• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller Watch 2018-2019

That’s ridiculous. C’mon man.

I was noticing it in KP the other day.

He was like a poor man’s Taggart. Blow it up the first year and improve every year after.

AF:

Colorado:

WFU:

Look, I’m not making the argument. I hate the guy. I’m just saying you could make the argument.

Yeah. No. It’s a reach. Sorry.

Agree that there are guys out there with resumes that would indicate a history of success.

Bz wasn’t can’t miss based on the above.

Do we need a new thread on possible new coaches with Danny's days truly being numbered (he probably has a month and a half left as our coach). I like Wes a lot but there are other young energetic coaches we should look at as well. Wes did win the press conference above though. A young Mike Brey type coach would also be wonderful.

Some morons 2 guard will get hot in February and you morons will want to hire him instead of Wes. Than you will keep bitching for 3 more decades.

HOF Wes has lost over twenty games to ranked teams without without beating a single ranked team. He's also 0-3 against Danny. Houston Baptist beat Danny. Gardner Webb beat Danny, but Wes hasn't.

Sorry, he shouldn't be on the list.

Pretty good 17-3 record for UNCG. Ready to hire Wes Miller any day now as long as he wins the Southern Conference and goes to the NCAA tournament. That would get him into the hirable category for a top tier D1 school.

Pretty good 17-3 record for UNCG. Ready to hire Wes Miller any day now as long as he wins the Southern Conference and goes to the NCAA tournament. That would get him into the hirable category for a top tier D1 school.

SOCON is really good this year. That would be a really good spring board for Miller to win it i'd think. That said, going to be extremely hard for him to top Wofford this season. Already got beat by them by 30....

HOF Wes has lost over twenty games to ranked teams without without beating a single ranked team. He's also 0-3 against Danny. Houston Baptist beat Danny. Gardner Webb beat Danny, but Wes hasn't.

Great point!

[Redacted] beat Skip. Being 0-3 against Danny shouldn't disqualify him.

SOCON is really good this year. That would be a really good spring board for Miller to win it i'd think. That said, going to be extremely hard for him to top Wofford this season. Already got beat by them by 30....

they are very good this year (SOCON that is)

Miller 17-3, Kelsey 12-6 but averaging around 20 wins per year at Winthrop during his tenure. Both got to the Dance as Head coaches. Pretty good resumes from my perspective and better than Dopey when he got hired by MSD. Plus, both are energetic, passionate and young much like our football coach. Oats with a similar background as well.

Last edited:
unfortunately, there aren't a ton of impressive looking candidates from what i can tell beyond oats, unless you want to count guys like chris beard. even earl grant, who i liked a lot, isn't doing much to impress this year. i still think guys like grant, miller and kelsey could be good coaches, but certainly not as sexy as other names.

given that, here are some crazy thoughts. starting off -- ritchie mckay, with decades of mediocrity under his belt, is killing it at liberty. they are having their best season ever and should be even better next year (most of their best players should return). it's possible he's just having a lucky run, but i suspect it has more to do with the six years he spent immediately prior as tony bennett's top assistant at UVA.

now, i wouldn't hire mckay at this point. but i would keep an eye on ron sanchez, who is in his first year at UNCC after being a longtime bennett assistant. while they suck (269th in kenpom, and we whooped them) -- but it does look like they are rapidly getting better (and they were even worse last despite having our boi andrien white and a couple other guys who got kicked off) and sanchez has apparently done a really good job recruiting. point being, it looks possible like he has uncc's dumpster fire headed in the right direction and is someone i'd keep monitoring, even if the idea of hiring a guy who had a losing record in his only year of head coaching seems stupid.

Last edited:
unfortunately, there aren't a ton of impressive looking candidates from what i can tell beyond oats, unless you want to count guys like chris beard. even earl grant, who i liked a lot, isn't doing much to impress this year. i still think guys like grant, miller and kelsey could be good coaches, but certainly not as sexy as other names.

given that, here are some crazy thoughts. starting off -- ritchie mckay, with decades of mediocrity under his belt, is killing it at liberty. they are having their best season ever and should be even better next year (most of their best players should return). it's possible he's just having a lucky run, but i suspect it has more to do with the six years he spent immediately prior as tony bennett's top assistant at UVA.

now, i wouldn't hire mckay at this point. but i would keep an eye on ron sanchez, who is in his first year at UNCC after being a longtime bennett assistant. while they suck (269th in kenpom, and we whooped them) -- but it does look like they are rapidly getting better (and they were even worse last despite having our boi andrien white and a couple other guys who got kicked off) and sanchez has apparently done a really good job recruiting. point being, it looks possible like he has uncc's dumpster fire headed in the right direction and is someone i'd keep monitoring.

that said, ritchie mckay sounds like the exact type of guy wellman might hire at this point

^my real point is that, looking over the several decades, hiring an assistant coach who's learned from an elite head coach has had a higher rate of success that a midmajor coach without an elite track record. oats has an elite track record; grant, miller and kelsey do not.

[name redacted] beat Skip. Being 0-3 against Danny shouldn't disqualify him.

One game versus three...anyone can win one game against a much better team...well anyone other than HOF Wes who has lost nearly two dozen games against ranked teams AND three straight to Danny.

P.S. In Wake Forest fan's mind, being 0-24 (or more) against Top 25 teams and Danny Manning teams is good enough qualify to be a P6 HC. Talk about being insane.

Last edited:
While Wes is undoubtedly better than Danny, since he is alive, this strikes me as a Filene's bargain basement hire. Surely we can do better.

Back