• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller Watch 2018-2019

What is the next contract going to be? Because Danny is still on the payroll for 5 more basketball seasons after this one, I think big name-big money coaches are out. For an up and coming coach is 4 years for $8 million good? 5 years for $9 million? Will have to make the right hire because Wake Forest can't afford 3 head coaches on the payroll and Danny will be collecting checks until 2025.

FIVE MORE SEASONS? He got a 7 year extension for recruiting John Collins? Jesus, he has a good agent.

What is the next contract going to be? Because Danny is still on the payroll for 5 more basketball seasons after this one, I think big name-big money coaches are out. For an up and coming coach is 4 years for $8 million good? 5 years for $9 million? Will have to make the right hire because Wake Forest can't afford 3 head coaches on the payroll and Danny will be collecting checks until 2025.

We don't know this right? We know that's how far his contract goes but not the terms of the buy-out.

I disagree that an established coach would shy away from Wake Forest.

I know the topic has been discussed here at length in the past, but there is a window in the ACC (that we are at risk of missing) where K, Roy, and Boeheim are on their way out... There is an opportunity for other programs to fill the vacuum. Pitino leaving Louisville was part of this window, as well, but they hit a home run in hiring Chris Mack and should be able to continue as an elite program (barring potential sanctions).

This isn't football, where a small private school like Wake Forest has inherent disadvantages. Investments have been made into the basketball facilities. We play in the top conference. We have a history with periods of success (though more in the rear view every day).

I think most coaches would at least listen if Wake Forest showed interest.

This. The things that matter are:

1) Are we actually willing to pay someone? None of these [name redacted]/Manning salaries. We need to pay to play. The increase in revenue alone that would come from hiring an exciting coach should cover the cost.
2) Is the well still poisoned from the way Wellman handled Dino, and, if so, can that be overcome?

1) Are we actually willing to pay someone? None of these [name redacted]/Manning salaries. We need to pay to play. The increase in revenue alone that would come from hiring an exciting coach should cover the cost.
2) Is the well still poisoned from the way Wellman handled Dino, and, if so, can that be overcome?

This is a big question that I'm sure most wish could be answered. Even if Wellman has nothing to do with a new HC search, that coach will still have to "work" for Wellman. That is why I wish both Wellman and Manning would be shit canned together.

Assuming Wellman is still here to replace Danny.

The well was never poisoned by firing Dino. It wasn't a blip anywhere outside of W-S. The actions after doing so are far more detrimental than the inconsequential firing of a career assistant coach.

I don't know what Wellman did in response, but I do know that Mit Shah openly advocated for Chris Mack during that search.

When Skip died in July, the "coaching search" was limited to the building. Finding an available coach in July is difficult to impossible. Going outside Wake staff at that time would have been too traumatic after the tragedy of Skip's untimely death. Jeff Battle and Dino were the only real choices. Jeff's wife was extremely ill so he was not interested at that moment. Dino was then named HC. That was the "search" after Skip died.

This is a big question that I'm sure most wish could be answered. Even if Wellman has nothing to do with a new HC search, that coach will still have to "work" for Wellman. That is why I wish both Wellman and Manning would be shit canned together.

You could argue that would make it worse. Would be hard to hire a coach who has no idea who his boss will be. Would be unusual to fire an AD in March anyway. If Wellman has to go before Manning, it means we are stuck with Manning for another season IMO. And then another season more based on how long the AD replacement takes and how soon he/she is willing to fire a coach after starting the job. As much as I want to see Wellman gone, I want to see our basketball improved more. I think best chance for that is to leave Wellman in place for now but limit his influence on the hiring process.

WF is particularly awful at defending the 3 (#299 38%). Scary considering that, outside of St. Joe, WF has not played a schedule full of great shooting teams... yet.

Nah, RJ already let me know that I was crazy to highlight this as a concern a few weeks ago. You need to use those stats with context.

You could argue that would make it worse. Would be hard to hire a coach who has no idea who his boss will be. Would be unusual to fire an AD in March anyway. If Wellman has to go before Manning, it means we are stuck with Manning for another season IMO. And then another season more based on how long the AD replacement takes and how soon he/she is willing to fire a coach after starting the job. As much as I want to see Wellman gone, I want to see our basketball improved more. I think best chance for that is to leave Wellman in place for now but limit his influence on the hiring process.

Fair enough, but the question still remains, what caliber of coach wants to work with Wellman, regardless of who leads the search. I'm all in for trying though!

I just want Wes to watch it blow up spectacularly and continue the suck for another 5 years and DR pretend he was never for it. Where then the pivot will be nobody can be successful without that small as shit arena, if you’re not playing in front of 18 people you have no chance!

that's what we're doing now

Nah, RJ already let me know that I was crazy to highlight this as a concern a few weeks ago. You need to use those stats with context.

I didn't say that, but misrepresenting what I say is a cottage industry.

Good news in all of this is that no other ACC jobs are likely to open this year. ACC jobs are coveted and we may be the only open option this year. Only possible change I see is Miami if the adidas scandal blows up. Other than that you either have successful veterans (Boeheim, Bennett, B. Williams, R. Williams, K, Larranaga, Hamilton, Brownell, Bray) or guys too early into their tenure to fire (Christian, Capel, Keatts, Pastner, Mack). Best possible scenario for hiring.

Do you all want what Mike Kryzeswki has built at Duke after being hired so young?

I have heard some Wake fans say they don’t. The world needs ditch diggers too! And we are ditch diggers! Hard to believe Wake is a top 50 school. Graduates complete morons.

this is my favorite line of reasoning from DR, like hiring a coach in 2019 is the same as 1980

gotta figure once Coach K retires, Duke will go back to the well and hire another young guy coming off a losing season

proven formula

this is my favorite line of reasoning from DR, like hiring a coach in 2019 is the same as 1980

gotta figure once Coach K retires, Duke will go back to the well and hire another young guy coming off a losing season

proven formula

What he doesn't tell you about K's first Duke team is that he was left THREE NBA players (Gene Banks, Vince Taylor and Kenny Dennard). Also, before K got to Duke, the men's team was Top 5-10 in historic wins.

It's not like K built anything from scratch. He's been great, but it's not like Duke wasn't a top program before he arrived.

1) Are we actually willing to pay someone? None of these [name redacted]/Manning salaries. We need to pay to play.

Athletic department is still waiting on your check to clear.

Athletic department is still waiting on your check to clear.
They'll be waiting until they get this hire right. Athletic department has plenty of ACC money and they are leaving millions in revenue in the table by allowing basketball to die. [Redacted] ended any and all giving from my end.

Last edited:

Agree.

And this is my biggest concern... I don't think Wellman is going anywhere, at least for the time being. It just feels like it will be his decision on when it is time to leave.

From my understanding of things, it sounds like we'll be stuck with Wellman until 2020... Which means he'll be involved in hiring the next coach. I'm hopeful that Wellman & Hatch have an AD succession plan already in place that can be communicated to any potential head coaching candidates... But I doubt it.

How much would it cost to fire Manning and what would it cost to hire Miller? Is there a really good high school coach that would take the job for 150k - 200k per year and all the money saved could go to the football coaches?

Back