• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller Watch 2018-2019

besides, unless he is now referring to Manning as [name redacted], he's mixing our horrible hires (understandable)

Bz was most definitely not the first and only choice when Mike White would have logically been under consideration; when Bz was hired, Mike White had no head coaching experience anywhere

and there have been several who have posted over the years that Bz was not the first and only choice

And many other posters and #sauces over the years that strongly suggested [Redacted] was the man Wellman wanted, and got.

Random thought: I was under the impression that Howland had been a stiff at Miss St.

KP of 159 the year before he arrived... His first four years: 78, 88, 64, 24(!)

It's like we picked the only bad choice of Wojo White Howland Miller Smart etc... I know they weren't all real candidates, but they got a lot of discussion on that thread.

I saw Miss St play the other night against South Carolina and was intrigued that Howland was now the Miss St. coach. If I remember, his detractors on this board were worried about a slow style and too much emphasis on 50 point slugfest games. Well, in my sample of one game, Miss ST has a bunch of racehorses that fly up and down the court and 4 out of 5 starters are money from 3 point range. South Carolina pulled off the upset in OT in a wildly entertaining game, but Miss St is ranked 14th in the nation and they looked NOTHING like the board worried that a Howland team would look like.

This is some bad ass detective skills right here. You're the board Sherlock and maybe RJ can be your Watson.
Lol, Google "Gaudio Fired" and "[Redacted] hired Wake Forest" and click a few articles...1 minute max.

presumably nate oats will be one of the hottest names in the coaching carousel and as a result, i don't think will be within our reach

I offer no proof, but the timeline seems to indicate he was damn near the top. Dino was fired in what was described at the time as a "hastily drawn news conference" on April 7th and [name redacted] was leaked as the front runner in the middle of the night on the 9th/10th, and officially announced on the 14th after he made his way to Winston. If anything, it sounds possible that Wellman could have reached out to [name redacted], found he was interested and then made the decision to fire Gaudio.

I'm sure others could have been contacted in that time, possibly by concerned folks in the AD or boosters, or just as a matter of due diligence. But Wellman was the only person with [name redacted] on his list...if [name redacted] wasn't at the top or damn near it, it makes zero sense that he was finalizing negotiations two days after Gaudio was fired.

Pretty sure it took considerably longer to hire Manning and Clawson. Obviously the postseason was still going on after [Redacted] and Grobe resigned but it was still a much longer process.

i thought i remember the feeling between fire and hire for buzz feeling weirdly long and the everyone being liek "uh, was he 25th on the list or what?"

is the adidas trial officially a huge stinking pile of nothing? because some folks in addition to Pitino deserve to get fired over all of that

The tapes implicating head coaches won't be made public until April. If they lead to people being fired it will be mid-April, presumably after schools like UCLA and Wake Forest have already made their hires.

Like, almost any other job in America.

Pretty bad take. Wake Forest plays in the #1 conference, has brand new top of the line facilities thanks to Shah and CP3, has a history of players going on to have NBA success, is in a state with an abundance of basketball players to recruit year in and year out, gets national TV exposure when ranked, and has a good program history prior to this decade. Most schools cannot match all that.

At this point, not sure what separates us from Depaul or Rutgers as a job. Good conference, a decade of shit results.

Pretty bad take. Wake Forest plays in the #1 conference, has brand new top of the line facilities thanks to Shah and CP3, has a history of players going on to have NBA success, is in a state with an abundance of basketball players to recruit year in and year out, gets national TV exposure when ranked, and has a good program history prior to this decade. Most schools cannot match all that.

Does all that come out on top when weighed against Ron Wellman?

Back