• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller Watch 2018-2019

I see Wes Miller staying put and replacing Roy in a few years after he wins a couple more conf titles.

The last coach hired with no UNC specific coaching experience was Frank McGuire in 1952. This would disqualify Wes at UNC.

A jump straight from UNCG to UNC? Yeah, I don't see that happening

What he doesn't tell you about K's first Duke team is that he was left THREE NBA players (Gene Banks, Vince Taylor and Kenny Dennard). Also, before K got to Duke, the men's team was Top 5-10 in historic wins.

It's not like K built anything from scratch. He's been great, but it's not like Duke wasn't a top program before he arrived.

Yeah, he's been great but nothing too special. They didn't even have a natty before he got there having only played for the title twice since like 1965 or something. Now its a big deal if they DON'T play for it.

Great but not this best ever....

Really, everyone said I was completely insane for saying hire Miller 10 years ago. Than they said I was completely crazy for saying hire him 5 years ago. Know what Wes is doing right now? Watching tape. Getting ready for Kentucky like he can win in Rupp. Know what Ron and Danny are doing right now? Nothing.

I would have signed Wes to a 10 year deal at 150k/year. But you chose Wellman to lead you. The BOT tells me no one has complained. Never heard the arena was a problem. That’s what they say. Nice work folks.

Really, everyone said I was completely insane for saying hire Miller 10 years ago. Than they said I was completely crazy for saying hire him 5 years ago. Know what Wes is doing right now? Watching tape. Getting ready for Kentucky like he can win in Rupp. Know what Ron and Danny are doing right now? Nothing.

I would have signed Wes to a 10 year deal at 150k/year. But you chose Wellman to lead you. The BOT tells me no one has complained. Never heard the arena was a problem. That’s what they say. Nice work folks.

Nobody here chose Wellman. Constantly blaming people here for something on which they had no input is almost as crazy as trying to hire a kid to be HC in the ACC as his first job.

Proposing hiring a 25/26 yo, with no HC experience, no P6 experience was batshit crazy. He was 60-93 in his first five years against bullshit competition. He wouldn't be our coach today. He would have been fired years ago under your plan.

Yes, you were completely insane.

Yeah, he's been great but nothing too special. They didn't even have a natty before he got there having only played for the title twice since like 1965 or something. Now its a big deal if they DON'T play for it.

Great but not this best ever....

Your post has nothing to do with what DR posted nor my response.

Nepotism is an even worse plan than whatever Ron's is

Nobody here chose Wellman. Constantly blaming people here for something on which they had no input is almost as crazy as trying to hire a kid to be HC in the ACC as his first job.

Proposing hiring a 25/26 yo, with no HC experience, no P6 experience was batshit crazy. He was 60-93 in his first five years against bullshit competition. He wouldn't be our coach today. He would have been fired years ago under your plan.

Yes, you were completely insane.

Can you please send me all written complaints you have to BOT members about Wellman over the last 20 years? You have none. You are at fault.

Your presumption that Miller would not have gotten better players to an ACC school than UNCG is silly. The reality here is I took a stand and publicly identified the next Bob Knight. I said if we didn’t act then we would end up in some entangled contractual situation which meant we would miss him. You and others here laughed. Instead, we outright wasted a decade. We are about to waste another one.

Instead of saying “wow, that’s amazing how you did that” your answer is “it wouldn’t have worked anyway and we aren’t in charge of our school so shut up.” Insane

I want no part of the next Bob Knight. Talk about shitty people. I’d rather lose than have him at the helm.

I want no part of the next Bob Knight. Talk about shitty people. I’d rather lose than have him at the helm.

Congrats. We are.

The reality is now everyone is begging for Miller and now we can’t get him and probably won’t ever be able to thanks to your F up. If you all had joined me in my effort, we could have.

Too late. Hope you all can fix your lives and businesses going forward. Because you have been horrible stewards of Wake Forest basketball. The results are apparent.

Congrats. We are.

The reality is now everyone is begging for Miller and now we can’t get him and probably won’t ever be able to thanks to your F up. If you all had joined me in my effort, we could have.

Too late. Hope you all can fix your lives and businesses going forward. Because you have been horrible stewards of Wake Forest basketball. The results are apparent.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t hire Miller. I just hope for everyone’s sake, he’s a better person than the white haired walking smegma that is Robert Montgomery Knight.

Took us ten years to get rid of AD Gene Hooks. We are right on schedule.

Holy shit DR is the worst.

