• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report on Western Carolina Catamounts 7 pm Tuesday - ACC Network

Pilchard

Reaction score
Can WF piggy back last Friday's debacle against #278 HBU with an even worse loss against #324 WCU?

Here is the summary of WF's next horrid opponent:

Record: The Catamounts (coached by Skip's kid - Mark Prosser) are 2-5 and ranked #324 (out of 353 teams). The wins: Hiwassee College (never heard of HC; looked it up, they have 450 students -- total; there are deeper intramural teams) and #303 Jacksonville. WCU's 5 losses are to: #132 Wright State by 23, #103 Charleston by 3, #85 SMU by 33; #163 Jacksonville State by 31; #144 S. Miss by 5. Prosser replaced Larry Hunter this past off-season after Hunter retired (pushed out) spending 13 years as the WCU head coach. The Cats have not had a winning season since 2013-4.

Offense: Weak. #327 overall. They are the next to the worst team in the nation in TOs (#352); turning it over on a mind-boggling 28.4% of their possessions (WF does not force many TOs on D #311). WCU rarely gets to the line (#282 in FTA/FGA), and when they do, they miss a lot (58% #338). The Cats shoot the 3 fairly well (35.9% #11), and their effective FG% is decent (53% #101). So, when WCU does not give the ball away or go to the line, they are mediocre on O.

Defense: #289. WCU has no inside presence (they are small -- see below) giving up 57.3% on 2s, and they don't block shots (#347 in block %). Essentially, the problem for WCU is that they commit so many turnovers on offense that they give up a ton of transition points (average possessions for WCU on D only take 15.9 seconds), leading to uncontested layups. WCU also fouls a lot (#290 in FTA per FGA).

Lineup: Small: 6-1 PG Matt Halvorsen; 6-3 SG Kameron Gibson, F 6-5 Onno Steger, 6-7 Carlos Dotson, C 6-6 DJ Myers. WCU essentially plays with a three man bench: 6-2 Josh Cotrell; 6-3 Marcus Thomas and 6-7 Marc Gosslin. Gibson (47%), Steger (38%), Halvorsen (37%) and Cotrell (45%) are all threats from 3. None of the Cats bigmen can shoot the 3. Their leading scorer, Gibson, scored 34 at SMU. Both teams are among the most inexperienced in the country (WCU #322; WF #332).

Prediction: A win... I guess. KP projects a 81-65 WF win. A WF win means that the Deacs own bragging rights over Hiwassee College.

Last edited:
Can WF piggy back last Friday's debacle against #278 HBU with an even worse loss against #324 WCU?

Here is the summary of WF's next horrid opponent:

Record: The Catamounts (coached by Skip's kid - Mark Prosser) are 2-5 and ranked #324 (out of 353 teams). The wins: Hiwassee College (never heard of HC; looked it up, they have 450 students -- total; there are deeper intramural teams) and #303 Jacksonville. WCU's 5 losses are to: #132 Wright State by 23, #103 Charleston by 3, #85 SMU by 33; #163 Jacksonville State by 31; #144 S. Miss by 5. Prosser replaced Larry Hunter this past off-season after Hunter retired (pushed out) spending 13 years as the WCU head coach. The Cats have not had a winning season since 2013-4.

Offense: Weak. #327 overall. They are the next to the worst team in the nation in TOs (#352); turning it over on a mind-boggling 28.4% of their possessions (WF does not force many TOs on D #311). WCU rarely gets to the line (#282 in FTA/FGA), and when they do, they miss a lot (58% #338). The Cats shoot the 3 fairly well (35.9% #11), and their effective FG% is decent (53% #101). So, when WCU does not give the ball away or go to the line, they are mediocre on O.

Defense: #289. WCU has no inside presence (they are small -- see below) giving up 57.3% on 2s, and they don't block shots (#347 in block %). Essentially, the problem for WCU is that they commit so many turnovers on offense that they give up a ton of transition points (average possessions for WCU on D only take 15.9 seconds), leading to uncontested layups. WCU also fouls a lot (#290 in FTA per FGA).

Lineup: Small: 6-1 PG Matt Halvorsen; 6-3 SG Kameron Gibson, F 6-5 Onno Steger, 6-7 Carlos Dotson, C 6-6 DJ Myers. WCU essentially plays with a three man bench: 6-2 Josh Cotrell; 6-3 Marcus Thomas and 6-7 Marc Gosslin. Gibson (47%), Steger (38%), Halvorsen (37%) and Cotrell (45%) are all threats from 3. None of the Cats bigmen can shoot the 3. Their leading scorer, Gibson, scored 34 at SMU. Both teams are among the most inexperienced in the country (WCU #322; WF #332).

Prediction: A win... I guess. KP projects a 81-65 WF win. A WF win means that the Deacs own bragging rights over Hiwassee College.

Wasn't that about the same score KP was projecting for the Houston Baptist game?:eek:hnoes:

Didn't realize Mark Prosser was now a HC.

Western Carolina is a tough school to succeed at. They did have some fleeting "success" from the 08-09 thru the 13-14 season, where they averaged just shy of 18 wins/year, had a a winning record 5 of the 6 years, and won the Northern Division of the SoCon twice.

Will be interested to follow Mark's career.

If this were a Wednesday game, I like our chances. On a Tuesday, we are ripe for another upset.

What is Wake kenpom at currently?

What is Wake kenpom at currently?

We fell from #111 to #127.

We will not lose this game. I mean, I have no basis for saying that other than it seems highly unlikely we'd have two historically bad losses in a row. Hoard might need to score 40, but I think we'll get it done.

We fell from #111 to #127.

We will not lose this game. I mean, I have no basis for saying that other than it seems highly unlikely we'd have two historically bad losses in a row. Hoard might need to score 40, but I think we'll get it done.

If I thought it would get Manning fired, I'd pull for WCU like crazy. Of course we could lose to WCU and everybody else and Manning still would last this year I think.

Wow their stats are horrific! Therefore they win by a three 89-86

Did Pilch do these reports back in the day? Maybe [Redacted] and Manning are great coaches and they're hamstrung by the curse of the Pilch preview???

Maybe Skip’s son beating us and being the last nail in Danny’s coffin (as if that shouldn’t already be the case) can be the juju we need to reverse our string of bad luck* in basketball since Skip’s death?

*otherwise known as decisions

Maybe Skip’s son beating us and being the last nail in Danny’s coffin (as if that shouldn’t already be the case) can be the juju we need to reverse our string of bad luck* in basketball since Skip’s death?

It would be fitting.

Sounds like the type of dark magic needed to lift the curse.

Back