Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 504

Thread: Wes Miller Watch 2018-2019

  1. #281
    Richard Joyce
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Haymarket, Va
    Posts
    331
    I'v been attending and watching WF basketball games since 1963, the year after Packer & Chappell. I'm so apathetic now it doesn't even bother me when they lose. I did watch the 8-9 minute scoring drought in the 2nd half vs Gardner-Webb and could just laugh as Manning called no timeouts, changed nothing, just continued to sit and watch the same self destruction on offense of 90% dribbling around the perimeter and settling for a perimeter jumper because the shot clock was near 0. We have no coach; he's an observer who offers nor knows no strategy nor intervention to turn the tide. Gardner-Webb was 2-15 from 3 and, yet, we still managed to lose to an inferior opponent which now is more the norm than the exception. It's beyond sad as we are not even competitive. That's why we need a system. Watching our team play on offense you can rarely figure out what, if anything, they are trying to do to get a good shot. It's mostly one-on-one, or too much dribbling. Very little pick and roll, ball reversal, inside/out. We simply are a playground, YMCA team which is directly a reflection of the "coach". Pathetic.

  2. #282
    The UNC job with his current resume? Lol

  3. #283
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    96,430
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    The UNC job with his current resume? Lol
    I think the point of the post was that G would improve and his resume would improve. Still ridiculous.

  4. #284
    Historically Competitive
    Wrangor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mississippi Delta
    Posts
    12,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaconblue View Post
    When Danny was hired, he looked like an up and coming coach, just not chronologically young. He had worked his way up the assistant coaching seats under a good coach, Bill Self. Then had his own program for two years. His team improved from year one to year two. It played good defense. Tulsa won the conference and made the NCAA tournament in year two.

    That sounds like a resume worth the gamble. Other than a few bright spots, it doesn't seem to be working. The wins, the defense seen at Tulsa, the coherent offense all appear to have gotten lost somewhere between Tulsa and Wake.
    The Manning hire was fine. The fact that he had made 60 million dollars is irrelevant. He has put in the hours on the recruiting trail (which is the most grueling part of the job), he just doesn't get it done on the court. It isn't because he doesn't 'want it', or isn't willing to work. He just isn't a talented game coach. Sucks for him, but he will make a great assistant for someone if he still wants to coach. [name redacted] was a loss from the start, Manning was a decent effort by Wellman. Obviously it didn't work out, but there is no guarantee that a Wes Miller works out either (although I like him as a potential hire for where we are).

    I just hope that at this point we have made the call to move on from Manning as he is quickly losing his recruiting edge, and his fundamentals on the court just don't translate to success. He has been given a fair shot (unlike Dino) and we should have plenty of good candidates from which to select an excellent candidate.

  5. #285
    Danny was worth the gamble, it just didn't work out

    Not a problem if we move on swiftly

  6. #286
    Quote Originally Posted by buckets View Post
    Danny was worth the gamble, it just didn't work out

    Not a problem if we move on swiftly
    We re in year 5 of Manning and likely will have a year 6 and 7, what definition of swiftly are you working off of?

  7. #287
    I would be shocked if Manning isnt fired by the end of the season.

  8. #288
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsnut View Post
    We re in year 5 of Manning and likely will have a year 6 and 7, what definition of swiftly are you working off of?
    Manning don't be the coach next year

  9. #289
    Scott "Rufio" Feather
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    5,785
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy8 View Post
    I would be shocked if Manning isnt fired by the end of the season.
    I wouldn't. Lil Chill has another year.

  10. #290
    Scott "Rufio" Feather
    birdman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,825
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeForest Fan View Post
    manning isn't winning. i'm just saying a pile of poop biscuits is a better option at this point. if the donors care about the connection they are part of the problem. wes miller is a legit candidate for a major coaching job. he won't be at UNCG much longer. not hiring him because of "connections" is D U M B
    Maybe this has been addressed already because I am a few days behind on the boards, but being better than the current coach is a really low bar. Manning is technically better than the previous coach and we still suck.

