• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

Dave Clawson is a credit to WFU and has forgotten more football than I'll ever know

I hope this year, especially if depth is an issue defensively, he is a bit more judicious with the high tempo which in my opinion contributed to our defensive depth issues last year

Varying the tempo, like he did the last few games may be more effective than pedal to the metal all the time. Go very fast to make the opponent limit personnel changes. Go a little slower at times to give the defense a little more rest.

All this talk about the 2019 football preview.
It's going to be hard to wait until August 30 and the season to start.
I am so ready for football. I am fired up and ready for kick off.

CBS Sports ranks Clawson #5 among the 14 ACC football coaches heading into the season: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2019-acc-coach-rankings-dabo-swinney-leads-the-way-with-many-up-and-coming-talents-in-tow/

Got to give credit to Cutcliffe for turning around a previously horrible Duke program, but the they are 7-17 in the ACC over the last 3 years, and in the weaker division of the ACC, Duke has finished 4th, 6th, 4th and 6th each of the last 4 years. He seems old and tired to me. Would not rank him as the 2nd best coach in the ACC, but perhaps, I'm putting too much stock into the absolute beat-down that WF administered in Durham last year, but I would take Clawson 10 times out of 10 over Cut right now.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think Cut is overrated as well. Duke was a disaster before he took the job but I put that down more to how awful the program was being run before he got there than any magic he's working. Still overachieving relative to how Duke probably should be doing, granted, but not demonstrably so, IMO.

Don't get why it would be harder to win at Duke than Wake. I'd argue the opposite

FYI hearing the ACC was behind the switch of our UNC game from Thursday to Friday. Some rule that teams have to have the same amount of rest if it's a Thursday game, since our Rice game got switched from Sat to Fri we then woulda had more rest than UNC.

Though since it's not an official conference game wonder if the ACC should even be weighing in. Playing UNC non-conference continues to produce weirdness

By ACC you really mean uNC. Powers to be at both are the same. Good luck with that crew giving anyone not in blue a fair shake.

The lines are always key in College football.

Losing the ODU kid to a knee injury sucks.

Since we are razor thin at DT, any updates on this group:

DE Basham / Allen
DT Tyler Williams / Bergan
DT Kamara / Freshman
DE Walker / Bothroyd

I don't like spending the entire summer reading "Freshman" there. Seems like we need to slide someone down inside to help out (Allen is HUGE so him?).

The lines are always key in College football.

Losing the ODU kid to a knee injury sucks.

Since we are razor thin at DT, any updates on this group:

DE Basham / Allen
DT Tyler Williams / Bergan
DT Kamara / Freshman
DE Walker / Bothroyd

I don't like spending the entire summer reading "Freshman" there. Seems like we need to slide someone down inside to help out (Allen is HUGE so him?).

I believe Clawson stated that Bothroyd will be moving inside.

ETA: or that he is a guy that can play both inside/outside DL.

I believe Clawson stated that Bothroyd will be moving inside.

ETA: or that he is a guy that can play both inside/outside DL.

Correct-Clawson also has said the skill set for that Edge DE and the DT are mostly interchangeable which is why Yarbury and Williams slid out to DE on occasion. I expect to see JaCorey Johns backing up Walker. Walker's DE position is one that drops into coverage occasionally so don't think Bothroyd would be in that position. Pretty sure we will see McCollum on the field somewhere along there as well. He was mentioned for getting into the backfield in the spring but he played downfield a lot in the Shrine Bowl and was all over the field so he may be more suited for the Drop than just a pure Edge position.

Seemed pretty clear after the Spring that Clawson expected true frosh McCollum (who enrolled early) to play a lot of snaps this fall. Clawson is usually pretty measured when talking about his players, particularly frosh, but even he seemed excited about McCollum.

I think Bergen will be playing a lot. Agree that Bothroyd will move inside - he's 6'4" 275.
Also think we could see Royce Francis some at SDE. He's 6'3" 260 and has a good motor.

I am guessing we even see some 3 DE line ups on obvious passing downs. Wake struggled in 3rd and long last year and I wouldn't be surprised to see something like a Basham/Allen/McCollum on 3rd and +10.

Not to get too Lectro, but McCollum seems like he could be starting by the back-half of the season. Walker and Johns don't have a grip on the position, and McCollum is on a rapid ascent. Another freshman could end up contributing on the DL, but more likely Bothroyd and Francis will be in the mix at DT/DE. Hopefully the coaches can scheme to get Allen and Basham on the field together. I like a 3rd-and-long line of McCollum, Kamara/Williams, Basham, and Allen quite a bit.

Not to get too Lectro, but McCollum seems like he could be starting by the back-half of the season. Walker and Johns don't have a grip on the position, and McCollum is on a rapid ascent. Another freshman could end up contributing on the DL, but more likely Bothroyd and Francis will be in the mix at DT/DE. Hopefully the coaches can scheme to get Allen and Basham on the field together. I like a 3rd-and-long line of McCollum, Kamara/Williams, Basham, and Allen quite a bit.

At the end of last season we got a few glimpses of this. They would slide Yarbary out to DE. Rodney could push the center of the pocket back which allowed Yarbary and Boogie to try and find a lane to the QB. I think the reason Yarbary slid out was because he was just a better pass rusher than Calhoun or Walker. That type of lineup also allows you the ability to walk a safety or corner up on the end of the line and still have plenty of help behind them.

Top shelf writing AND Great coverage of Winston Salem’s hometown ACC team, Wake Forest!

Back