• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller Watch 2018-2019

In the shape the program is in at this time, we don't have the luxury of taking a big chance. We have to hire someone with some P6 experience.

Could not disagree more with this. [] had power 6 experience; how did that work out? Under that theory, WF wouldn't have offered Brad Stevens 2010-2014, or Shaka Smart in 2013-2016, Mike White in 2016, Kevin Keatts in 2017, Eric Mussleman or Mark Few now. Arguably the two best coaches in college basketball, K and Jay Wright were hired with no Power 6 experience. Limiting the pool of candidates by any criterion (WF connection, personal friendships, race, willingness to keep certain members of the staff on board) is exactly how WF bottomed out. WF needs to cast a wide a net as possible, and make as reasoned and logical decision as it can without some artificial barrier that reduces the number of potential superior candidates.

It's a totally different world than when K was hired.

Few had been on the staff at Gonzaga for a decade before taking over. He had helped build the program. He was the absolutely most natural and traditional pick.

Musselman has NBA pedigree and a lifetime of coaching. Add to that he was an assistant at AZ State (including Associate HC) and Associate HC at LSU. The PAC 12 and SEC are P6 conferences. You are completely wrong about him as well.

Jay Wright had been a top assistant at Nova for five years. That's P6 experience.

You clearly don't know much about Shaka's past. Before becoming HC at VCU, Shaka had been an assistant in the ACC and SEC. Aren't they P6 conferences? Additionally, Shaka had been to a Final Four and multiple, consecutive NCAAs.

You'd almost have to try to be as wrong about as many people as you were in your post.

I'm heading out for a few hours. Maybe you could use the time to learn a bit about what you are posting.

In the shape the program is in at this time, we don't have the luxury of taking a big chance. We have to hire someone with some P6 experience.

I disagree. Because of the state of the program, now is exactly the time to take a big chance. A low-risk P6 coach is not coming here, best we could do going that route is a retread looking for some redemption. Because of where we are, there is little downside to taking a big swing at an up and comer with some energy. Miss and we're not really that worse off than we were before. Hit and we have a solid program with some stability going forward when other top coaches in the league are beginning to retire.

Now RJ is counting experience as an Power 6 assistant, not as a HC.

By that criteria, both of WF's previous failed HC's had P6 experience as Manning was a Power 6 player and an assistant coach, and as stated above, [] had Power 6 experience; how safe were those hires?

There is nothing "safer" about hiring a coach with "Power 6" experience as an assistant than a successful head coach at a mid major. You want to claim that Chill or Steve Woodbury or even Nolan Smith (Duke) or Ron Sanchez (UVA) or Steve Robinson (UNC) is a safer hire because of their Power 6 experience than Mark Few, Gregg Marshall, Bob McKillop (Davidson), Nate Oats (Buffalo) Casey Alexander (Lipscomb) or Kyle Smith (San Francisco)? Don't think so, but under the Power 6 criteria all of those non-Power 6 coaches are excluded.

FWIW, the random Power 6 decree doesn't exclude RJ arch-enemy Wes Miller. He played for three years in a Power 6 program; he even wrote a book entitled "The Road to Blue Heaven" (perhaps a disqualifying decision) about his experience at UNC .

You want to exclude Nate Oats because he didn't serve a year as an assistant at Rutgers 10 years ago? Bad move. He built a program with no tradition, no natural recruiting base, and he will get a Power 6 job. So, under RJ's criterion, in 2010, [] would've been a safer hire than Brad Stevens coming off a NC game appearance? Don't think so.

Other successful Power 6 head coaches with no experience as a Power 6 head or assistant coach when they were hired:

- Chris Holtmann (Ohio State)
- Tim Miles (Nebraska)
- Scott Drew (Baylor)
- Bryce Drew (Vandy)
- Brad Brownell (Clemson)
- John Beilein (WV)
- Steve Prohm (Iowa State)
- Ben Howland (Pitt)
- Jamie Dixon (Pitt)

The larger point is this: WF needs to consider all possible candidates and pick 1. The Power 6 mandate is unnecessarily limiting.

Last edited:
The fact that RJ is so opposed to Miller makes me think there is a greater than 90% chance he would be a home run hire.

Past performance being the best indicator of future results and all.

