realized that he didn't need to run tempo 100% of the time in order to be effective. He has his daughter clocking how long the defense stays off the field. Seems to indicate a permanent change.

Now I do think that helps Hartman because part of his problem was having to make reads and decisions too quickly. He will be better in a less hectic offense as well.

Our two best wins came when we slowed the tempo on offense down this past season. I think it’s good to go uptempo but not the entire game.

Our two best wins came when we slowed the tempo on offense down this past season. I think it’s good to go uptempo but not the entire game.

I like the way Wake used the tempo with Newman. If you get a little momentum and notice that the defense is gassed or on their heels, then hammer down. Otherwise, a more moderate, but not slow pace with a good run/pass balance. I think Newman also seems to be better at situation management.

Hartman is a gunslinger and will hopefully gain backup experience (and 25lbs) the next couple years and be unstoppable as an upperclassman.

Louisville 72 plays (56 points) W
Syracuse 95 plays (24 points) L
NCSU 71 plays (27 points) W
Pitt 77 plays (13 points) L
Duke 80 plays (59 points) W

Pretty amazing that we scored 50 in four games this year, including two conference games. We had three last year, including one conference game.

Our two best wins came when Newman was the QB as well.

Newman has to be the front runner going into spring. With his size he gives us things Sam doesn't. If Newman can continue to improve his passing accuracy and in 2 of 3 games it's been good, there shouldn't be much competition. I think Sam is great and will be very good for us, but in the Duke game Newman stood in there against the blitz and delivered accurate passes, where Sam would've been covering up. Best case is Newman wins the job for next season, stays healthy, and Sam only plays in a few games during mop up time and redshirts with 3 years eligibility left and he starts after Jamie graduates.

Very true and Hartman had our worse loss getting blown out by a FSU team that didn't get bowl eligible this year even after we started out up 10-0 in that game. All other Ws for Hartman were against bad teams except for Tulane which came on strong down the end and just got bowl eligible like the Deacs. So he does have one quality W where he really shined.

I think Clawson may have realized that he didn't need to run tempo 100% of the time in order to be effective. He has his daughter clocking how long the defense stays off the field. Seems to indicate a permanent change

IIRC based on what they said on the broadcast he has someone clock it every game, his daughter just did it this game since it was Thanksgiving break

Pretty amazing that we scored 50 in four games this year, including two conference games. We had three last year, including one conference game.

In three of the 50+ point games the defense scored a TD and in 2 of the 4 we didn't score in the 4th.

IIRC based on what they said on the broadcast he has someone clock it every game, his daughter just did it this game since it was Thanksgiving break

I missed that it was an every game thing. I thought it was recent.

Very true and Hartman had our worse loss getting blown out by a FSU team that didn't get bowl eligible this year even after we started out up 10-0 in that game. All other Ws for Hartman were against bad teams except for Tulane which came on strong down the end and just got bowl eligible like the Deacs. So he does have one quality W where he really shined.

I wish we had slowed the tempo at FSU; we ran 104 mostly ineffective plays (Newman ran some of them after the outcome was decided and did not impress)

I just found it on the replay at the 55 minute mark, they didn't say that we'd been doing it for X amount of time but my interpretation of it was it was something we'd been doing for at least a while and she got given the gig this week since she was at the game. So it may have been something we debuted recently

I just found it on the replay at the 55 minute mark, they didn't say that we'd been doing it for X amount of time but my interpretation of it was it was something we'd been doing for at least a while and she got given the gig this week since she was at the game. So it may have been something we debuted recently

I find it hard to believe we were focusing on it at FSU - the game we went into with one healthy scholarship linebacker

Here are our 9 first half drives in the FSU game by TOP:

3:06 (FG)
1:12 (punt)
2:04 (TD)
1:56 (downs)
1:41 (punt)
0:48 (int)
1:05 (punt)
2:23 (punt)
1:34 (punt)

I think Clawson may have realized that he didn't need to run tempo 100% of the time in order to be effective. He has his daughter clocking how long the defense stays off the field. Seems to indicate a permanent change.

Now I do think that helps Hartman because part of his problem was having to make reads and decisions too quickly. He will be better in a less hectic offense as well.

Hartman was at his worse playing too fast. He would get hit a couple of times then get happy feet in the pocket, and hold the ball too long. A lot of his sacks were more that than the o line. There were a couple of times this season where I was yelling for Clawsen to just rest him for a series.

We have two solid QBs. That is what it takes if you are running the QB like we do.

One thing possibly being overlooked here is that Hartman will likely be much bigger and stronger next season which could help him in the QB battle. However, the State and Duke games have likely given Newman an enormous amount of confidence that he can parlay into even better decision making and accuracy next season.This will aid him in what should be an epic battle starting next spring

One thing possibly being overlooked here is that Hartman will likely be much bigger and stronger next season which could help him in the QB battle. However, the State and Duke games have likely given Newman an enormous amount of confidence that he can parlay into even better decision making and accuracy next season.This will aid him in what should be an epic battle starting next spring

I'd add that it's probably going to last into summer and fall. Yall probably know more about how Clawson approaches QB battles from the years of John-Kendall than I do, but it just seems to me like Clawson will want as many practices and reps as possible to evaluate them.

Back