• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

One thing possibly being overlooked here is that Hartman will likely be much bigger and stronger next season which could help him in the QB battle. However, the State and Duke games have likely given Newman an enormous amount of confidence that he can parlay into even better decision making and accuracy next season.This will aid him in what should be an epic battle starting next spring

I think Newman's two TD passes while being blitzed against Dook clearly sets him apart. Those were NFL throws and he did not flinch.

I'd add that it's probably going to last into summer and fall. Yall probably know more about how Clawson approaches QB battles from the years of John-Kendall than I do, but it just seems to me like Clawson will want as many practices and reps as possible to evaluate them.

Wake fans are very used to QB battles.

Clawson doesn’t like to show his hand until the last minute. He also doesn’t want to name a starter early to kill the competition level at that position.

However, if a clear starter arises in the fall, Claw will want to get him as many first team reps as possible. He may just not announce it.

Clawson doesn’t like to show his hand until the last minute. He also doesn’t want to name a starter early to kill the competition level at that position.

However, if a clear starter arises in the fall, Claw will want to get him as many first team reps as possible. He may just not announce it.

Agree.
Isn't it nice to have 2 - or maybe 3 - very good options to choose from?

I’m surprised not many have brought this up, but if Hinton is not here next year, we will only have 2 playable QBs on the roster. Bowers is not playable at this point and barely got any reps in spring. Kern will be coming in as a true freshman and will likely need 2-3 years to develop before he can be given a shot. I personally think we should do everything we can to keep Hinton another year given our QBs tendency to not stay healthy during the season.

I’m surprised not many have brought this up, but if Hinton is not here next year, we will only have 2 playable QBs on the roster. Bowers is not playable at this point and barely got any reps in spring. Kern will be coming in as a true freshman and will likely need 2-3 years to develop before he can be given a shot. I personally think we should do everything we can to keep Hinton another year given our QBs tendency to not stay healthy during the season.

Totally agree.
That why I said 'maybe 3' above.
Probably should have said 'hopefully 3'

I'd add that it's probably going to last into summer and fall. Yall probably know more about how Clawson approaches QB battles from the years of John-Kendall than I do, but it just seems to me like Clawson will want as many practices and reps as possible to evaluate them.

Realizing clearly this is the more exciting story especially for casual observers, hopefully the W-SJ finds some other battles of interest at other positions to balance out the picture of the state of WF Football in 2019. The QB competition simply reflects the core of DC&C’s philosophy for a developmental program: A position is secured by consistently recorded performance on and off the field rather than by tenure.

Given the heightened anticipation this year for home games against all the in state ACC schools there should be numerous preseason stories of value to readers on the front page above the fold. Key word: LOCAL.

Phil Steele picks WF to finish 6th in the Atlantic (ahead of L’ville), but to go 4-0 OOC, including beating N.C., and to play in the Music City Bowl.

PS All-ACC Deacs:

1st team: CB Essang Bassey; LS Dayton Diemel
2nd team: RB Cade Carney; OL Justin Herron
3rd team: LB Justin Strnad
4th team: OL Jake Benzinger; DE Boogie Basham; K Nick Sciba; P Dom Maggie

Position ranks within the 14 team ACC:

QB 5th
RB 11th
OL 7th
REC 9th
DL 13th
LB 11th
DB 12th
ST 10th
Coaching 3rd

Wake's defense was much better at the end of the year than it was at the beginning. Seems the story line is that the offense will be worse (which I think is highly debatable), but that the defense will stink with no consideration regarding the improvement over the course of last year.

to me, Wake has all the markings as a sleeper.

Phil usually undervalues teams of Wake's ilk based off recruiting rankings. And the difference between 2nd and 6th could be quite small.

Opened -3.5 faves vs. Utah State at the Westgate yesterday

The injuries we had on the defensive side of the ball were just ridiculous. I’d love to play that BC game again with a healthy defense, particularly at linebacker.

Wake's defense was much better at the end of the year than it was at the beginning. Seems the story line is that the offense will be worse (which I think is highly debatable), but that the defense will stink with no consideration regarding the improvement over the course of last year.

to me, Wake has all the markings as a sleeper.

It’s debatable but we are losing Dortch, Colburn, Bachman, and a decent chunk of the OL. No outsider would project us to be better based on the relative unknowns at WR and OL. They also wouldn’t give proper weight to Newman’s late season performance. If he simply improves, we should be better off.

"No outsider" seems strong. We're weaker in those areas but the D should be better and not having to rely on rookie QBs anymore is a big benefit

The surprising one to me is RB corps ranked 11th, and worst of the offensive position groups. I know it's unproven behind Carney, but we're returning a 1,000 yard back. Should be a strength.

Realizing clearly this is the more exciting story especially for casual observers, hopefully the W-SJ finds some other battles of interest at other positions to balance out the picture of the state of WF Football in 2019. The QB competition simply reflects the core of DC&C’s philosophy for a developmental program: A position is secured by consistently recorded performance on and off the field rather than by tenure.

Given the heightened anticipation this year for home games against all the in state ACC schools there should be numerous preseason stories of value to readers on the front page above the fold. Key word: LOCAL.

Well, if you'd like to take something I wrote 3 weeks before the Birmingham Bowl and dictate coverage, I guess it's a free country.

But I'd hope that throughout the spring, when I wrote 18 byline stories and only 2 or 3 were solely focused on the QBs, I proved that I'm well aware that there's a lot more to the story than whether Jamie Newman or Sam Hartman starts against Utah State.

But maybe that's just me.

Yeah, not sure we can ask for better LOCAL coverage of Wake sports in Conor and Les

Back