• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

IAppreciateIt

no bunting allowed
Reaction score
Who else is PUMPED for next year?

If Dortch returns and Herron makes a complete recovery, expecting big things from the offense. Believe Tom and Nash have been really solid on the O-line, although will need to shore up depth. Wonder if Groulx or Greene will end up redshirting given the WR depth.

I’m hoping for huge improvements on D. Biggest loss with be Glenn but Coby Davis should be back and the LBs should be way better with Burley and Monroe. Biggest question mark is probably interior line.

Starter projections (i really have no idea)

QB Newman / Hartman
RB Carney | backup RB
WR Dortch | Claude
WR Surratt | Washington
WR Groulx | Robinson
TE Freudenthal | Chapman
LT Herron
LG Nash
OC Tom
RG Gilliam
RT Benzinger

DE Bashan
DT Tyler Williams
DT Kamara
DE Allen
LB Strnad
LB Burley
LB Masterson / Monroe
CB Bassey
CB Henderson
S Greer
S Davis

Some big questions
1. Who starts at QB?
2. What happens at WR re: Dortch and the freshman
3. RB depth — Beal-Smith has not been particularly good
4. Injured guys coming back
5. D Tackles

Any redshirting freshmen we should expect big things from? Bergan and Bothroydbhave played a bit I know.

I really think our QB is Newman next year. He won the spot last summer after Hinton got suspended and I think he’ll have the edge after salvaging our season this fall.

Groulx is a slot. He would be behind Dortch or potentially a starter.

I think Groulx plays and Greene redshirts while playing at the end of the season.

Will be curious to see where Masterson ends up. He’s a pretty good tackler.

There are usually a few freshmen who start or become major contributors. Hard to predict that until they get on campus.

If it works out, how about Newman and Hinton(if he comes back) at qb and red-shirt Hartman?

Scotty is a senior isn't he? Time for the other 6'5 kid former commit to UAB to step up.

Are we still playing the holes out of conference next year? Was really hoping Fedora would be there for those games.

Home
ELON
@Rice
Home vs a much improved Utah St since we played them last

Washington is a rJR. He will be back next year. I assume he and Surratt will start on the outsides.

Here's my quick guess

QB Newman / Hartman / Freshman (Assuming Hinton is gone)
RB Carney / Beal-Smith / Delaney
WR Surratt / Waydale
WR Dortch / Groulx / J. Robinson
WR Washington / Claude / A. Perry
TE Freudenthal / Chapman / Whitehart
LT Herron / Watson / Suhren
LG Nash / Maginn
OC Tom / Unsure
RG Gilliam / Nya
RT Benzinger / Rappelya

DE Basham / Allen
DT Tyler Williams / Bergan
DT Kamara / Freshman
DE Walker / Bothroyd
LB Strnad / Burley / Monroe
LB Taylor / Simpson / Johns
LB/Rov Williams / Masterson
CB Bassey / Keith
CB Henderson / Taylor
S Greer / Redd / Davis
S Redd / Davis / Hardimon

Here's my quick guess

QB Newman / Hartman / Freshman (Assuming Hinton is gone)
RB Carney / Beal-Smith / Delaney
WR Surratt / Waydale
WR Dortch / Groulx / J. Robinson
WR Washington / Claude / A. Perry
TE Freudenthal / Chapman / Whitehart
LT Herron / Watson / Suhren
LG Nash / Maginn
OC Tom / Unsure
RG Gilliam / Nya
RT Benzinger / Rappelya

DE Basham / Allen
DT Tyler Williams / Bergan
DT Kamara / Freshman
DE Walker / Bothroyd
LB Strnad / Burley / Monroe
LB Taylor / Simpson / Johns
LB/Rov Williams / Masterson
CB Bassey / Keith
CB Henderson / Taylor
S Greer / Redd / Davis
S Redd / Davis / Hardimon

OL is pretty spot-on, well done.
Masterson would start at S over Redd
DT would be a 3-player rotation, Bergan could start (and be really good, if he takes a freshman-to-sophomore leap)
Groulx told me a month ago that he'll start as an outside receiver, then move inside (kinda mirrors Bachman's path)
LB all of a sudden is going to have a ton of depth

Nice work.

I would assume Groulx starting outside the moving inside has plenty to do with Dortch’s status.

Do you think Dortch will put his name in for the draft?

I would assume Groulx starting outside the moving inside has plenty to do with Dortch’s status.

Do you think Dortch will put his name in for the draft?

I don't *think* so. I'd hedge with: I didn't think Jessie would put his name in last year, either. Of course, Jessie had prototypical NFL safety size. Somebody who watches more NFL than the occasional game feel free to correct me, but there aren't many 5-9, 170-pound guys in the league, right? And the ones that are in are pretty locked into roles and teams ...?

So, again - I don't think so. It would be mildly shocking if Greg did leave. But not a total shock.

I don't *think* so. I'd hedge with: I didn't think Jessie would put his name in last year, either. Of course, Jessie had prototypical NFL safety size. Somebody who watches more NFL than the occasional game feel free to correct me, but there aren't many 5-9, 170-pound guys in the league, right? And the ones that are in are pretty locked into roles and teams ...?

So, again - I don't think so. It would be mildly shocking if Greg did leave. But not a total shock.

I hope he stays, but he’s still going to be 5’9” 170 after next season too, so he’s still in the same boat you describe. I would think it all depends on how much he could possibly enhance his status in the draft by playing another year here and weighing that against the odds of getting injured.

Back