Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 560

Thread: Wes Miller Watch 2018-2019

  1. #301
    Quote Originally Posted by knowell View Post
    You don't think any of that would have shown up in an interview?
    A valid point if he was interviewed by multiple higher ups, or people with a basketball background. However, I question whether that happened, based upon Wellman's rep for keeping searches close to the vest, and in these internet times the difficulty in keeping things quiet.

  2. #302
    The lack of defense would not have been revealed tthrough more interviewing of Danny. His Tulsa teams played good D. Kansas played good. He certainly would not have told a fifth interviewer something like "No, defense isn't really important. We just want shooters."

  3. #303
    The Pumpfaker
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In the Paint
    Posts
    2,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaconblue View Post
    The lack of defense would not have been revealed tthrough more interviewing of Danny. His Tulsa teams played good D. Kansas played good. He certainly would not have told a fifth interviewer something like "No, defense isn't really important. We just want shooters."
    Waiting on the shooters...

  4. #304
    The game v. Furman in 10 days should be a good one to gauge things. Both teams playing well so far.

  5. #305
    Quote Originally Posted by netflixnchildres View Post
    The game v. Furman in 10 days should be a good one to gauge things. Both teams playing well so far.
    Agreed

    UNCG went into the game @ Kentucky ranked 65 on Kenpom, and despite not losing since the Kentucky game, they've slipped to 98

    Furman coming back down a bit with two losses (including a 23 pt loss to ETSU) after a 12-0 start

  6. #306
    Quote Originally Posted by buckets View Post
    Agreed

    UNCG went into the game @ Kentucky ranked 65 on Kenpom, and despite not losing since the Kentucky game, they've slipped to 98

    Furman coming back down a bit with two losses (including a 23 pt loss to ETSU) after a 12-0 start
    They had some pretty unimpressive wins over bad teams

  7. #307
    Manning’s status as an NBA and college star probably overshadowed any concern over his complete lack of personality and, even more so, unwillingness to be accountable. It shouldn’t have, but it did. Even in spite of the on court results he was coming in with, I was certainly excited about the “name” factor when it came to grabbing the attention of recruits’ parents.

    The on court performance quickly washed away that enthusiasm, for many of us anyway.

  8. #308
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    64,345
    How could anyone possibly know Manning is/was "unwillingness to be accountable"?

    There's absolutely nothing in his past that could lead anyone to this assumption. It's a totally preposterous position. Hell, he started out as the lowest, unpaid member of the KU staff saying he hadn't earned anything more and worked his way up.

    Danny isn't a good HC and should be fired, but there is no need for attacks that have no basis in history.

  9. #309
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    How could anyone possibly know Manning is/was "unwillingness to be accountable"?

    There's absolutely nothing in his past that could lead anyone to this assumption. It's a totally preposterous position. Hell, he started out as the lowest, unpaid member of the KU staff saying he hadn't earned anything more and worked his way up.

    Danny isn't a good HC and should be fired, but there is no need for attacks that have no basis in history.
    Do you think he is taking accountability for this disaster? If not, that is a coaching flaw. Do you think that coaching flaw could have been sussed out a bit more by those who interviewed him?

  10. #310
    Steve Lepore Stan Gable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Adams College
    Posts
    1,832
    Nostradumus couldn't have predicted that. Even Stevie Wonder could see that.....

  11. #311
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    64,345
    There was nothing in his background that would ever lead anyone to ask such a question. Very few players of his stature would have taken the long and low paid route that he did. It took him years of hard work to become a HC.

    Therefore, the answer to your question about this being sussed out by those who interviewed him is absolutely not. There was no reason to ask the question and his previous actions disprove the premise during the interview process.

    We agree he should have done a better job of it at Wake, but there was nothing to indicate anything like that 4+ years ago.

    He deserves to be gone. But there is no reason to invent excuses that had no basis in his previous professional career.

  12. #312
    The biggest test for UNCG (#98) in the SoCon is Wofford.

    Wofford is very good (#64), overall record is 10-4, but their losses are to: #6, KS (Wofford led with 18 minutes to go) , #8 UNC (game tied with 10 minutes to go), #20 Miss. State (Wofford led by 12 in the second half) and #24 Oklahoma (Wofford led with 12 minutes to go). Right now, KP projects the following SoCon conference records:

    Wofford (#64) 14-4
    UNCG (#98) 13-5
    ETSU (#96) 13-5
    Furman (#119) 11-7

    No other SoCon is projected to be above .500 (however, Citadel has their best team in a long time).

    Wes Miller has done well at UNCG, but the odds are that they are not a NCAA tourney team this year. While an UNCG NCAA bid (which would mean winning the conference tourney) is possible, UNCG is far from a favorite to get to the dance. So, if UNCG doesn't make the tourney, let's say UNCG gets an NIT or CBI bid. Well that's nice; in 8 years of coaching at UNCG, will have taken one team to the NCAAs and another to the NIT. With that resume, it's not like Miller will be considered some sort of national coaching star after the season.

    So, let's dispel the notion that:

    a) UNC has settled on Miller as the successor to Roy
    b) Miller will have multiple Power V offers to choose from
    c) The "train has left the station" for WF to hire Miller

    There is a lot of basketball left this year to build up or tear down the coaching resume, but DR has managed to create a lot of buzz on this board for a decent candidate, but Miller is really just another possibility with some positives and negatives among many potential candidates. If WF does not hire Miller, chances are old Wes will either return for UNCG for year 9 or coaching a school like Tulane or Richmond next year.
    Last edited by Pilchard; 01-02-2019 at 01:49 PM.

  13. #313
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    64,345
    ETSU's coach Steve Forbes has done better in the SoCon than Wes Miller and has P6 experience.

  14. #314
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    They had some pretty unimpressive wins over bad teams
    unlike wake who has had some pretty impressive losses to bad teams

  15. #315
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    ETSU's coach Steve Forbes has done better in the SoCon than Wes Miller and has P6 experience.
    Steve Forbes is an awesome coach but he has some recruiting baggage that will keep him from being a viable candidate for WF

  16. #316
    Quote Originally Posted by buckets View Post
    Steve Forbes is an awesome coach but he has some recruiting baggage that will keep him from being a viable candidate for WF
    Flat tax?

  17. #317
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    There was nothing in his background that would ever lead anyone to ask such a question. Very few players of his stature would have taken the long and low paid route that he did. It took him years of hard work to become a HC.

    Therefore, the answer to your question about this being sussed out by those who interviewed him is absolutely not. There was no reason to ask the question and his previous actions disprove the premise during the interview process.

    We agree he should have done a better job of it at Wake, but there was nothing to indicate anything like that 4+ years ago.

    He deserves to be gone. But there is no reason to invent excuses that had no basis in his previous professional career.
    Good insights. What else did you learn when interviewing him?

  18. #318
    Quote Originally Posted by buckets View Post
    Steve Forbes is an awesome coach but he has some recruiting baggage that will keep him from being a viable candidate for WF
    2017 article on Forbes' journey to ETSU: https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...ate-buccaneers

  19. #319
    Quote Originally Posted by Ball State Deac View Post
    Flat tax?
    I laughed.

  20. #320
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    64,345
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacDaddy View Post
    Good insights. What else did you learn when interviewing him?
    You made a nonsensical attack out of thin air. I showed you why your point was wholly without any merit or logic and this is your equally silly response?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •