• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our State

There is always one or two idiots on the board that give people who didn't go to wake shit about being a wake fan and it pisses me off at the level of stupidity they have. It's basic math....we have 1,000 graduates every year, we need every fan we can get

Records against in state opponents (including FCS) since 2000

WFU: 40-21 .655
NCSU: 36-22 .620
UNC: 32-30 .516
Duke: 24-34 .413

Pretty much speaks for itself.

I love this. Grobe and Clawson always got/get the most out of their teams against the in-state competition.

The 12 game win-streak against Duke certainly helped our mark.

My personal favorites are Deacon fans who are actual Deacons, despite not going to school as a Demon Deacon.

I'm here all week, remember to tip your waitresses.

After saying yesterday he'd be in the job 9 months the story line has changed to Cincinnatus leaves his plow to return to the battlefield:
https://www.journalnow.com/sports/c...cle_bb596914-fb47-5cd6-be2e-cd09553b72c9.html
This is the ultimate nod to the PTB.
Funny thing about Brown's published plea to recruits is it is more in line with the truthful pitch Clawson has been making to his recruits:
Play in state in front of family, friends, coaches; get a great degree at a premier national U.; help a program that needs help.
I have to think that parents and kids appreciate Clawson's direct approach over the style points provided by an electric smile.

There is always one or two idiots on the board that give people who didn't go to wake shit about being a wake fan and it pisses me off at the level of stupidity they have. It's basic math....we have 1,000 graduates every year, we need every fan we can get

Full disclosure, I grew up a Wake fan and I guess a lot of that has to do with my Dad going there. However, ever since I was a kid, I have been a very passionate Wake fan. Anytime Wake was playing football or basketball my radio had Gene Overby on calling the games, if they weren't on TV and most weren't back then. Of course I've attended countless games over the years in multiple sports. Haven't missed attending a home football game since 2001. I didn't go to Wake, I got my undergraduate degree somewhere else and my graduate degree at yet another institution. Those degrees have served me just fine in life as I've been a partner in a successful CPA firm for a long time now. While I like to see the schools I got my degrees from do well, they are both opponents Wake faces frequently in multiple sports and there is never a doubt where my allegiance lies on those occasions, it's always black and gold.

It really pains me to see the state our basketball program is in right and that frustration causes me to post things on this board in frustration as I'm sure many of your do too. However, I'm always 100 percent behind Wake, even if I think a coach needs to be fired immediately or whatever.

Last edited:
When I'm on here it's always Deacs first. I went incognito last year when Wake took the trip to Boone. If you ever see me on here saying "we, us, and our" in reference to App please come at me hard.

I feel you glass. I went to App and Liberty but have always loved my Deacs. A few years ago when Liberty was giving us a scare and last year when App was I was pulling for the Deacs

I was pretty much raised on Wake's campus, and when I went to App they were still in the FCS and hadn't played Wake since '01 or '02. I know quite a few people who are fans of both schools, I'm sorry we weren't aware of that being taboo...

When were you at App? I was there for undergrad '03-'09 and masters '09-'11.

I feel you glass. I went to App and Liberty but have always loved my Deacs. A few years ago when Liberty was giving us a scare and last year when App was I was pulling for the Deacs

The way I looked at it last year, the only way I pull for App that week is if they are undefeated with a win over UGA coming in. That would have had them top 25 with a shot at a NY6. But in any other scenario Wake needs that win exponentially more than App does. So I pulled for Wake. It was still really tough to watch, especially with how the game played out. I’m embarrassed to this day about how half of the stadium reacted when the celebration penalty was called after the blocked kick. Although I can’t say forsure the same wouldn’t happen at Wake or any other school, it was just cringey when they showed a close up the students confidently celebrating after Wake has won the game.

Full disclosure, I grew up a Wake fan and I guess a lot of that has to do with my Dad going there. However, ever since I was a kid, I have been a very passionate Wake fan. Anytime Wake was playing football or basketball my radio had Gene Overby on calling the games, if they weren't on TV and most weren't back then. Of course I've attended countless games over the years in multiple sports. Haven't missed attending a home football game since 2001. I didn't go to Wake, I got my undergraduate degree somewhere else and my graduate degree at yet another institution. Those degrees have served me just fine in life as I've been a partner in a successful CPA for a long time now. While I like to see the schools I got my degrees from do well, they are both opponents Wake faces frequently in multiple sports and they is never a doubt where my allegiance lies on those occasions, it's always black and gold.

It really pains me to see the state our basketball program is in right and that frustration causes me to post things on this board in frustration as I'm sure many of your do too. However, I'm always 100 percent behind Wake, even if I think a coach needs to be fired immediately or whatever.

Never picked up on the fact you weren’t an alum. That’s awesome. You, jamesda3, all the other non alum fans... glad to have you on the team.

We need more of these

I can be an asshole sometimes, and I apologize for that, but I mean well. Go Deacs, from a fan that’s not a grad

ETA: I get as frustrated as all of you, but default to optimism

Last edited:
The way I looked at it last year, the only way I pull for App that week is if they are undefeated with a win over UGA coming in. That would have had them top 25 with a shot at a NY6. But in any other scenario Wake needs that win exponentially more than App does. So I pulled for Wake. It was still really tough to watch, especially with how the game played out. I’m embarrassed to this day about how half of the stadium reacted when the celebration penalty was called after the blocked kick. Although I can’t say forsure the same wouldn’t happen at Wake or any other school, it was just cringey when they showed a close up the students confidently celebrating after Wake has won the game.

The same couldn't happen at Wake because their is no student section during the 4th quarter

Also, I'll say it, who the hell pulls for their childhood team over their alma mater? I grew up a diehard deac. Had season tickets in basketball and football. Went to Wake games throughout college as well. But on any day where App and Wake meet, I hope App slaps the shit out of em. Hate me for it, idc. I'll pull for Wake the other 364 days of the year.

The same couldn't happen at Wake because their is no student section during the 4th quarter

Also, I'll say it, who the hell pulls for their childhood team over their alma mater? I grew up a diehard deac. Had season tickets in basketball and football. Went to Wake games throughout college as well. But on any day where App and Wake meet, I hope App slaps the shit out of em. Hate me for it, idc. I'll pull for Wake the other 364 days of the year.

I get what you're saying. If I had gone to another P5 school that's sports teams were a big deal, then I might have become a fan. I just never developed much of an attachment to watching App play Furman and Wofford. I went to some basketball games up there and there would be 100 people plus an elementary school team in attendance. I always hope they do well, but I just don't get the same thrill from App games as I do Wake.

Before you go doubting my Mountaineer street cred know that I drove to Penn State, UGA, and Tennessee to see them scare the shit out of hundreds of thousands of collective fans. It was more of a logical choice to pull for Wake even though I would have been happy no matter the outcome.

Back