Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 560

Thread: Wes Miller Watch 2018-2019

  1. #401
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerDeac View Post
    Generally someone actually recognized by the press and others as a good coach or an up and coming coach. You know, a coach others are actually interested in hiring. No one was knocking down [name redacted] or Manning's doors when we came calling.
    You could just read the coaching threads here. Everybody that anyone wanted here was superior to Wellman's hires.

    Both times he hired someone that no one on these boards would have considered or was even on the radar. Wellman made incredible risky hires that made absolutely no sense at the time.

  2. #402
    Quote Originally Posted by inspectah View Post
    That John Pelphrey horse is getting pretty tired.

    In fairness to Wellman, Bz and Manning were not terrible choices on paper (not great by any means but not terrible either).

    It's just amazing to me that RW so badly misjudged their ability to connect with and motivate players. It shouldn't have taken more than five minutes of interviewing Bz to know he wasn't a good fit from a personality standpoint. Making those sorts of judgment calls and getting them right are what the guy gets paid to do.
    Man, time has been kind to Bz on these boards. Some people seem to have forgotten just how bad he was. He was an absolutely terrible hire on paper. That's really not even debatable.

  3. #403
    As for what a safe hire actually looks like, it's someone who has built a winning program at a mid-major or higher level while having experience recruiting at a high major level and preferably having close ties to the Carolina's region. That leaves Hoiberg, Alford, and Grant as obviously available candidates. Oats is probably less safe (since he doesn't have high major recruiting experience), but is more exciting due to how quick / successful his build at Buffalo has been.

  4. #404
    Quote Originally Posted by knowell View Post
    You could just read the coaching threads here. Everybody that anyone wanted here was superior to Wellman's hires.

    Both times he hired someone that no one on these boards would have considered or was even on the radar. Wellman made incredible risky hires that made absolutely no sense at the time.
    Manning was on the radar.

  5. #405
    Quote Originally Posted by inspectah View Post
    That John Pelphrey horse is getting pretty tired.

    In fairness to Wellman, Bz and Manning were not terrible choices on paper (not great by any means but not terrible either).
    Jesus Christ! What the hell do bad hires on paper look like to you? BZ was a pretty much a proven godawful hire. Manning was an extremely high risk hire at a time when Wake absolutely had to have a good coach.

    The thing was still salvageable after BZ. At this point it does not matter as much. There is nothing to salvage. The program will have to be rebuilt.

  6. #406
    Quote Originally Posted by WFU Lurker View Post
    Manning was on the radar.
    I did not hear his name mentioned on these boards. It may have been casually by someone, but I did not even know he was coaching. Certainly not in the top 10 coaches talked about on these boards.

  7. #407
    Quote Originally Posted by knowell View Post
    Jesus Christ! What the hell do bad hires on paper look like to you? BZ was a pretty much a proven godawful hire. Manning was an extremely high risk hire at a time when Wake absolutely had to have a good coach.

    The thing was still salvageable after BZ. At this point it does not matter as much. There is nothing to salvage. The program will have to be rebuilt.
    Who would a have been a lower risk hire when we hired Manning?

  8. #408
    Quote Originally Posted by knowell View Post
    I did not hear his name mentioned on these boards. It may have been casually by someone, but I did not even know he was coaching. Certainly not in the top 10 coaches talked about on these boards.
    I don't know where he ranked overall, but a few folks were big fans (sorry guys):
    https://www.ogboards.com/forums/show...ng#post1666217
    https://www.ogboards.com/forums/show...ng#post1666860
    https://www.ogboards.com/forums/show...=1#post1666868
    https://www.ogboards.com/forums/show...ng#post1667029

  9. #409
    I stand corrected. I still don't think he was anywhere near a favorite. Looks like Red Sox Faithful was the main proponent. Some support from Tau & CrisL as well.

  10. #410
    A good candidate looks like what Dave Clawson looked like. Started at a very small school (Fordham) and slowly moved up, sometimes totally rebuilding as was the case at Fordham and Richmond.

    I think we should take a guy that has had success at more than one place regardless of size and has moved to a bigger school with each stop. Not exactly sure who that is, but he is out there.

  11. #411
    There was a lot of consensus around Mike White being a safe/great hire/up and comer. So much consensus that he didn't have to take the Wake job and held out for Florida. It's not as easy as people think here. Manning and Bzz likely weren't our first choices.

    I'm hoping Nate Oats is interested but he is looking like a Mike White trajectory.

  12. #412
    Quote Originally Posted by MichDeac25 View Post
    There was a lot of consensus around Mike White being a safe/great hire/up and comer. So much consensus that he didn't have to take the Wake job and held out for Florida. It's not as easy as people think here. Manning and Bzz likely weren't our first choices.

    I'm hoping Nate Oats is interested but he is looking like a Mike White trajectory.
    We have no idea what we offered him, in terms of his own salary, other resources, and the overall sales pitch. Just because we didn't get him doesn't mean that we couldn't have gotten him. Never forget that Ron Wellman is an ass.

  13. #413
    Sam "Ace" Rothstein
    DeacsATS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,642
    The more information I gather on Oats, the more it seems like he's going to be an elite coach for a long time, regardless of where he ends up. I really hope it is at Wake Forest.

    Beyond having impressive results at Buffalo, he just seems to have that competitive fire that a lot of folks around here want to see in a head coach.

    There are a number of candidates that would excite me, but he's at the top of the list.

    Biggest concern I have with him is that he'll be hired by someone else. Agree w/ MichDeac25 that it could be a Mike White scenario where he knows he can get a better gig.

  14. #414
    in terms of a "safe hire" or someone who has proven he can build and sustain a program long enough to go through a 4-year recruiting cycle, WF has hired one of those guys in the last 50 years - Skip Prosser (two if you count Staak maintaining Xavier near the top of the MW Cities Conference)

    Oats has obviously done that, and unlike Mike White, his dad is not the AD at the premier basketball program in our conference

    I hope we can get him
    Last edited by thatguy2016; 01-11-2019 at 10:37 AM.

  15. #415

  16. #416
    Scooter Banks
    DeaconSig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    9,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayo View Post
    Man, time has been kind to Bz on these boards. Some people seem to have forgotten just how bad he was. He was an absolutely terrible hire on paper. That's really not even debatable.
    I debated quitting being a Wake fan the day he was hired. In hindsight, it might have been the better choice.

    [name redacted] was an awful hire, on paper, from the day Goodman or whomever else it was broke the story he was likely the choice.

  17. #417
    I think Ron had a hard-on for him from the point his Air Force team blew us out onwards. Especially knowing the guy from back in the day

  18. #418
    I wonder if Mit is going to help Ron find the $19M he will owe Manning...

  19. #419
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    98,519
    Quote Originally Posted by wsc8521s View Post
    I think Ron had a hard-on for him from the point his Air Force team blew us out onwards. Especially knowing the guy from back in the day
    Still think the whole thing was a ploy to get his buddy closer to his daughter.

    [name redacted] is arguably the worst hire in ACC history.

    Manning is arguably the worst coach in ACC history.

  20. #420
    Bob Wade says hi...

    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Still think the whole thing was a ploy to get his buddy closer to his daughter.

    [name redacted] is arguably the worst hire in ACC history.

    Manning is arguably the worst coach in ACC history.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •