• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller Watch 2018-2019

It's always pathetic when someone tries to tout how smart they are.

Very easy to make a pro-Wes Miller argument without simultaneously taking a dump on the WF followers here that agonize over the disaster that WF basketball has become.

Wes has had a lot of on the job learning, and seems to have, after many years, learned to beat teams at his current level. He only sees P6 teams from the opposing bench and film perspective. And neither of those is frequent. He may be successful in his tier of teams, but it is not a given that will translate to success at the ACC level.

Recruiting in particular is different when going against P6 schools for top 100 talent instead of against mid-majors wooing top 250 level players. Top 100 teenagers think that with the right coaching they are NBA bound. That is a different mindset from kids who use basketball to get a college education they might not be able to afford otherwise.

Without some kind of track record in the "pre-NBA" recruiting world, it is a crapshoot on how he would do. And recruiting at a high level is necessary for success at a P6 school.

The best thing that ever happened to Wes Miller's career was that DR didn't have the power to hire him. He would have been fired after Year 3 or Year 4 and would have had to start all over as an assistant at mid-major. If he did well there, maybe he gets a mid-major HC job or an assistant job at a P6. Barring a miracle, it most likely would have taken Wes 10-15 years to get interviews for another P6 HC job.

How come HOF Wes isn't listed in most top young coaches lists?

Wes has had a lot of on the job learning, and seems to have, after many years, learned to beat teams at his current level. He only sees P6 teams from the opposing bench and film perspective. And neither of those is frequent. He may be successful in his tier of teams, but it is not a given that will translate to success at the ACC level.

Recruiting in particular is different when going against P6 schools for top 100 talent instead of against mid-majors wooing top 250 level players. Top 100 teenagers think that with the right coaching they are NBA bound. That is a different mindset from kids who use basketball to get a college education they might not be able to afford otherwise.

Without some kind of track record in the "pre-NBA" recruiting world, it is a crapshoot on how he would do. And recruiting at a high level is necessary for success at a P6 school.

If you have something to sell and are a young passionate coach with a vision, you will do just fine as a recruiter.

It's always pathetic when someone tries to tout how smart they are.

Very easy to make a pro-Wes Miller argument without simultaneously taking a dump on the WF followers here that agonize over the disaster that WF basketball has become.

To be clear, you openly and publicly told me I was nuts for touting Miller 10 & 5 years ago. Now everyone wants him. You were wrong. I was right.

It's not like I'm just trying to get a backslap. I knew I was smarter than you on the topic for the same reason I was smarter than Wellman was. You weren't talking to people and watching them. You don't live here.

Wellman doesn't either. He walks around with his head down not speaking to folks. He never introduced himself to Wes Miller when Wes was 15 and then watched him closely for 20 years to see with his own eyes what Wes was about.

You are like the PG dribbling up the court with your head down. In your case, it's not that you are trying to be that way--you just don't live here and go to games. In Wellman's case, he's just a pompous ass who thinks he is smarter than the rest of us. It didn't take a genius to figure out Wes was not some normal son of a rich guy. Anyone paying attention would have noticed--and now they have. Too damn late for us sadly.

Last edited:
To be clear, you openly and publicly told me I was nuts for touting Miller 10 & 5 years ago. Now everyone wants him. You were wrong. I was right.

It's not like I'm just trying to get a backslap. I knew I was smarter than you on the topic for the same reason I was smarter than Wellman was. You weren't talking to people and watching them. You don't live here.

Wellman doesn't either. He walks around with his head down not speaking to folks. He never introduced himself to Wes Miller when Wes was 15 and then watched him closely for 20 years to see with his own eyes what Wes was about.

You are like the PG dribbling up the court with your head down. In your case, it's not that you are trying to be that way--you just don't live here and go to games. In Wellman's case, he's just a pompous ass who thinks he is smarter than the rest of us. It didn't take a genius to figure out Wes was not some normal son of a rich guy. Anyone paying attention would have noticed--and now they have. Too damn late for us sadly.

