• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller Watch 2018-2019

You made a nonsensical attack out of thin air. I showed you why your point was wholly without any merit or logic and this is your equally silly response?

LOL. RJKomedian

You made a nonsensical attack out of thin air. I showed you why your point was wholly without any merit or logic and this is your equally silly response?

Those who took time to get to know the coaching candidate through the interview process might be in a better position to assess strengths and weaknesses than the rest of us. Would have been nice to learn that he doesn’t do well in owning coaching mistakes.

So, let's dispel the notion that:

a) UNC has settled on Miller as the successor to Roy
b) Miller will have multiple Power V offers to choose from
c) The "train has left the station" for WF to hire Miller

No one seriously believes any of that. Right??

a) and c) are incredibly ludicrous

Those who took time to get to know the coaching candidate through the interview process might be in a better position to assess strengths and weaknesses than the rest of us. Would have been nice to learn that he doesn’t do well in owning coaching mistakes.

His entire history before reaching Wake was hard work and being a basketball lifer. Your position is completely absurd and invented.

His entire history before reaching Wake was hard work and being a basketball lifer. Your position is completely absurd and invented.

So, we will see results pretty soon then. Seems about right.

Something in the water in Winston-Salem then. Huh.

Danny Manning is showing exactly who he is.

9JrNdUo.gif

There is a lot of basketball left this year to build up or tear down the coaching resume, but DR has managed to create a lot of buzz on this board for a decent candidate, but Miller is really just another possibility with some positives and negatives among many potential candidates.
This is just where we disagree and where Wellman screwed up with Manning. A couple Tulsa players got hot and “on paper” Manning was a great hire? No way. What you are saying is that if Francis Alonso throws the Spartans on his back, hits critical 3s and the G goes 16-2 and wins in Asheville, that now its ok to hire him??

The reason we want Wes is we have actually watched him for 20 years.

He is:
1) Competitive as heck
2) Very smart (knows the rules too—unlike Dopey)
3) Outworks everybody. All basketball all the time. Works the European YouTube videos for recruiting 365.
4) Classy
5) Loves the ACC and the ACC tournament from his youth as a Wake fan
6) Loyal as hell, and unlike some “on paper” hire who has accomplished things at Oregon State. If Wes wins here—he’s staying.

If hiring a coach was all about the past, we’d hire Bobby Knight. It’s not. It’s what you will accomplish from 2020-2050. This isn’t a hard decision. We know who will have a long and successful career in the ACC. It will be Miller.

Another way of saying this is Miller has built a great UNCG team through hard work and the qualities many at Wake already knew he had (and said so publicly)

If they end up 13-5 this year instead of 15-3 in the So Con, does that change any of that. I say no, Pilchar says yes.

I don’t want the Coach with the best resume at Wake. I want the one that will create the best resume at Wake and then stay. That’s Miller and Kelsey. It’s not Alford and Howland.

John Becker from Vermont, keep an eye on him.

I mentioned him in the last thread about coaching candidates. No one seemed to be on board with that. My wife is a Uvm alum and from vt. So I follow them. They play good basketball. He'd be a solid get. Don't know how he'd recruit

I’d prefer that we not limit our search to former assistants and legacies. Better chance our best option falls outside that group than within it.

I mentioned him in the last thread about coaching candidates. No one seemed to be on board with that. My wife is a Uvm alum and from vt. So I follow them. They play good basketball. He'd be a solid get. Don't know how he'd recruit

Recruiting is a significant part of being successful as a P5 coach. Schools like Wake need to consistently pull in guys rated 25-100. The top 25 will end up blue. Wake isn't a blue. The new NBA proposal may change this situation by taking the top recruits directly into the pros following HS. Getting multiple top 100 talent players every year and keeping them on campus is one way to successfully compete with the blues.

I’d prefer that we not limit our search to former assistants and legacies. Better chance our best option falls outside that group than within it.

Let’s make sure we understand your position. We shouldn’t give the job to a former assistant or someone whose father went to Wake—even if they are the best for the job.

There is a lot of basketball left this year to build up or tear down the coaching resume, but DR has managed to create a lot of buzz on this board for a decent candidate, but Miller is really just another possibility with some positives and negatives among many potential candidates.
This is just where we disagree and where Wellman screwed up with Manning. A couple Tulsa players got hot and “on paper” Manning was a great hire? No way. What you are saying is that if Francis Alonso throws the Spartans on his back, hits critical 3s and the G goes 16-2 and wins in Asheville, that now its ok to hire him??

The reason we want Wes is we have actually watched him for 20 years.

He is:
1) Competitive as heck
2) Very smart (knows the rules too—unlike Dopey)
3) Outworks everybody. All basketball all the time. Works the European YouTube videos for recruiting 365.
4) Classy
5) Loves the ACC and the ACC tournament from his youth as a Wake fan
6) Loyal as hell, and unlike some “on paper” hire who has accomplished things at Oregon State. If Wes wins here—he’s staying.

If hiring a coach was all about the past, we’d hire Bobby Knight. It’s not. It’s what you will accomplish from 2020-2050. This isn’t a hard decision. We know who will have a long and successful career in the ACC. It will be Miller.

giphy.gif

Let’s make sure we understand your position. We shouldn’t give the job to a former assistant or someone whose father went to Wake—even if they are the best for the job.

You don’t understand his position.

Recruiting is a significant part of being successful as a P5 coach. Schools like Wake need to consistently pull in guys rated 25-100. The top 25 will end up blue. Wake isn't a blue. The new NBA proposal may change this situation by taking the top recruits directly into the pros following HS. Getting multiple top 100 talent players every year and keeping them on campus is one way to successfully compete with the blues.

I understand the challenges of coaching P5 in NC and not being Duke or UNC. All I know is the man can coach basketball. If you can win consistently at Vermont, you can probably figure out a way to win other places. Also, a good set of assistant coaches that can recruit could offset that issue. we've tried the good recruiter angle (with Danny) and it hasn't worked. At some point a coach needs to know X and O and how to motivate. Anyway all I'm saying is Becker is a solid coach and we should at least entertain him as possible IMHO

John Becker may be great. Have no idea, but to be fair, winning at Vermont in the America East is standard operating procedure. Tom Brennan built Vermont into a frequent NCAA participant (they even beat Cuse in the Tourney one year). When Brennan retired, Mike Lonergan had a successful run at VT, including 4 20 win seasons in 6 years; then, when Lonergan took the GW job, Becker continued the winning ways at Vermont. That said, the America East is a very low-end conference as they compete against several schools a the very bottom in D-1 (Maine, New Hampshire, Binghamton). It's a totally different world in the ACC. There are many examples of successful low-end and even-mid major college coaches that just can't get it done at the Power V level (Steve Donahue, Brian Gregory, John Groce, Bill Carmody, Barry Collier, Todd Lickliter, Mark Fox, John Pelphrey, Travis Ford, among others). If it was just as easy as hiring a coach that wins as a low or mid-major, every Power V coach would be successful, but it's not that easy.

In the shape the program is in at this time, we don't have the luxury of taking a big chance. We have to hire someone with some P6 experience.

Back