• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller Watch 2018-2019

Do you honestly think any of those guys would be interested in the Wake job right now? I agree Wake should look at several good candidates, but the job isnt likely to be attractive to a lot of coaches.

Other than Matta, who may not be interested in coaching at all, the other three would absolutely take the Wake job for a fair contract and Miller's experience is far behind each of them.

I have been banned from commenting on Wake Sports Facebook page. I guess the AD job being offered isn’t in my future.

I don't know that anyone (other than DR) has said we should fire Manning and hire Miller without talking to anyone else. I sure as hell don't feel that way. I go back and forth between Kelsey and Miller as who I would prefer out of those two, but it's malpractice not to do a broad search. If it ends up coming down to those two, I am highly confident we end up with a better coach than we presently have.

The biggest impediment to hiring a good coach is Ron Wellman. It goes beyond selection. If he is AD, any candidate would be asked to work for the person who willfully destroyed WF basketball. They would also be faced with the possibility of a new AD replacing him. Too many negatives. Wake needs a complete overhaul, not a tune up.

With a new AD, the position of head basketball coach at WFU is a top tier opportunity for someone to establish their reputation as a quality basketball coach.

Last edited:
I thought Dickey was the good big for uncg, but the transfer from Wichita state looked much better.

Uncg gets a big man, decent player, from Wichita State.

We get Terrance Thompson etc.

Also, uncg scored 21 total in the second half. Looked awful after half time.

Wes Miller is now the all-time leader in victories at UNCG. He is 125-112.

I don't know that anyone (other than DR) has said we should fire Manning and hire Miller without talking to anyone else. I sure as hell don't feel that way. I go back and forth between Kelsey and Miller as who I would prefer out of those two, but it's malpractice not to do a broad search. If it ends up coming down to those two, I am highly confident we end up with a better coach than we presently have.

I want Kelsey.

Passing Mike Dement, who coached college basketball for 25 years and took one team in the NCAA tourney and one team to the NIT tourney.

There is an argument that can be made for Wes Miller getting a better job than UNCG, but being their all-time winning-est coach, doesn't move the needle.

Which still isn't as good as Grant, Kelsey or Oats not to mention Matta or Musselman.

Not to mention 0-3 against Danny Manning.

Last edited:
In the last 3 & a third seasons Wes's record at UNCG is 79-39. The program he inherited had gone 17-55 in the 3 seasons prior. If and when Wes Miller gets a better job, the next UNCG coach will be inheriting a NCAA tournament team.

In the last 3 & a third seasons Wes's record at UNCG is 79-39. The program he inherited had gone 17-55 in the 3 seasons prior. If and when Wes Miller gets a better job, the next UNCG coach will be inheriting a NCAA tournament team.

Doubt UNCG will be an NCAA tourney team next year as they lose their best player, Francis Alonso who is a senior. Also, while UNCG is solid, they are not even the favorite to win the SoCon this year. Wofford (#65) is the higher rated team; UNCG (#99). ETSU (#98) AND Furman (#119) are also strong. Only one team will make it to the dance from the SoCon, and there are a handful of teams with a shot. FWIW, WF would be, at best, the 5th best team in the SoCon this year. Think about that. Mid-level SoCon basketball with an ACC budget. Hard to do.

Last edited:

Isn't that kind of a dubious distinction for a basketball coach? Like Crash Davis being the minor leagues all-time leading home run hitter.

I want Kelsey.

Wellman, if he is somehow allowed to make the next hire, will never hire someone off of Prosser's tree. It will be an admission of sorts that the smear campaign he conducted against Dino was total BS.

Isn't that kind of a dubious distinction for a basketball coach? Like Crash Davis being the minor leagues all-time leading home run hitter.

I think the context matters here. He was the youngest coach in NCAAB at the time he took over, and the team was garbage. The fact that he got to 125 wins in 8 seasons, with 3 of those seasons being trash, is fairly impressive. It is hard to predict who will be a successful coach at a place like Wake, but IMO, Wes has the right profile: Young, ambitious, and has won.

I think the context matters here. He was the youngest coach in NCAAB at the time he took over, and the team was garbage. The fact that he got to 125 wins in 8 seasons, with 3 of those seasons being trash, is fairly impressive. It is hard to predict who will be a successful coach at a place like Wake, but IMO, Wes has the right profile: Young, ambitious, and has won.

“Fairly impressive” is a characterization worthy of an ACC head coach.

Which still isn't as good as Grant, Kelsey or Oats not to mention Matta or Musselman.

Not to mention 0-3 against Danny Manning.

This. I don't want any coach who Danny beat 3 times. That has to be Danny's best performance against any team.

“Fairly impressive” is a characterization worthy of an ACC head coach.

Would it make you feel better if I said it was "super impressive"?

I am certainly not advocating that Wes is the only guy Wake should consider, but I am suggesting that Wake needs to take a very hard look at hiring someone like him.

I want Rick Pitino...quickest way back to relevancy and he would be on his best behavior. Coaching in the ACC will juice the hell out of him and the Joel will be packed.

I also think he’d jump at the job

Would it make you feel better if I said it was "super impressive"?

I am certainly not advocating that Wes is the only guy Wake should consider, but I am suggesting that Wake needs to take a very hard look at hiring someone like him.

I’m not sure that a 0-3 record against a Wake team that also lost to Delaware State, Houston Baptist, Liberty, Gardner-Webb, and Drake over the same stretch is “super impressive.”

I’m not sure that a 0-3 record against a Wake team that also lost to Delaware State, Houston Baptist, Liberty, Gardner-Webb, and Drake over the same stretch is “super impressive.”

I did not suggest an 0-3 record against Wake was impressive at all. What I said was that winning 125 games at UNCG under the circumstances was fairly impressive. How impressive it is depends on your view of things. Personally, like I've said, I think he fits the mold of someone we should hire for our next coach. Obvious speculation on my end, but I do think Wes Miller is going to end up being a very good high-major coach one day.

Back