• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller Watch 2018-2019

It’s easy to hindsight both hires on paper—Bz more so then Manning who at least had the Kansas pedigree. The common trait of failure is that neither was a leader, or motivator of young men, and both are poor communicators .

Keatts at State is the opposite personality of our last two hires. What stands out is his ability to get his kids to play hard and together —and he appears to communicate well with the fan base , media , and recruits. I’m not sure how good an on court coach he really is(defense looked pretty bad the last two games), but he will likely be successful.

I know Bz and Manning suck, but Bob Wade is still the worst hire in ACC history. HE was a freakin' high school coach and an ACC team hired him! He then proceeded to suck (7-35 ACC record) and left the team on probation when he was fired and had a 5 year show cause order for lying to the NCAA. Now that was a bad hire.

There was a lot of consensus around Mike White being a safe/great hire/up and comer. So much consensus that he didn't have to take the Wake job and held out for Florida. It's not as easy as people think here. Manning and Bzz likely weren't our first choices.

I'm hoping Nate Oats is interested but he is looking like a Mike White trajectory.

[Redacted] was the first and only choice.

Bob Wade says hi...

That’s 90’s orthodoxy. Manning would have to win 5 games to reach Wade’s overall winning percentage (.419).

Manning has a better ACC record but Wade coached in a much stronger ACC.

excuse me for drawing my comparison from the Golden Age of ACC Basketball, Doc.

That’s 90’s orthodoxy. Manning would have to win 5 games to reach Wade’s overall winning percentage (.419).

Manning has a better ACC record but Wade coached in a much stronger ACC.

No problem. It’s understandably hard to believe that we hired two coaches with a worse record than Bob Wade.

One thing I did learn by looking this up is Bob Wade played three seasons at DB in the NFL.

Don't state things matter-of-factly unless you have first-hand documented evidence of that being the case.

besides, unless he is now referring to Manning as [name redacted], he's mixing our horrible hires (understandable)

Bz was most definitely not the first and only choice when Mike White would have logically been under consideration; when Bz was hired, Mike White had no head coaching experience anywhere

and there have been several who have posted over the years that Bz was not the first and only choice

We can get a lot of coaches to wake for the right money. My educated guess is that Wellman tried to Nickle and Dime past coaching candidates to show that his overbloated salary is worth it to wake Forest. Good ADs realize that the caliparis are worth millions because they make so much more additional revenue by creating a winning culture. We really need a coach who has shown he can go into a bad situation and rebuild. Bzdick didn't rebuild anything at air Force and his best season at Colorado was .500. Manning definitely had an improvement from year one to year two at Tulsa but most those kids were the previous coach's recruits. My guess is tulsa would have started to skid under Manning if he would have stayed.

Don't state things matter-of-factly unless you have first-hand documented evidence of that being the case.

I offer no proof, but the timeline seems to indicate he was damn near the top. Dino was fired in what was described at the time as a "hastily drawn news conference" on April 7th and [name redacted] was leaked as the front runner in the middle of the night on the 9th/10th, and officially announced on the 14th after he made his way to Winston. If anything, it sounds possible that Wellman could have reached out to [name redacted], found he was interested and then made the decision to fire Gaudio.

I'm sure others could have been contacted in that time, possibly by concerned folks in the AD or boosters, or just as a matter of due diligence. But Wellman was the only person with [name redacted] on his list...if [name redacted] wasn't at the top or damn near it, it makes zero sense that he was finalizing negotiations two days after Gaudio was fired.

Last edited:

That thread is a treasure trove of terrible takes (and some good ones). I just spent a solid 30 minutes reading some of it.

The two biggest takeaways, for me, were:
Folks were REALLY glad that we went with Manning instead of Wojo. Who would you rather have now? Seems like a no contest.
RJ hated Mike White because he hadn't done anything (never made the NCAAs), and thought it was a no brainer to take Manning over White. Again, how does that look now?

Tons more to go back to, but I think I'm the only person that likes to actually go back and see how wrong some posters are. We're all guilty of terrible takes, I'm sure... It's just funny how forcefully some people push terrible takes.

I also mentioned that White wasn't going coach against his dad, but just use what you need. There's no sense in telling the entire story if it doesn't work for you.

I offer no proof, but the timeline seems to indicate he was damn near the top. Dino was fired in what was described at the time as a "hastily drawn news conference" on April 7th and [name redacted] was leaked as the front runner in the middle of the night on the 9th/10th, and officially announced on the 14th after he made his way to Winston. If anything, it sounds possible that Wellman could have reached out to [name redacted], found he was interested and then made the decision to fire Gaudio.

I'm sure others could have been contacted in that time, possibly by concerned folks in the AD or boosters, or just as a matter of due diligence. But Wellman was the only person with [name redacted] on his list...if [name redacted] wasn't at the top or damn near it, it makes zero sense that he was finalizing negotiations two days after Gaudio was fired.

This is some bad ass detective skills right here. You're the board Sherlock and maybe RJ can be your Watson.

I also mentioned that White wasn't going coach against his dad, but just use what you need. There's no sense in telling the entire story if it doesn't work for you.

It is impossible to tell the entire story. You posted so much on that thread that I couldn't possibly go back to it all. It is there for anyone to read.

Here's just one example (of many):

Except he doesn't have a record. He hasn't made The Dance.

If it's between Manning and White, it's a no contest for Manning. Manning has been part of better programs. Manning has recruited better players. Manning i considered one of the best big man's coach in the country. Manning won the conference tourney in White's conference with a team that was projected not to be as good a team.

White was 6.5 games better over his first two regular seasons as a HC than Manning, but didn't make The Dance. In fact LaTech lost to the #9 seed in 2013 and to Manning's Tulsa team in 2014.

If it's Manning or White, past performances and assistant coach positions give it easily to Manning.

It is OK to be wrong. You weren't the only one. You were just the one screaming the loudest (and most often).

I was pretty cool on Howland. Gonna have to review my posts in there and see how wrong I was.

It is impossible to tell the entire story. You posted so much on that thread that I couldn't possibly go back to it all. It is there for anyone to read.

Here's just one example (of many):

It is OK to be wrong. You weren't the only one. You were just the one screaming the loudest (and most often).

But you neither bring anyone else up nor use all the data...only the data that supports your partial problem.

No one bats 1.000, but at least tell the whole story.

But you neither bring anyone else up nor use all the data...only the data that supports your partial problem.

No one bats 1.000, but at least tell the whole story.

It was already pointed out that RSF was a huge Manning guy. Didn't think that was worth mentioning again.

If you do some digging, I'm sure I had some awful takes on that thread. I just probably didn't post them like everyone else was dumb for disagreeing.

Back