Throwing this out there - no idea if it is a good fit.

Would Wake look at John Thompson III? Had a decent run at Georgetown - a similar academic school. Last four years were not great - but better than what we have had in the last 10 years.

Would Wake look at John Thompson III? Had a decent run at Georgetown - a similar academic school. Last four years were not great - but better than what we have had in the last 10 years.

Please, God, no. Not great last 4 years but better than we had here is not what we need. Proven winner or young go-getter. We have been through many of NC States wilderness stages. We don't need the Sendek stage.

Now RJ is counting experience as an Power 6 assistant, not as a HC.

By that criteria, both of WF's previous failed HC's had P6 experience as Manning was a Power 6 player and an assistant coach, and as stated above, [] had Power 6 experience; how safe were those hires?

There is nothing "safer" about hiring a coach with "Power 6" experience as an assistant than a successful head coach at a mid major. You want to claim that Chill or Steve Woodbury or even Nolan Smith (Duke) or Ron Sanchez (UVA) or Steve Robinson (UNC) is a safer hire because of their Power 6 experience than Mark Few, Gregg Marshall, Bob McKillop (Davidson), Nate Oats (Buffalo) Casey Alexander (Lipscomb) or Kyle Smith (San Francisco)? Don't think so, but under the Power 6 criteria all of those non-Power 6 coaches are excluded.

FWIW, the random Power 6 decree doesn't exclude RJ arch-enemy Wes Miller. He played for three years in a Power 6 program; he even wrote a book entitled "The Road to Blue Heaven" (perhaps a disqualifying decision) about his experience at UNC .

You want to exclude Nate Oats because he didn't serve a year as an assistant at Rutgers 10 years ago? Bad move. He built a program with no tradition, no natural recruiting base, and he will get a Power 6 job. So, under RJ's criterion, in 2010, [] would've been a safer hire than Brad Stevens coming off a NC game appearance? Don't think so.

Other successful Power 6 head coaches with no experience as a Power 6 head or assistant coach when they were hired:

- Chris Holtmann (Ohio State)
- Tim Miles (Nebraska)
- Scott Drew (Baylor)
- Bryce Drew (Vandy)
- Brad Brownell (Clemson)
- John Beilein (WV)
- Steve Prohm (Iowa State)
- Ben Howland (Pitt)
- Jamie Dixon (Pitt)

The larger point is this: WF needs to consider all possible candidates and pick 1. The Power 6 mandate is unnecessarily limiting.

When busted so obviously, Pilch changes EVERYTHING I have said.

I NEVER said only HC experience. In fact, in other posts, I've specifically talked about being an assistant at P6 schools

As to the statement in bue, AGAIN, Pilch is FOS and trying to put in my mouth and failing. I never said ANYTHING like that and was all in for getting Stevens. It's too bad Wellman was such a cheap shit.

Be a MAN Pilch and admit how wrong you are.

My bad, you can make up anything you want and ascribe it to RJ regardless of how made up or false it may be.

Last edited:

Nah, he's pretty bad

I NEVER said only HC experience. In fact, in other posts, I've specifically talked about being an assistant at P6 schools

As to the statement in bue, AGAIN, Pilch is FOS and trying to put in my mouth and failing. I never said ANYTHING like that and was all in for getting Stevens. It's too bad Wellman was such a cheap shit.

My bad, you can make up anything you want and ascribe it to RJ regardless of how made up or false it may be.

the-usual-suspects.jpg

Pilch is not like that normally. For some reason, he's acting badly today.

is the "Power 6" a real thing in basketball? it is made up for football by AAC teams trying to make themselves feel better about being left out. same reason UCF has a 2017 national championship banner in their football stadium.

is the "Power 6" a real thing in basketball? it is made up for football by AAC teams trying to make themselves feel better about being left out. same reason UCF has a 2017 national championship banner in their football stadium.

It's not AAC. The Big East is #6. With Villanova, Xavier, Butler, Marquette, G'Town and others, they are arguably better than the sixth best conference,

It's not AAC. The Big East is #6. With Villanova, Xavier, Butler, Marquette, G'Town and others, they are arguably better than the sixth best conference,

ahh thanks for clarifying...its annoying in football, and thats coming from an ecu alumn.

This looks like a Drumpf tweet

Back