• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller Watch 2018-2019

While Wes is undoubtedly better than Danny, since he is alive, this strikes me as a Filene's bargain basement hire. Surely we can do better.

Filene's OMG!!!!

When we went to get my brother at Tufts, I was about 13/14. He sat me on the stairs to Filene's basement and said he'd be back in an hour or two and not move. All of a sudden, an army of women descended upon the basement for a sale on bridal gowns. They were pushing and shoving each other. A couple of punches were thrown. The women would grab an armful of dresses. The best was when they started trying on the gowns in the aisle of the store. All these twenty-something or so women were getting all but naked in the aisle so as not to lose their places.

I was in heaven. It basically took my brother picking me up bodily to get me to leave. That was a fun couple of hours for a 13/14 year old. :)

^my real point is that, looking over the several decades, hiring an assistant coach who's learned from an elite head coach has had a higher rate of success that a midmajor coach without an elite track record. oats has an elite track record; grant, miller and kelsey do not.

Do you have some stats to back that up? I would rather hire a hot young assistant than a low major or midmajor guy who looks like they’re just getting their turn to win their shitty conference. I just want some evidence. I feel like if our AD had an eye for talent, we could make it happen.

Do you have some stats to back that up? I would rather hire a hot young assistant than a low major or midmajor guy who looks like they’re just getting their turn to win their shitty conference. I just want some evidence. I feel like if our AD had an eye for talent, we could make it happen.

Tommy Lloyd is the most surefire hire from the assistant ranks, but he is not leaving Gonzaga because he's already been named coach-in-waiting.

I'd like to see a guy with a track record of multiple years of success as a head coach, preferably coaching teams that play good defense and have understandable offense schemes.
Experience recruiting top 150 players successfully and working with them and graduating them should be additional requirements. Top 25 teams generally need NBA level talent. However, the coach has to make the players understand that while in school, for however many years that may be, they need to act like diligent students in the class room.

Tommy Lloyd is the most surefire hire from the assistant ranks, but he is not leaving Gonzaga because he's already been named coach-in-waiting.

Few is only 56. Will Lloyd wnat to wait that long?

Mike Hopkins was named "coach-in-waiting" at Cuse before leaving for Washington.

I'd like to see a guy with a track record of multiple years of success as a head coach, preferably coaching teams that play good defense and have understandable offense schemes.
Experience recruiting top 150 players successfully and working with them and graduating them should be additional requirements. Top 25 teams generally need NBA level talent. However, the coach has to make the players understand that while in school, for however many years that may be, they need to act like diligent students in the class room.

Mark Few or Jay Wright sounds like your guy. Which do you prefer that we hire?

I like Wright a little better. East coast guy.

I will get Cobb to mention that to Wellman since he has a seat at the table.

We will just need to convince Wright that he needs a real man challenge.

I will get Cobb to mention that to Wellman since he has a seat at the table.

We will just need to convince Wright that he needs a real man challenge.

Has there been a coach who won National titles at two different schools?

One game versus three...anyone can win one game against a much better team...well anyone other than HOF Wes who has lost nearly two dozen games against ranked teams AND three straight to Danny.

P.S. In Wake Forest fan's mind, being 0-24 (or more) against Top 25 teams and Danny Manning teams is good enough qualify to be a P6 HC. Talk about being insane.

I only stated being 0-3 against Manningquin shouldn't disqualify him. I never said anything about 0-24 against top 25 or being ready to be a Power 6 coach. He's not my top choice, but would be an improvement. Then again, I'm very confident my 14 year old shih tzu would be an upgrade.

I only stated being 0-3 against Manningquin shouldn't disqualify him. I never said anything about 0-24 against top 25 or being ready to be a Power 6 coach. He's not my top choice, but would be an improvement. Then again, I'm very confident my 14 year old shih tzu would be an upgrade.

And would most certainly give a better interview.