Just because we've been bad for 10 years doesn't mean your cronyism hire would've been a good one. RJ is right. Wes would've been fired before he got the chance to build anything here.

It took him SIX years at UNCG to climb into the top 200, and seven to climb into the top 100. I really do think he's going to be a good basketball coach but saying hiring him 10 years would've been a great move is a ridiculous take.

Nepotism is an even worse plan than whatever Ron's is

We've got plenty of that between Big Chill/Little Chill, Chill/Rusty as coaches, and Manning hiring and promoting his own son within his staff.

Can you please send me all written complaints you have to BOT members about Wellman over the last 20 years? You have none. You are at fault.

Your presumption that Miller would not have gotten better players to an ACC school than UNCG is silly. The reality here is I took a stand and publicly identified the next Bob Knight. I said if we didn’t act then we would end up in some entangled contractual situation which meant we would miss him. You and others here laughed. Instead, we outright wasted a decade. We are about to waste another one.

Instead of saying “wow, that’s amazing how you did that” your answer is “it wouldn’t have worked anyway and we aren’t in charge of our school so shut up.” Insane

Well, there are threads about my correspondence with Wellman and Hatch. I have also sent emails to members of the BOT. So, this part of your rant is total bullshit.

My "presumption" is the reality that I can't think of a single P6 school in the past 50+ years who EVER hired a person under 30 who had ZERO coaching experience. I'm not saying head coaching. I said coaching.

Show me ANY P6 HC, who was Wes' age and had ZERO coaching experience before being made a HS in a P6 conference.

Wes had ZERO coaching experience on any level ten years ago. His first job as an assistant was in 08-09 at Elon.

You brought up Bob Knight. Before becoming HC at Army (hardly a power conference team), he had been an assistant at a HS and an assistant at Army. Thus, your using him as an example is totally full of shit. Wes had NO experience of ANY kind when you said he should be our HC.

Your position is akin to putting the third grade champ in the game of Operation in charge of your kidney transplant.

You also brush off his five years of failure at UNC-G. If he was unable to succeed there, he would have been eaten alive at Wake over the same period. He was coaching against second tier coaches. He would have been coaching against Hall of Famers and other coaches who had been very successful on the level Wes didn't compete on for five years.

Even with the absolutely insane concept that Wake would ever hire a coach with ZERO experience, you are also assuming that after five years of abject failure he would have kept on the job.

On every level, your premise is riddled with insurmountable issues.

I'll be happy to say I was wrong when you show me a 25 yo getting a HC job at a P6 team with ZERO coaching experience on any level in the past 50 years.

Holy shit DR is the worst.

Just because we've been bad for 10 years doesn't mean your cronyism hire would've been a good one. RJ is right. Wes would've been fired before he got the chance to build anything here.

It took him SIX years at UNCG to climb into the top 200, and seven to climb into the top 100. I really do think he's going to be a good basketball coach but saying hiring him 10 years would've been a great move is a ridiculous take.

Hiring him at Wake 10 years ago would have ruined his career.

Well, there are threads about my correspondence with Wellman and Hatch. I have also sent emails to members of the BOT. So, this part of your rant is total bullshit.

My "presumption" is the reality that I can't think of a single P6 school in the past 50+ years who EVER hired a person under 30 who had ZERO coaching experience. I'm not saying head coaching. I said coaching.

Show me ANY P6 HC, who was Wes' age and had ZERO coaching experience before being made a HC in a P6 conference.

Wes had ZERO coaching experience on any level ten years ago. His first job as an assistant was in 08-09 at Elon.

You brought up Bob Knight. Before becoming HC at Army (hardly a power conference team), he had been an assistant at a HS and an assistant at Army. Thus, your using him as an example is totally full of shit. Wes had NO experience of ANY kind when you said he should be our HC.

Your position is akin to putting the third grade champ in the game of Operation in charge of your kidney transplant.

You also brush off his five years of failure at UNC-G. If he was unable to succeed there, he would have been eaten alive at Wake over the same period. He was coaching against second tier coaches. He would have been coaching against Hall of Famers and other coaches who had been very successful on the level Wes didn't compete on for five years.

Even with the absolutely insane concept that Wake would ever hire a coach with ZERO experience, you are also assuming that after five years of abject failure he would have kept on the job.

On every level, your premise is riddled with insurmountable issues.

I'll be happy to say I was wrong when you show me a 25 yo getting a HC job at a P6 team with ZERO coaching experience on any level in the past 50 years.

I fixed a typo because it wouldn't let me edit.

Back