• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller Watch 2018-2019

What do you mean on Stansbury? Don’t know too much about him outside of being a successful coach.

Stansbury has acquired a reputation for being a dirty recruiter. It is a reputation that has been earned over a long time at a number of different schools. I think it is safe to say he'll never be considered for the Wake Forest head coaching position.

I want the dude with the beard who won the DII title last year!

1-26-18-Faces-in-the-Crowd_-Andy-Bronkema-Andy_Ferris.jpg

Last edited:
Shit, I think he shaved his beard and is a total dork now. Lame.

C647UdAWsAEnbIZ.jpg

Let’s be clear: I’m questioning that. If we are a top 30 school, how come our alums are not smart? Why do we allow Ron Wellman to hold our athletic department hostage? To say we are powerless to stop this is silly. We have a BOT with Wake Forest graduates. They say no one is complaining besides me. We are not a good school.

Seems to me a self-made millionaire would already be on the BOT.

Stansbury has acquired a reputation for being a dirty recruiter. It is a reputation that has been earned over a long time at a number of different schools. I think it is safe to say he'll never be considered for the Wake Forest head coaching position.

I always get this mixed up, but was it Stansbury who tried to get Woods the day after Skip's death?

Actually Ed Cooley is a great coach. Very underrated. He has been solid in some tough places to win. But he makes a ton of money where he is and is basically a northeast recruiter at this point. No way he would come to Wake. He turned down multiple bigger schools last year. Wake is in a tough spot. Always going to be behind the 8 ball with such a big and tough conference. Very hard sell to any top coach to have to battle duke unc Louisville Syracuse every year. Most guys would rather go to a powerhouse with an easier road. They are going to be similar to wake football where they need to target the younger smaller school up and comers. No established coach making money is going to gamble and come to wake

Posted this in one of the DM threads but Honest question that I am sure has been discussed ad nauseam, did wake consider interviewing or interview Chris Mack after skip's untimely death? If not, that will go down as one of our bigger blunders in a mound of blunders this athletic department has had since that time.

I'm a big fan of John Becker at UVM. I only follow him because my wife went there to college. But they do very well every year in the American East and he preaches defense. Plays very tough against the big boys. had a Close game with kansas this year. Better than we would do against KU.

https://uvmathletics.com/staff.aspx?staff=35

I’m so confused. Guy wanted to go to Wake. Railroaded by Wellman because his dad was a donor. The only lesson to take is don’t give to Wake. Goes to UNC without taking a scholarship (since they have smart people in charge). Starts National title game. Takes on ACC tourney doesn’t matter UNC mentality. Wears #22 in tribute to Randolph.

And we have to still deal with bozos like this? Unbelievable.

Of course the other giant elephant in the room is that Wake’s greatest coach ever in hoops went where for school? UNC of course.

And you think Wellman will hire him after railroading him?

I'm a big fan of John Becker at UVM. I only follow him because my wife went there to college. But they do very well every year in the American East and he preaches defense. Plays very tough against the big boys. had a Close game with kansas this year. Better than we would do against KU.

He has worked his way up from the bottom. His resume doesn't show any time at P5 or even midmajor schools. So it is hard to predict how he might do recruiting that level of player. It may be different dealing with teenagers who think of themselves as pre-NBA.

I thought Prosser nixed the Miller as walk-on idea, or insisted that he'd have to try out, and that was what did it.

He has worked his way up from the bottom. His resume doesn't show any time at P5 or even midmajor schools. So it is hard to predict how he might do recruiting that level of player. It may be different dealing with teenagers who think of themselves as pre-NBA.

Yeah, it would be a step to come from the Northeast with four year players at a small public school to a private school in the South with possible one or two and done guys. But I've always been impressed with the way his teams play. Maybe a solid assistant coach who could recruit and had southern ties could help. Anyway, just a thought. the last coach at UVM (mike Lonergan) left for George Washington and had relatively good success (ultimately got fired for verbal abuse of players after a 28-10 season and overall 97-70 at GW).

I just want Wes to watch it blow up spectacularly and continue the suck for another 5 years and DR pretend he was never for it. Where then the pivot will be nobody can be successful without that small as shit arena, if you’re not playing in front of 18 people you have no chance!

I thought Prosser nixed the Miller as walk-on idea, or insisted that he'd have to try out, and that was what did it.

I don't know what happened, but it is hard to believe most ANY reason why Wake passed on Miller as a walk-on player. His legacy, plus he was a current Div II or III scholarship player, IIRC. There are more reasons beyond being a pretty good coach that Wake should show him some love and serious consideration this time around. Most every coach is hired to eventually be fired - fear repercussions further down the road?

I just can't see a coach that preaches defense in this day and age succeeding. Everyone wants to shoot 3's and its encouraged by most coaches as the game is all about spacing. K is even up front about it in that if you can't make a 3, don't even consider Duke.

Wake ought to look at the guy coaching Furman.

Back