Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 504

Thread: Wes Miller Watch 2018-2019

  1. #261
    You are 100% right. Been saying the same shit since 1998. We need a 5k seat stadium and a smart, young, loyal coach like Wes Miller. Howís that advice looking 20 years later?

    Call me a jerk. I get it. My partners all call me a jerk too. Guess what else they say? Thanks.

  2. #262
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    62,863
    With a 5K seated arena, we wouldn't get many top recruits. Students wouldn't be at the games and we'd have to have monthly events in the arena to pay for its management and upkeep. Due to having other events, we'd have to have more security on campus as there would be many more outsiders visiting.

    When Wes can beat Danny, let's talk. Being 0-3 against Manning is not encouraging.

  3. #263
    Donald has been right on both issues for a long time. Never forget his mantra - if you're gonna gamble on a coach, gamble young (Kelsey, Miller, etc.) What Wellman has done to the basketball program is just criminal

  4. #264
    Historically Competitive
    Wrangor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mississippi Delta
    Posts
    12,276
    Miller checks a lot of boxes. Itís the right time to make the hire. He is leaving G this year Alonso graduating. It is the perfect storm for him. Should have a decent number of suitors but none that fit his profile better than Wake.

    There are 4-5 coaches that would be good hires. Miller is one of them imo.

  5. #265
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissRandolph View Post
    Donald has been right on both issues for a long time. Never forget his mantra - if you're gonna gamble on a coach, gamble young (Kelsey, Miller, etc.) What Wellman has done to the basketball program is just criminal
    When Danny was hired, he looked like an up and coming coach, just not chronologically young. He had worked his way up the assistant coaching seats under a good coach, Bill Self. Then had his own program for two years. His team improved from year one to year two. It played good defense. Tulsa won the conference and made the NCAA tournament in year two.

    That sounds like a resume worth the gamble. Other than a few bright spots, it doesn't seem to be working. The wins, the defense seen at Tulsa, the coherent offense all appear to have gotten lost somewhere between Tulsa and Wake.

  6. #266
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaconblue View Post
    When Danny was hired, he looked like an up and coming coach, just not chronologically young. He had worked his way up the assistant coaching seats under a good coach, Bill Self. Then had his own program for two years. His team improved from year one to year two. It played good defense. Tulsa won the conference and made the NCAA tournament in year two.

    That sounds like a resume worth the gamble. Other than a few bright spots, it doesn't seem to be working. The wins, the defense seen at Tulsa, the coherent offense all appear to have gotten lost somewhere between Tulsa and Wake.
    It was not a good gamble. As I said at the time, it was stupid. Manning made 60 million in the NBA. Heís understably lazy. Heís also not smart. The videos revealed that.

    Wellman watched no videos. He isnít smart either. Went to Bowling Green. Failed as a baseball coach. Then we let him be dictator for 30 years. We arenít very smart either.

  7. #267
    A large part of Manning's problem has been roster attrition. He can't keep players in the program. Other than an assistant coach's son, there is no one on the current roster that has been with the program more than a year and 11 games. Unless you are recruiting at Duke's level, you can't win with that much roster turnover. Players get better as they become sophomores, juniors and seniors (Chaundee is starting to come around and become a valuable player, but he is the exception). WF hasn't gotten that benefit in a long time. Look at UVA, VT, Cuse, Clemson, FSU; none of these teams have future lottery picks, but they have kept players in the program (many of whom were not highly rated out of HS) and developed them. With an experienced roster, they can compete at a high level.

    DR don't pull the RW went to Bowling Green card. Brad Stevens went to DePauw. Tony Bennett went to Wisconsin-Green Bay. Your boy Wes Miller started out at JMU. Smart people can come from anywhere, and dumbasses can as well.
    Last edited by Pilchard; 01-01-2019 at 12:10 PM.