Is that kind of like "can't bull shit a bullshitter"?

"Nobody spots a pompous ass quicker than a pompous ass"

Wes has commits that had ACC offers

Wes 10 years ago was an awful idea

Wes now is a pretty good one

You were nuts touting Miller for the job ten years ago and five ago. He had no qualifications that warranted consideration at those points. Ten years ago, he had ZERO experience. But you won't admit that no P6 school has hired a bball coach with ZERO experience in at least the past fifty years.

You also won't admit that five years ago, Miller was a failure at UNC-G and had zero P6 experience. Again, he wasn't close to being qualified to be HC at a P6 school.

Hell, you won't even admit that I sent emails to senior management at Wake when there are two threads showing I did.

Wes 10 years ago was an awful idea

Wes now is a pretty good one

This is where I’m having trouble understanding how the self-proclaimed genius does not comprehend this. It’s entertaining nonetheless.

100000000%

ETA: Maybe DR secretly hates Wes Miller and wanted to ruin his career? What a plot twist that would be

Or maybe he would have won around two more games than Buzz over 4 years, and signed an 18mil guaranteed contract for 6 yrs. Just saying it's possible.

did you or did you not start a thread outlining why Wojo would be the right choice to replace Bz?

Is that kind of like "can't bull shit a bullshitter"?

"Nobody spots a pompous ass quicker than a pompous ass"

Agree. The difference is I openly admit to being a pompous ass. It’s actually on my letterhead.

Just trying to understand DR's claims above:

WF should have hired Wes Miller 10 years ago? That was 2008. In 2008. Wes Miller just finished playing basketball for a team called the London Capitals (I assume that's a low level pro team in England). That Fall after leaving England, Miller received his first coaching gig as a professional. He was hired as an assistant at Elon under Ernie Nestor. Elon went 11-20 that year, and Nestor was fired.

So, you are now claiming that WF was stupid for not hiring Wes Miller as 25 year old after getting cut by the London Capitals or are you claiming WF should have hired Miller at 26 after his one season as an assistant on a low level 11-20 team who just had their head coach fired? Rather than get the head job at WF in 2009 or any of the other 350 D-1 schools or an assistant job at a top 200 school, Miller got an assistant gig at High Point under Scott Cherry.

WF should've hired Miller 5 years ago? 5 years ago was 2013. In 2013, Wes Miller had completed two years as head coach at UNC-G. His two year record at UNCG was 22-41, including a 14 point loss to a horrible (13-18) WF team coached by []. WF should've hired Miller then? With two years of head coaching experience at a low level with a poor record, and no evidence that he could build a program? BTW, Wes Miller continued to have losing records at UNC-G through the 2015-6 season, and he was lucky to have kept his job at that point. No one, not even mid-majors had Wes Miller on their list of worst-case contingencies at any point until last season.

Everyone agrees that Wellman is arrogant and dismissive of reasonable fact-based criticism (like you). Everyone agrees that Wellman has bungled his oversight of the WF basketball program rendering it non-competitive (like you would have in 2008 and 2013). The assessment of Wellman does not mean that WF should've hired Wes Miller when he was looking to be a towel boy for a college program after his two year pro career in London ended, nor does it mean that WF should've hired Miller when he was a two year failure at UNCG.

Also, just to complete debunking your ridiculous claims: Wes Miller is above taking the WF job now? Uh no. Unlike someone who advocates for him, Miller is perceptive, reasonable and understands that the steps a coach must take to get a Power V coaching job. Francis Alonzo will be gone after this season. Wes knows the time is ripe to take advantage of his success because if he doesn't make the jump after this year; he is one off year away from becoming a career SoCon coach. Wes would dive at a WF offer, and he would understand that he has earned the right to accept the offer, by showing he can build a program.

Last edited:
Back