• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller Watch 2018-2019

I disagree that an established coach would shy away from Wake Forest.

I know the topic has been discussed here at length in the past, but there is a window in the ACC (that we are at risk of missing) where K, Roy, and Boeheim are on their way out... There is an opportunity for other programs to fill the vacuum. Pitino leaving Louisville was part of this window, as well, but they hit a home run in hiring Chris Mack and should be able to continue as an elite program (barring potential sanctions).

This isn't football, where a small private school like Wake Forest has inherent disadvantages. Investments have been made into the basketball facilities. We play in the top conference. We have a history with periods of success (though more in the rear view every day).

I think most coaches would at least listen if Wake Forest showed interest.

I just can't see a coach that preaches defense in this day and age succeeding. Everyone wants to shoot 3's and its encouraged by most coaches as the game is all about spacing. K is even up front about it in that if you can't make a 3, don't even consider Duke.

Wake ought to look at the guy coaching Furman.

I don't see how shooting more 3s and playing defense are mutually exclusive.

I disagree that an established coach would shy away from Wake Forest.

I know the topic has been discussed here at length in the past, but there is a window in the ACC (that we are at risk of missing) where K, Roy, and Boeheim are on their way out... There is an opportunity for other programs to fill the vacuum. Pitino leaving Louisville was part of this window, as well, but they hit a home run in hiring Chris Mack and should be able to continue as an elite program (barring potential sanctions).

This isn't football, where a small private school like Wake Forest has inherent disadvantages. Investments have been made into the basketball facilities. We play in the top conference. We have a history with periods of success (though more in the rear view every day).

I think most coaches would at least listen if Wake Forest showed interest.

TITCR

Maybe someone who knows the stats better than me can look it up. But in the games I've watched from UVM they play solid D and are a solid long range shooting team. They also don't turn the ball over much. Anyway, I doubt John Becker is an option but I like watching UVM play

Posted this in one of the DM threads but Honest question that I am sure has been discussed ad nauseam, did wake consider interviewing or interview Chris Mack after skip's untimely death? If not, that will go down as one of our bigger blunders in a mound of blunders this athletic department has had since that time.

I don't know what Wellman did in response, but I do know that Mit Shah openly advocated for Chris Mack during that search.

Wake Forest is currently in the bottom 3% of all NCAA D1 teams in half-court defensive efficiency. They give up just under 1 point per possession.

Well put. My sentiment too.

The current rules put a premium on threes. So offenses have evolved to mostly threes and layups/dunks. Guys who can make threes on offense are really sought after.

That doesn't mean defense isn't important. Keeping the other team from scoring is important too. Otherwise there are games like the Wake loss to HBU. Wake scored enough to win, but couldn't (or didn't) play enough good defense to keep HBU from scoring more points and winning.

Wake Forest is currently in the bottom 3% of all NCAA D1 teams in half-court defensive efficiency. They give up just under 1 point per possession.

WF is particularly awful at defending the 3 (#299 38%). Scary considering that, outside of St. Joe, WF has not played a schedule full of great shooting teams... yet.

I’m going to start a thread tomorrow of a “watch” for a few possible coaching candidates with weekly/biweekly updates on games, kenpom stats, and other news (recruiting, etc.).

Pat Kelsey
Earl Grant
Nate Oats
Wes Miller

Any others I should include?

Ryan Odom- great record but only 3 years as a head coach. If he puts together another conference title and NCAA run he certainly would warrant consideration.
Steve Forbes (ETSU)- guy may not be an option due to Bruce Pearl ties, but also has Gregg Marshall ties. 204-62 as a head coach and only 53. Has both recruited at a high level (SEC) as an assistant and proven to be an ultra-successful head coach. Not sure why he isn't getting mentioned anywhere. His record is ridiculous.

I don't know what Wellman did in response, but I do know that Mit Shah openly advocated for Chris Mack during that search.

Unless we were prepared to offer him L'ville money, we weren't getting Mack at that time. Why would he leave an equal job for a raise that he could have gotten from Xavier?

The BE is a power conference in basketball.

Yeah, come on people. We didn't start our search by going after Manning. We got turned down by a bunch of candidates, Mike White included. That doesn't mean we can't get a proven coach (Buzz Wiliams took the VT job, but it's probaly unlikely, with a lot of it coming down to being in the right time and place.

Unless we were prepared to offer him L'ville money, we weren't getting Mack at that time. Why would he leave an equal job for a raise that he could have gotten from Xavier?

The BE is a power conference in basketball.
I don't follow. Mack was still an assistant at Xavier when Skip passed away. And Xavier was in the Atlantic 10 in 2007.

What is the next contract going to be? Because Danny is still on the payroll for 5 more basketball seasons after this one, I think big name-big money coaches are out. For an up and coming coach is 4 years for $8 million good? 5 years for $9 million? Will have to make the right hire because Wake Forest can't afford 3 head coaches on the payroll and Danny will be collecting checks until 2025.

I have no problem with taking a successful mid-major HC. However, that person would need to have some P6 experience as an assistant. We don't have the luxury of time for on the job training now.

What is the next contract going to be? Because Danny is still on the payroll for 5 more basketball seasons after this one, I think big name-big money coaches are out. For an up and coming coach is 4 years for $8 million good? 5 years for $9 million? Will have to make the right hire because Wake Forest can't afford 3 head coaches on the payroll and Danny will be collecting checks until 2025.

If there isn't a buyout in Danny'd contract, Wellman is more of an arrogant fool than we believe him to be...and that would be difficult to believe.

Keatts got $2.2M. We will most likely have to pay more for a decent coach.

Ryan Odom- great record but only 3 years as a head coach. If he puts together another conference title and NCAA run he certainly would warrant consideration.
Steve Forbes (ETSU)- guy may not be an option due to Bruce Pearl ties, but also has Gregg Marshall ties. 204-62 as a head coach and only 53. Has both recruited at a high level (SEC) as an assistant and proven to be an ultra-successful head coach. Not sure why he isn't getting mentioned anywhere. His record is ridiculous.

I'll add them on the list this afternoon. I'll also add Thad Matta's time at OSU as well.

I don't follow. Mack was still an assistant at Xavier when Skip passed away. And Xavier was in the Atlantic 10 in 2007.

This. I am talking about when Skip passed and it was given to Dino.

I was talking about Mack vs. Manning...

Back