• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller Watch 2018-2019

Now Now we had this conversation several times through the years (over a decade actually). I thought we agreed that you can disagree with me and argue that Wes Miller would not be a good choice but you absolutely could not question that I said it.

I was a pompous ass about it 10 years ago and 5 years ago. And the reason was so no one could ever say I didn’t say it. Said it then saying it now. Miller is the #1 guy for Wake job.

I never want to hire the most qualified guy for whatever job I have. I want the one who is going to do it the best and cheapest. That was Miller in 2010. And 2015.

I said it publicly. Screamed it actually. Disagree if you want on whether he was the best candidate. But you can’t question whether I was saying it.

Now Now we had this conversation several times through the years (over a decade actually). I thought we agreed that you can disagree with me and argue that Wes Miller would not be a good choice but you absolutely could not question that I said it.

I was a pompous ass about it 10 years ago and 5 years ago. And the reason was so no one could ever say I didn’t say it. Said it then saying it now. Miller is the #1 guy for Wake job.

I never want to hire the most qualified guy for whatever job I have. I want the one who is going to do it the best and cheapest. That was Miller in 2010. And 2015.

I said it publicly. Screamed it actually. Disagree if you want on whether he was the best candidate. But you can’t question whether I was saying it.

Oh we agree you said it. We also agree that it was an indefensibly ridiculous proposition at the time.

I want the one who is going to do it the best and cheapest.

You want the one you know personally. You just got lucky he actually turned into a good coach this time. The next time you vouch for a friend, you probably won't be so fortunate

Remember 2 years ago when DR proclaimed that Miller would get the LSU job? Or last year when he proclaimed Miller would get hired by some school that was equal or better than Wake?

Yet here he is, still coaching at UNCG. Strange that none of the real go-getter (you know, the ones that go to the games, unlike Wellman), haven't scooped him up yet.

If we have to hire Miller because we can't afford to hire anybody else, ok. Maybe he will be moderately better than Manning. But he will still suck.

You want the one you know personally. You just got lucky he actually turned into a good coach this time. The next time you vouch for a friend, you probably won't be so fortunate

Of course you do. In any business, you want to interact with as many folks as possible. When years show you that you the right guy, you double down on him.

You damn sure don’t look at box scores and not watch video of Tulsa games for instance when hiring a b-ball coach which is exactly what Wellman did hiring Manning.

Remember 2 years ago when DR proclaimed that Miller would get the LSU job? Or last year when he proclaimed Miller would get hired by some school that was equal or better than Wake?

Yet here he is, still coaching at UNCG. Strange that none of the real go-getter (you know, the ones that go to the games, unlike Wellman), haven't scooped him up yet.

If we have to hire Miller because we can't afford to hire anybody else, ok. Maybe he will be moderately better than Manning. But he will still suck.

He might suck, but generally speaking, every coach* you hire sucks or ends up sucking. Why not hire a young, smart guy to take the job. If you get it right, you are in great shape. If you get it wrong, you are probably just about where you would have been hiring a retread anyways.

For me, I do not care as much if it is Miller specifically, but I would like a guy like that and would have liked a guy like that in 2010 and 2015.

*I should say, most every coach does not work out eventually. Which is why it is worth gambling, IMO.

Last edited:
UNCG hanging with Kentucky on the road. Miller much better coach than Manning.

UNCG actually switches defenses, applies ball pressure. They don’t just play shot clock defense.

He might suck, but generally speaking, every coach* you hire sucks or ends up sucking. Why not hire a young, smart guy to take the job. If you get it right, you are in great shape. If you get it wrong, you are probably just about where you would have been hiring a retread anyways.

For me, I do not care as much if it is Miller specifically, but I would like a guy like that and would have liked a guy like that in 2010 and 2015.

*I should say, most every coach does not work out eventually. Which is why it is worth gambling, IMO.

We gambled on a relatively unproven Manning. Fine. But you got to know when to hold em and know when to fold em. Wellman doesn’t fold, instead he pushes in 18 million chips.

i know it's hypothetical. i know it's not all relative.

BUT

any of you actually think wake would be up three on UK at Rupp right now? does UNCG have that much more talent than wake or could it be coaching?

BUT

any of you actually think wake would be up three on UK at Rupp right now? does UNCG have that much more talent than wake or could it be coaching?

uncg unquestionably has better players than we do

BUT

No, No, Hell Yes

too late on miller anyhow. should have done it last year. miller's stock is rising so fast, wake can't afford him now (not just monetarily but prestige wise)

too late on miller anyhow. should have done it last year. miller's stock is rising so fast, wake can't afford him now (not just monetarily but prestige wise)

I don’t think I agree with this. Wake is a huge step up from UNCG, and can be a lifetime job. I know we suck right now, but things change quickly.

Back