• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller Watch 2018-2019

My sources are telling me Manning is a dead man walking. The writing is on the wall.

A good friend with close connections to WF athletics told me the same thing 2 days ago. He had promised his source anonymity. I can guess the source, but the fact that it couldn’t be shared tells me it’s reliable information.

Watched part of the UNCG game tonight and part of the Winthrop v. Campbell game tonight. Was not impressed with the way either Wes Miller's or Pat Kelsey's teams played tonight. I don't think either of those guys will be enough to turn this thing around like Keatts did with NC State.

Watched part of the UNCG game tonight and part of the Winthrop v. Campbell game tonight. Was not impressed with the way either Wes Miller's or Pat Kelsey's teams played tonight. I don't think either of those guys will be enough to turn this thing around like Keatts did with NC State.

But there is really no way to know... you have to take a shot and sometimes you miss. Our last two hires have been safe and conservative and still missed.

But there is really no way to know... you have to take a shot and sometimes you miss. Our last two hires have been safe and conservative and still missed.
Neither were safe. They were both extreme reaches.

Charleston had a bad loss tonight too.

Blew a 13 point second half lead at home to a bad Drexel team. Got out scored 11-1 to end the game.

Neither were safe. They were both extreme reaches.

Who is a safe hire then?

Bz had coached for 30 years. NBA, college, Big 10 and PAC 12. He had taken teams to the NCAA tournament and NBA playoffs. Agree that he sucked, but he had a resume.

Similarly, Manning was a 9 year assistant at KS; had played and coached teams with a Natty, and head coached another team to the NCAAs. It’s not like either lacked credentials.

Cmon Pilch. Bz was a loser. His resume of losing was clear. That’s why nobody wanted him. Manning has little history of winning. That’s why we were disappointed he was the choice.

Not sure who “we” are. Is it the same “we” that wanted John Pelphrey as head coach?

Who is a safe hire then?

Generally someone actually recognized by the press and others as a good coach or an up and coming coach. You know, a coach others are actually interested in hiring. No one was knocking down [Redacted] or Manning's doors when we came calling.

Generally someone actually recognized by the press and others as a good coach or an up and coming coach. You know, a coach others are actually interested in hiring. No one was knocking down [Redacted] or Manning's doors when we came calling.

This. It’s not difficult.

That John Pelphrey horse is getting pretty tired. :)

In fairness to Wellman, Bz and Manning were not terrible choices on paper (not great by any means but not terrible either).

It's just amazing to me that RW so badly misjudged their ability to connect with and motivate players. It shouldn't have taken more than five minutes of interviewing Bz to know he wasn't a good fit from a personality standpoint. Making those sorts of judgment calls and getting them right are what the guy gets paid to do.

Buzz Williams was a safe hire. Archie Miller was a safe hire. Chris Mack was a safe hire. From a winning perspective, Bruce Pearl was a safe hire.
For Wake, Nate Oats is the safe hire. I hope UCLA gets someone like Pitino, so there isn’t a domino effect of coaching changes. One article I read had UCLA going after Keats, which would suck as another ACC job in NC would suddenly be open.

That John Pelphrey horse is getting pretty tired. :)

In fairness to Wellman, Bz and Manning were not terrible choices on paper (not great by any means but not terrible either).

It's just amazing to me that RW so badly misjudged their ability to connect with and motivate players. It shouldn't have taken more than five minutes of interviewing Bz to know he wasn't a good fit from a personality standpoint. Making those sorts of judgment calls and getting them right are what the guy gets paid to do.

Bz was a terrible choice on paper, in person, and everywhere in between

the laughable "what they're saying" essentially said as much - we know what you're thinking, but look what Coach K has to say about Jeff!

[Redacted] was a low floor, low ceiling hire from the beginning. Neither safe nor high upside. Not only was he one of the worst ACC head coaches of all time, but he was also one of the worst hires of all time. He was in his late 50s and had never built a winning program and had spent 8 years in the state of Colorado (so didn't have relevant recruiting ties). His only winning seasons were with the loaded Air Force teams that he inherited from Joe Scott and Chris Mooney, and he was coming off of a 36-58 record with Colorado (despite lucking into a NBA grade player in Burks). At Air Force, he had absolutely not laid the foundation for success, as the program has had 2 winning seasons in the last 11.

Manning was not a safe hire, with only two years of head coaching experience, but did have higher upside because at least he hadn't failed to build a winning program or turned a winning program into a perennial loser because he was so eager to bolt for a better job.

Back