• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller Watch 2018-2019

LOL at RSF’s boi Steve Masiello. I figured he had moved on somewhere. Nope just 3 straight shit seasons at Manhattan and currently sitting at 3-12 this year.

I wonder if there is some combination of metrics which can be put together to decide what coach would be the safest bet to be successful? My gut tells me Nate Oats, but looking back at the Danny Manning takes it seems the gut takes don't hold as well over time as the analytical ones. I'm guessing it would be a combination of Kenpom like metrics, mixed with recruiting rankings cross-referenced with percentage of recruits who over-performed, transfer in v. transfer out statistics, and overall winning percentage. The tough part is even if all of that came out great for a candidate they still have to fit Wake Forest's "culture" along with who they recruit.

Random thought: I was under the impression that Howland had been a stiff at Miss St.

KP of 159 the year before he arrived... His first four years: 78, 88, 64, 24(!)

It's like we picked the only bad choice of Wojo White Howland Miller Smart etc... I know they weren't all real candidates, but they got a lot of discussion on that thread.

LOL at RSF’s boi Steve Masiello. I figured he had moved on somewhere. Nope just 3 straight shit seasons at Manhattan and currently sitting at 3-12 this year.

Safe to say that I won't put much stock in his opinion on college basketball coaches going forward.

I liked a few of the posts that referred to Masiello as "The Italian Guy", ostensibly because his name is hard to spell?

I wonder if there is some combination of metrics which can be put together to decide what coach would be the safest bet to be successful? My gut tells me Nate Oats, but looking back at the Danny Manning takes it seems the gut takes don't hold as well over time as the analytical ones. I'm guessing it would be a combination of Kenpom like metrics, mixed with recruiting rankings cross-referenced with percentage of recruits who over-performed, transfer in v. transfer out statistics, and overall winning percentage. The tough part is even if all of that came out great for a candidate they still have to fit Wake Forest's "culture" along with who they recruit.

I think metrics are tough to look at by themselves because each program has its own set of factors which would make a coach "successful" there. I think you'd really need to look at rosters of each team over time because even a bad coach can look good with talented enough players (see "Collins, John").

We know Manning very well now because we've watched the disaster unfold from up close... Those with some distance may not see all of the negatives. "Hey! He made the NCAAs one year!"

Just stumbled across a tweet from Jeff Goodman (of Manning buyout fame) from a week or two before Bz was fired (March 2014) where he says that Wake Forest wouldn't be changing coaches if Ron Wellman had any say.

So he's not always right. At least not about Wake Forest.

Just stumbled across a tweet from Jeff Goodman (of Manning buyout fame) from a week or two before Bz was fired (March 2014) where he says that Wake Forest wouldn't be changing coaches if Ron Wellman had any say.

So he's not always right. At least not about Wake Forest.

Are we sure Welman had any say?

It will be interesting to see the direction of UCLA.

I still have trouble believing Manning's contract is totally guaranteed.

If Manning's contract is fully guaranteed, we might as well hunker down for a bit...

This is some bad ass detective skills right here. You're the board Sherlock and maybe RJ can be your Watson.

Seemed like pretty solid analysis. If his dates are correct, how can you argue that BZ was not at the top or very close to the top. 2-3 days from firing to front runner suggest previous contact.

https://watchstadium.com/news/an-ex...ing-changes-in-college-basketball-01-02-2019/

"DePaul, Illinois and Ole Miss are still seeking their first tournament berth after undergoing a midseason coaching change this decade, but the other 14 midseason coaching changes have generally resulted in a hire that leads to a return to the tournament."

Only 18 times in the past 18 years has a Power-5 conference school changed coaches mid-season. Did not know it was that rare, but also it is apparently successful more than half the time.

Random thought: I was under the impression that Howland had been a stiff at Miss St.

KP of 159 the year before he arrived... His first four years: 78, 88, 64, 24(!)

It's like we picked the only bad choice of Wojo White Howland Miller Smart etc... I know they weren't all real candidates, but they got a lot of discussion on that thread.

Wellman is special. If you give him a bushel of apples, he can find the one bad one and eat it.

Back