Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 280

Thread: John Wolford drafted (sort of)

  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by siff View Post
    81% of AAF players have had NFL contracts? Not bad.
    Yes including John Wolford. Theyíre including pre-season contracts where a guy might be under contract for just a few days as John was with the Jets.

  2. #102
    Change thread title to John Wolford MVP Watch

  3. #103
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    99,351
    275 yards, 4 TDs and at least two 2PT (theyíre mandatory). Canít find his comp stats. I know he was 10/20 at the half. He was hot in the 3rd.

  4. #104
    #ClawsIn #ManUp
    AnonymousDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    18,617
    Quote Originally Posted by mebanedeac View Post
    Are there any other former WF players in this league?
    Chris Givens was on Memphis but don't think he made the final cut

  5. #105
    Scott "Rufio" Feather
    WFcatamount22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    5,121
    Just read that you canít blitz more than 5 people, and you canít blitz from a position over 2 yards off the line of scrimmage. Thatís dumb.

  6. #106
    Wolford finished 18-29 for 275 yards. Four TD"s and no interceptions. Only negative was four passes blocked by DL. Arizona won 38-22. Best passing numbers in the league in week one. Wolford ran the RPO with tempo like he did as a senior. He earned the praise of the announcers. Good start.

  7. #107
    That was fun to watch, watching John run an offense that was similar to his time at Wake. Hope he continues to dominate the league and get another look at the NFL.

  8. #108
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    99,351
    He finished 8-9 after starting 10-20.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousDeac View Post
    Chris Givens was on Memphis but don't think he made the final cut
    wow.

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousDeac View Post
    Chris Givens was on Memphis but don't think he made the final cut
    Playing in the state of Tennessee is not easy for him.

  11. #111
    Scott "Rufio" Feather
    siff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Duchy of Cabarrus
    Posts
    17,045
    Quote Originally Posted by deaconbd View Post
    Yes including John Wolford. Theyíre including pre-season contracts where a guy might be under contract for just a few days as John was with the Jets.
    I understand that, but thanks for the clarification anyway.

  12. #112
    Scott "Rufio" Feather
    siff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Duchy of Cabarrus
    Posts
    17,045
    Quote Originally Posted by WFcatamount22 View Post
    Just read that you canít blitz more than 5 people, and you canít blitz from a position over 2 yards off the line of scrimmage. Thatís dumb.
    So are innumerable NFL rules, yet they somehow work.

  13. #113
    Sam "Ace" Rothstein
    DeacsATS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,750
    Quote Originally Posted by WFcatamount22 View Post
    Just read that you canít blitz more than 5 people, and you canít blitz from a position over 2 yards off the line of scrimmage. Thatís dumb.
    They are trying to do two things with this rule, I think:
    1- It is very difficult to put together a capable offensive line from nothing in ~1 month... This gives the offense a chance.
    2- It opens up the game on offense even more by promoting passing over running the football.

    Yeah, I don't like that it limits what the defense can do, but oh well.

  14. #114
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    99,351
    Itís a developmental league. Makes sense to focus on core skills and to do everything possible to avoid injuries.

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacsATS View Post
    They are trying to do two things with this rule, I think:
    1- It is very difficult to put together a capable offensive line from nothing in ~1 month... This gives the offense a chance.
    2- It opens up the game on offense even more by promoting passing over running the football.

    Yeah, I don't like that it limits what the defense can do, but oh well.

    I think I read something that said these O-lines wouldn't stand a chance against exotic blitzes and they didn't want to get the qb killed.

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnydeac View Post
    I think I read something that said these O-lines wouldn't stand a chance against exotic blitzes and they didn't want to get the qb killed.
    Yeah. Simple delayed blitzes from the LBs have been killing the OL in Week 1.

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnydeac View Post
    I think I read something that said these O-lines wouldn't stand a chance against exotic blitzes and they didn't want to get the qb killed.
    This is also the reason for the illegal defensive formation penalties. AZ got a lot of those. Offensive lines on college and NFL teams spend a lot of time learning to coordinate blocks and pickup blitzes. This league didn't have that time available, so they legislated a handicap to the defenses.

    The announcers were praising Wolford for helping out his O-line by being quick on his reads and release. Under 2 seconds from snap to ball out to wide open receiver. Part of why he had gaudy stats in his first game.

  18. #118
    Wonder if these rules will be modified in season 2 when the OL has spent more time together.

    Or do they re-draft every year OR not expect to retain players from year to year?

  19. #119
    NEW MODERAT0R
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    30,083
    Wolford is in line to be the first player inducted into the AAF Hall of Fame !

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    Wolford is in line to be the first player inducted into the AAF Hall of Fame !
    him and Trent Richardson

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •