Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728

Thread: Wes Miller Watch 2018-2019

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    I agree. I'd guess Hopkins is kicking himself for not waiting another year. He'd have been almost a lock had he done so, but taking the UW job was the right move.

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacsATS View Post
    Everything I read about him screams "Big Ten Lifer", but agree that he has a solid resume.
    Thatís my take from Pilchís profile too. But we should definitely consider him. So what if he could bolt for a Big Ten job? Wake coaches generally donít do that and even if they do, we can just hire another one.

Quote Originally Posted by netflixnchildres View Post
    Yeah, somehow I think Syracuse lures him back when Boeheim retires. He just landed top 5 recruit Isaiah Stewart 2 days ago over Duke, Kentucky, and Michigan State. Now Hopkins is also considered the favorite to land fellow top 10 player Jaden McDaniels. He will have Washington competing for the Pac 12 championship next year. Syracuse will back up the brinks truck to bring him back, he was always their top recruiter and Boeheim's top student of the 2-3 zone.
    Washington is undefeated in the Pac-12. He has them competing for a conference title this year.

I'm not sure I'd leave Washington for Syracuse TBH, especially if I'm already proving I can pull in top 10 recruits there. Unless 'cuse can just pay a lot more b/c of all the attendance revenue and ACC Net $$
    Last edited by wsc8521s; 01-22-2019 at 01:47 PM.

I don't think Hopkins is regretting anything related to his move to Washington.

He is building Washington into a solid, possibly elite program; he has confirmed that he can pull in elite recruits there and expectations there are reasonable. Plus winning in that conference is tit compared to the ACC. Hopkins has found a place where he is loved, and the coach he is being compared to is Lorenzo Romar rather than a legend like Wooden or even Boeheim.

On top of that Seattle is a thousand times better place to live than Syracuse, and the UCLA program has proven to be a coach killer.

Washington has a lot of money and the PAC12 has good TV deals. Add to that, he's a west coast guy.

Quote Originally Posted by wsc8521s View Post
    I'm not sure I'd leave Washington for Syracuse TBH, especially if I'm already proving I can pull in top 10 recruits there. Unless 'cuse can just pay a lot more b/c of all the attendance revenue and ACC Net $$
    IDK Syracuse is nothing to thumb up your nose at:

I've always kinda liked Washington. They were fun as hell to watch when they were good under Romar. Don't think Hopkins' style is as fun, though

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceCrewAllStar View Post
    should look at the Bill Self coaching tree imo
    A branch of the Bill Self coaching tree is coaching Wake now. Not going too well.

Working at a blue blood program doesn't necessarily give one the perspective of squeezing out some wins when you have less talent than the other team.

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    You missed the joke.

Quote Originally Posted by netflixnchildres View Post
    IDK Syracuse is nothing to thumb up your nose at:

I am feeling sick thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    Washington has a lot of money and the PAC12 has good TV deals. Add to that, he's a west coast guy.
    The Pac-12 has the worst TV deal of all the power conferences. Their network isn't even carried by Direct TV. It has cost the conference millions of dollars.

#firelarryscott

THE quintessential dwarf palmab03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IAppreciateIt View Post
    ^my real point is that, looking over the several decades, hiring an assistant coach who's learned from an elite head coach has had a higher rate of success that a midmajor coach without an elite track record. oats has an elite track record; grant, miller and kelsey do not.
    So, someone like Danny Manning?
    just drivin' round in John Voight's car

Quote Originally Posted by palmab03 View Post
    So, someone like Danny Manning?
    I assume he's referring to Associate Head Coaches rather than recruiting/position type assistants, but, to be fair, it's not specified.

Sam "Ace" Rothstein
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerDeac View Post
    I assume he's referring to Associate Head Coaches rather than recruiting/position type assistants, but, to be fair, it's not specified.
    Also, we didn't take Danny Manning directly from Kansas... He was the head coach at Tulsa.

So not really the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by nomadic View Post
    The Pac-12 has the worst TV deal of all the power conferences. Their network isn't even carried by Direct TV. It has cost the conference millions of dollars.

#firelarryscott
    And is it true that most of the conference doesnít even charter flights?

It is true yes.

Quote Originally Posted by TUA01576 View Post
    And is it true that most of the conference doesnít even charter flights?
    Several don't. As recently as 3-4 years ago, even UCLA didn't go charter.

UCLA just spent over $125M to renovate Pauley Pavillion. Oregon gets butt loads of money from Nike and Phil Knight. Stanford spent tens of millions to renovate their football stadium in one off season. USC is spending nine figures to renovate the Coliseum.

They have money but don't seem to spend it.

Quote Originally Posted by tau06 View Post
    It is true yes.
    Itís no wonder the conference sucks .

UC-Boulder should just go back to the Big12.