  11. #291
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Maybe this has been addressed already because I am a few days behind on the boards, but being better than the current coach is a really low bar. Manning is technically better than the previous coach and we still suck.
    I'm not so sure that Manning is better than name redacted

  12. #292
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangor View Post
    The Manning hire was fine. The fact that he had made 60 million dollars is irrelevant. He has put in the hours on the recruiting trail (which is the most grueling part of the job), he just doesn't get it done on the court. It isn't because he doesn't 'want it', or isn't willing to work. He just isn't a talented game coach. Sucks for him, but he will make a great assistant for someone if he still wants to coach. [name redacted] was a loss from the start, Manning was a decent effort by Wellman. Obviously it didn't work out, but there is no guarantee that a Wes Miller works out either (although I like him as a potential hire for where we are).

    I just hope that at this point we have made the call to move on from Manning as he is quickly losing his recruiting edge, and his fundamentals on the court just don't translate to success. He has been given a fair shot (unlike Dino) and we should have plenty of good candidates from which to select an excellent candidate.
    I disagree that Manning was a decent Hire. I hoped it would work as well but he checked none of the boxes.

    He was a better hire on paper than BZ but damn, this is a program that had been in the top 25 in the country for the previous 30 years.

    This program got bitch slapped by BZ and could not really afford a hi risk, low reward coach like Manning.

    Considering the dire situation of the Wake basketball program, you could say Manning was a worse choice than BZ.

    Programs survive bad hires. They rarely survive consecutive bad hires.

  13. #293
    Scott "Rufio" Feather
    birdman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,825
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    I'm not so sure that Manning is better than name redacted
    Oh god, you just had to say it...RC107 wonít let this slide.

  14. #294
    Manning was an uninspiring hire and has turned out to be a completely terrible coach.

  15. #295
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    96,430
    Yeah. Thatís especially true after VT hired Buzz. I would have rather taken a risk on a young coach who had as much or more experience.

  16. #296
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangor View Post
    The Manning hire was fine. The fact that he had made 60 million dollars is irrelevant. He has put in the hours on the recruiting trail (which is the most grueling part of the job), he just doesn't get it done on the court. It isn't because he doesn't 'want it', or isn't willing to work. He just isn't a talented game coach. Sucks for him, but he will make a great assistant for someone if he still wants to coach. [name redacted] was a loss from the start, Manning was a decent effort by Wellman. Obviously it didn't work out, but there is no guarantee that a Wes Miller works out either (although I like him as a potential hire for where we are).

    I just hope that at this point we have made the call to move on from Manning as he is quickly losing his recruiting edge, and his fundamentals on the court just don't translate to success. He has been given a fair shot (unlike Dino) and we should have plenty of good candidates from which to select an excellent candidate.
    Good post. The Manning hire was a reasonable gamble, particularly if you assume he was our second or third choice. I don't think anyone could reasonably foresee that he didn't value defense (based on the Kansas background) or more importantly that he fails in the leadership category, as reflected in being unable to inspire his players, or to retain players. He just didn't fit as a head coach at the ACC level. He also doesn't help his situation by being a poor communicator with the fans and media.

  17. #297
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasDeac1 View Post
    Good post. The Manning hire was a reasonable gamble, particularly if you assume he was our second or third choice. I don't think anyone could reasonably foresee that he didn't value defense (based on the Kansas background) or more importantly that he fails in the leadership category, as reflected in being unable to inspire his players, or to retain players. He just didn't fit as a head coach at the ACC level. He also doesn't help his situation by being a poor communicator with the fans and media.
    You don't think any of that would have shown up in an interview?

  18. #298
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttermaker View Post
    I wouldn't. Lil Chill has another year.
    Wouldn't it be so sad and ridiculous if this actually factored in? In reality, even if he wouldn't say it out loud, I am sure Brandon would much prefer play for a winning team his senior season even if that meant seeing his Dad pack up his desk and move on.

  19. #299
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy8 View Post
    I would be shocked if Manning isnt fired by the end of the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttermaker View Post
    I wouldn't. Lil Chill has another year.
    Maybe my sarcasm meter is broken, but keeping Manning and the coaching staff just to get a fourth year from Childress is akin to not firing a failing employee because she brings in bagels every Friday.

  20. #300
    Based on his profile at the time, Manning was a risky hire and certainly very inexperienced as a HC but did have several things going for him. As I recall, he wasn't in anyone's first tier, but he was on people's radars. He's turned out to be terrible for a number of reasons that probably would have been exposed if had a longer head coaching track record coming in.

    Coincidentally, both Manning and current favorite Earl Grant replaced Doug Wojcik (Manning at Tulsa, Grant at CoC), whose brother was an assistant at Wake who I believe got fired.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •