• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lyle Hemphill Promoted to Defensive Coordinator

Wonder how that will sit with Cohen. He is a former HC and DC. This makes two times that Clawson has not named him DC when that job was open.

Gilmore is a former HC too. Gotta put aside egos. Hemphill is the hot young coach.

He may not want it. His promotion probably puts his salary on a similar level. He may just love coaching DL. He’s obviously really good at it.

And he might enjoy recruiting more than gameplanning and calling plays. He’s also one of our best recruiters so we need to maximize that.

The transformation of our defense was remarkable. You can see signs of it even at State and Pittsburgh and yesterday was the culmination

You could see it even against Syracuse. We gave them at least 14 of their 41 points off turnovers and held them to one of their lower total yards outputs of the season I think.

Clawson comments about how often our D was in the right position with Sawvel v Hemphill is one of the biggest indicators to me that this is a good decision.

The tackling alone against Duke was light years ahead of where it was mid season. Best defensive performance since before the Duke game LAST YEAR.

The tackling alone against Duke was light years ahead of where it was mid season. Best defensive performance since before the Duke game LAST YEAR.

Tackling (a basic skill for defense) was much, much better.
So was pass coverage, pressure on the QB and defending against the run.
Also, special teams coverage was very good.
I'd give it an 'A'

Hard to argue against it coming off a beat down like that. Adds some continuity and frees up Clawson to hire an assistant before the bowl game or afterward.

Assistant to the defensive coordinator or assistant defensive coordinator?

Now I see that he is assistant head coach for defense. Now I am even more confused.

You'd think a guy that goes by "RiskyBusiness" would better understand MONEY

He may not want it. His promotion probably puts his salary on a similar level. He may just love coaching DL. He’s obviously really good at it.

Isn't Cohen also the unofficial recruiting coordinator? That might explain why - that would be a lot of hats to wear.

He's got a ways to go if he wants to be the most famous Hemphill.

giphy.gif

Back