One of the top assistant's in college hoop is Dane Fife at Michigan State. He is 39. He was a McDonald's A-A that was recruited to Indiana by Knight, and started on the team coached by Mike Davis that lost in the NCAA finals. After dabbling in pro ball for a year, he was an assistant at Indiana for a year. At age 25, Fife was named head coach at IP-Fort Wayne who had just transitioned to D-1, and were awful. His first year at IPFW, they won a program record 10 games. They improved their win total each year under Fife. While a head coach at IPFW, Fife was offered assistant coaching jobs by Tom Crean at Indiana, John Beilein at Michigan and Matt Painter at Purdue. Finally, he took the associate head coaching job at Michigan State.

Fife has been ranked as among the top 5 assistant coaches in the country by both Jay Bilas and Jeff Goodman. In 2017, Duquesne (Atlantic 10) offered Fife the head job, and he turned it down. He was also a candidate for the head job at Indiana, before they selected Archie Miller. Fife is likely waiting for Izzo to retire (Izzo is 63), but would think a WF offer would be hard for him to turndown.

Here is Fife's MSU profile: https://msuspartans.com/coaches.aspx?rc=619&path=mbball

Last edited:
One of the top assistant's in college hoop is Dane Fife at Michigan State. He is 39. He was a McDonald's A-A that was recruited to Indiana by Knight, and started on the team coached by Mike Davis that lost in the NCAA finals. After dabbling in pro ball for a year, he was an assistant at Indiana for a year. At age 25, Fife was named head coach at IP-Fort Wayne who had just transitioned to D-1, and were awful. His first year at IPFW, they won a program record 10 games his first year. They improved their win total each year under Fife. While a head coach IPFW, he was offered assistant coaching jobs by Tom Crean at Indiana, John Beilein at Michigan and Matt Painter at Purdue. Finally, he took the associate head coaching job at Michigan State.

Fife has been ranked as among the top 5 assistant coaches in the country by both Jay Bilas and Jeff Goodman. In 2017, Duquesne (Atlantic 10) offered Fife the head job, and he turned it down. He was also a candidate for the head job at Indiana, before they selected Archie Miller. Fife is likely waiting for Izzo to retire (Izzo is 63), but would think a WF offer would be hard for him to turndown.

Here is Fife's MSU profile: https://msuspartans.com/coaches.aspx?rc=619&path=mbball

Everything I read about him screams "Big Ten Lifer", but agree that he has a solid resume.

Fife would likely be a good hire, but he could be gone in a couple of years.

^my real point is that, looking over the several decades, hiring an assistant coach who's learned from an elite head coach has had a higher rate of success that a midmajor coach without an elite track record. oats has an elite track record; grant, miller and kelsey do not.

should look at the Bill Self coaching tree imo

Few is only 56. Will Lloyd wnat to wait that long?

Mike Hopkins was named "coach-in-waiting" at Cuse before leaving for Washington.

Yeah, somehow I think Syracuse lures him back when Boeheim retires. He just landed top 5 recruit Isaiah Stewart 2 days ago over Duke, Kentucky, and Michigan State. Now Hopkins is also considered the favorite to land fellow top 10 player Jaden McDaniels. He will have Washington competing for the Pac 12 championship next year. Syracuse will back up the brinks truck to bring him back, he was always their top recruiter and Boeheim's top student of the 2-3 zone.

Before the Stewart commitment, I might have had Hoppy on UCLA's short list as well. His ties with Mater Dei, recruiting and experience at Cuse make him a great fit. Given that Stewart and McDaniels can't sign until mid-April, I wonder if UCLA could nuke the PAC 12 by getting Hopkins and him bringing his UW recruits with him.

Before the Stewart commitment, I might have had Hoppy on UCLA's short list as well. His ties with Mater Dei, recruiting and experience at Cuse make him a great fit. Given that Stewart and McDaniels can't sign until mid-April, I wonder if UCLA could nuke the PAC 12 by getting Hopkins and him bringing his UW recruits with him.

I still think Musselman should be their guy.

Back