  8. #268
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    A large part of Manning's problem has been roster attrition. He can't keep players in the program. Other than an assistant coach's son, there is no one on the current roster that has been with the program more than a year and 11 games. Unless you are recruiting at Duke's level, you can't win with that much roster turnover. Players get better as they become sophomores, juniors and seniors (Chaundee is starting to come around and become a valuable player, but he is the exception). WF hasn't gotten that benefit in a long time. Look at UVA, VT, Cuse, Clemson, FSU; none of these teams have future lottery picks, but they have kept players in the program (many of whom were not highly rated out of HS) and developed them. With an experienced roster, they can compete at a high level.

    DR don't pull the RW went to Bowling Green card. Brad Stevens went to DePauw. Tony Bennett went to Wisconsin-Green Bay. Your boy Wes Miller started out at JMU. Smart people can come from anywhere, and dumbasses can as well.
    The many early departures are another troubling aspect of Danny's tenure at Wake. Several players departed just when it looked like they were ready to be significant contributors. Donovan Mitchell the best example from last year. Or they were contributors and left for low level pro careers. Doral Moore and Bryant Crawford.

    Don't have special insight as to why the player departuresc are occurring, but they are and it is not good.

    There has only been one scholarship player to stay four years and graduate. There are no seniors on the team, and only one junior who is in his third year at Wake. Wake doesn't accept Juco players, but the roster turnover is much like the roster turnover at junior colleges.

  9. #269
    Letís get real Pilchard. Miller was blocked at Wake by Wellman. A horrific decision by a horrific decison maker.

  10. #270
    I do agree with your concept though that smart folks can come from anywhere. Ron isnít one of them that turned out smart. Wake folks arenít very smart either handing that guy the keys and letting him keep them for 30 years unchecked.

  11. #271
    Scott "Rufio" Feather
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    5,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangor View Post
    Miller checks a lot of boxes. Itís the right time to make the hire. He is leaving G this year Alonso graduating. It is the perfect storm for him. Should have a decent number of suitors but none that fit his profile better than Wake.

    There are 4-5 coaches that would be good hires. Miller is one of them imo.
    I'd take Wes Miller over DM in a NY minute. or 1/2 a dozen other coaches.

  12. #272
    Scott "Rufio" Feather
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    5,785
    Quote Originally Posted by donaldross View Post
    I do agree with your concept though that smart folks can come from anywhere. Ron isnít one of them that turned out smart. Wake folks arenít very smart either handing that guy the keys and letting him keep them for 30 years unchecked.
    Don't confuse the real fans on this message board with those influential supporters responsible for the current situation.

  13. #273
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttermaker View Post
    Don't confuse the real fans on this message board with those influential supporters responsible for the current situation.
    The fine folks on the board of trustees say they have few written complaints. Letís be frank, you all are the problem.

  14. #274
    Scott "Rufio" Feather
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    5,785
    ^ thanks

  15. #275
    Give me a break. The attendance and energy at the home games speak for themselves.

  16. #276
    Quote Originally Posted by donaldross View Post
    The fine folks on the board of trustees say they have few written complaints. Letís be frank, you all are the problem.
    The BoT are massive morons if they need written complaints to understand that something is wrong.

  17. #277
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    When Wes can beat Danny, let's talk. Being 0-3 against Manning is not encouraging.
    This is every bit as dumb as hiring a coach because his Air Force team once put a beat down on Wake.

    As bad as Manning is he does not lose all of the games where he has a huge talent gap. No one can recruit ACC caliber players at UNCG.

  18. #278
    Quote Originally Posted by donaldross View Post
    The fine folks on the board of trustees say they have few written complaints. Letís be frank, you all are the problem.
    Wake fans are long past the point of complaining to deaf ears. We are in the apathy stage, my friend.

  19. #279
    Quote Originally Posted by knowell View Post
    Wake fans are long past the point of complaining to deaf ears. We are in the apathy stage, my friend.
    No doubt. Most folks have given up. Donít want to make an ass out of themselves like Iím admittedly doing.

  20. #280
    Quote Originally Posted by knowell View Post
    This is every bit as dumb as hiring a coach because his Air Force team once put a beat down on Wake.

    As bad as Manning is he does not lose all of the games where he has a huge talent gap. No one can recruit ACC caliber players at UNCG.
    If Houston Baptist can beat Wake, then Wes Miller should be able to beat Wake.
    We're going to be good again.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •