• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our State

The same couldn't happen at Wake because their is no student section during the 4th quarter

Also, I'll say it, who the hell pulls for their childhood team over their alma mater? I grew up a diehard deac. Had season tickets in basketball and football. Went to Wake games throughout college as well. But on any day where App and Wake meet, I hope App slaps the shit out of em. Hate me for it, idc. I'll pull for Wake the other 364 days of the year.

Unusual for sure but I can certainly see why, as your passions for sports teams are often formed well before you go off to a college to basically get training for a career in something. Good example are the Hornets, Hurricanes and Panthers: plenty of transplants who have been in Raleigh/Charlotte for most of their adult lives and the like our local teams fine, but their passion is still with the Patriots, Steelers, Sabers, Celts, etc. from their formative sports years.

You went to App, which "our" you talkin bout?

Didn’t you go to App, too?

ETA: I see you showed your true colors above. I don’t hate you for it, but your position is a pretty stupid one.

I didn’t go to Wake, either, but Wake was the team I was born in to and the team that I’ll support until I stop following college sports.

Go Deacs.

Last edited:
There are a lot more non-Wake alums on here than I thought. I thought I was one of the only ones. Fuck yeah

Didn’t you go to App, too?

ETA: I see you showed your true colors above. I don’t hate you for it, but your position is a pretty stupid one.

I didn’t go to Wake, either, but Wake was the team I was born in to and the team that I’ll support until I stop following college sports.

Go Deacs.

He was just giving me shit as a fellow App fan, I had forgotten he was. No harm, no foul...

There are a lot more non-Wake alums on here than I thought. I thought I was one of the only ones. Fuck yeah

Seriously. Strick didn't go to Wake either? I'm learning a lot here. So glad all you guys are on the little bandwagon.

Full disclosure, I grew up a Wake fan and I guess a lot of that has to do with my Dad going there. However, ever since I was a kid, I have been a very passionate Wake fan. Anytime Wake was playing football or basketball my radio had Gene Overby on calling the games, if they weren't on TV and most weren't back then. Of course I've attended countless games over the years in multiple sports. Haven't missed attending a home football game since 2001. I didn't go to Wake, I got my undergraduate degree somewhere else and my graduate degree at yet another institution. Those degrees have served me just fine in life as I've been a partner in a successful CPA firm for a long time now. While I like to see the schools I got my degrees from do well, they are both opponents Wake faces frequently in multiple sports and there is never a doubt where my allegiance lies on those occasions, it's always black and gold.

It really pains me to see the state our basketball program is in right and that frustration causes me to post things on this board in frustration as I'm sure many of your do too. However, I'm always 100 percent behind Wake, even if I think a coach needs to be fired immediately or whatever.

This is basically my story too. My dad was a Wake alum (Class of '65) and I grew up in a Wake family (both of his brothers also graduated from WFU) But as much as I love Wake Forest athletics, it just wasn't the right school for me. I got both my undergrad and my Masters at other schools. But that doesn't keep me from being a diehard Deacon. I remember my first football and basketball games. I have missed very few home football games in the last 7 years since moving back to WS. It is a passion that defies explanation.

This is basically my story too. My dad was a Wake alum (Class of '65) and I grew up in a Wake family (both of his brothers also graduated from WFU) But as much as I love Wake Forest athletics, it just wasn't the right school for me. I got both my undergrad and my Masters at other schools. But that doesn't keep me from being a diehard Deacon. I remember my first football and basketball games. I have missed very few home football games in the last 7 years since moving back to WS. It is a passion that defies explanation.

Awesome

I'll out myself as another non-Wake alum. Moved to WS in 1994 and love the focus on academics that Wake had.... especially since I'm an AP teacher now. Go Deacs!

I'll out myself as another non-Wake alum. Moved to WS in 1994 and love the focus on academics that Wake had.... especially since I'm an AP teacher now. Go Deacs!

Very cool :thumbsup:

If you can stick with Wake through all of this basketball mess and not even have the alumni tie keeping you there, good on all of you.

Thank goodness for football and some other sports to give us something to rally around

Very cool :thumbsup:

If you can stick with Wake through all of this basketball mess and not even have the alumni tie keeping you there, good on all of you.

Thank goodness for football and some other sports to give us something to rally around

This is of course is the worst stretch of Wake basketball I’ve been through, even worse than the Staak era, but I’ve seen some really bad Wake football in my years. From 1979 to 1992, was a long time to wait for a bowl game. Being a Wake fan builds patience and character I always say.

If it were not for all the non-alum fans buying seats and season tickets, WF would be in serious trouble.

Wake does not have “bandwagon” fans. Being a “bandwagon” fan means rooting for a team because they are doing well.

I’m struggling to come up with the best word to describe this type of Wake fan. Assuming no familial and/or childhood connection, I’m debating among masochist, martyr, and dipshit.

Unregardless, I, for one, welcome you.

Last edited:
No truer fan can be found than that of a non alum wake fan. I'm an alum and I honestly don't know how you could have stuck with us through some of the years we've had. I will say though isn't it kinda nice to not be like every other Walmart Carolina and Duke fan in nc, who would quickly abandon their team should they have a horrific stretch like we have in hoops?

Another non alum lifer fan. App grad. It was much easier being a die hard fan of both schools when they weren't playing each other. Last year was like watching your kids fight. No winners. Guess its good that both teams are good and the product on the field is good.

Last two years were the first in last 15 that I didn't get wake bball tickets. Not worth the money. Really depressing decision, so many great memories from childhood and adultlhood.

Wake does not have “bandwagon” fans. Being a “bandwagon” fan means rooting for a team because they are doing well.

I’m struggling to come up with the best word to describe this type of Wake fan. Assuming no familial and/or childhood connection, I’m debating among masochist, martyr, and dipshit.

Unregardless, I, for one, welcome you.

Haha. This thread is great. And I’d go with masochist. We welcome any and all masochists.

Kind of like that Matt Ryan BC game back in the day...how else would you describe it?

I also did not attend Wake but bleed Black & Old Gold....Member of Deacon Club and have had season football tix since 2000 season...Makes me an oddity with my friends as "the Wake fan"...

I honestly think there are more non-alum fans than people realize. The Grobe and Prosser years stoked a lot of Wake interest in the WS/FC area in the 2000's. Locals, who never really cared, realized how fun it is to have a Nationally competitive ACC team playing in their hometown. It is a shame that most of them only wear their Wake gear out of habit and not out of pride anymore. I see them around town and give them "Go Deacs!" and they look down at their shirts and say stuff like "oh, yeah.. I got this at a basketball game ten years ago. Are they good this year?"

I honestly think there are more non-alum fans than people realize. The Grobe and Prosser years stoked a lot of Wake interest in the WS/FC area in the 2000's. Locals, who never really cared, realized how fun it is to have a Nationally competitive ACC team playing in their hometown. It is a shame that most of them only wear their Wake gear out of habit and not out of pride anymore. I see them around town and give them "Go Deacs!" and they look down at their shirts and say stuff like "oh, yeah.. I got this at a basketball game ten years ago. Are they good this year?"

Yeah I’m younger and people my age and younger from the area are not fans, Wake is just the hometown team they root for if they’re on TV or something.

Back