• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller Watch 2018-2019

buckets

#1 Bald Hero
Reaction score
Pulling for Wake to hire Wes Miller after Danny is fired this spring

His UNCG Spartans are off to a fast 6-1 start (soon to be 7-1 later tonight) with their only loss being a 6-pt loss @ surprise upstart LSU

UNCG started the season ranked 93 by Kenpom (versus Wake @ 94) and now find themselves ranked 66 (versus Wake at 127) - could coaching be the difference here???

Big game on Saturday 12/1 @ #10 Kentucky

Get em Wes!

wesmiller-33748-F.jpg

Francis Alonso is an amazing college player. He would be an extra bonus as a graduate transfer if we are smart enough to land Wes. They are really, really good. So is Furman.

Alonso is a baller, but he won’t have any eligibility left to play a 5th year. He scored 31 last year when they got beat by Manning’s Deacs.

biggest question mark with miller’s track record (which is good) is that all of his success has come with alonso leading the team. wish we had a chance to see how well the team does next year once he graduates.

I’m going to start a thread tomorrow of a “watch” for a few possible coaching candidates with weekly/biweekly updates on games, kenpom stats, and other news (recruiting, etc.).

Pat Kelsey
Earl Grant
Nate Oats
Wes Miller

Any others I should include?

I’m going to start a thread tomorrow of a “watch” for a few possible coaching candidates with weekly/biweekly updates on games, kenpom stats, and other news (recruiting, etc.).

Pat Kelsey
Earl Grant
Nate Oats
Wes Miller

A webcam of Thad Matta sitting on his couch?

Pat Kelsey
Earl Grant
Nate Oats
Wes Miller

Brian Wardle

Wake should go after Pete Bell. He did great for the Western University Dolphins

Interesting, hadn’t thought of him. I can add him in if you’d like.

He has an interesting profile. He has been a head coach for 9 years but is only 39. His teams have gotten better pretty much every year. At Bradley, his first team was 323rd in Kenpom, right now they stand at 102nd with wins over SMU and Penn State. He has also recruited at a big time program (Marquette under Crean). The big con is he hasn't broken through to the tournament yet, and he has only worked in the midwest.

Ron Cottrell. Already proven this season that he can win in our off campus arena.

He has an interesting profile. He has been a head coach for 9 years but is only 39. His teams have gotten better pretty much every year. At Bradley, his first team was 323rd in Kenpom, right now they stand at 102nd with wins over SMU and Penn State. He has also recruited at a big time program (Marquette under Crean). The big con is he hasn't broken through to the tournament yet, and he has only worked in the midwest.

I’ll add him in there.

I checked Bradley’s Kenpom after you mentioned him and was impressed.

Um, no. Not just to him but most on these lists.
Thad Matta is your first call.
Kick tires on Matt Painter, Dana Altman, and Ben Howland.

Watching the N.C. State score really drives home how much keeping manning cost us.

Thad Matt’s yeah.

Matt Painter and Dana Altman, besides the fact of “why would they leave Purdue and Oregon to come to wake forest”, are making more than Danny is currently. By a significant margin.

Earl grant and Nate Oats would both be good hires imo.

Not unless there is a Brinks truck full of cash.

It's time to go young and cheap.

^^ yup.

I’d include assistants and associate head coaches but tracking team success for them is not necessarily as meaningful as head coaches.

Earl Grant has been an assistant for both Wichita State and Clemson.

Nate Oats’ coaching history is weird but has been successful and consistently improved every year at Buffalo in his four years.

Back