• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Here's my order (can change during the season):

1. Grant
2. Oats
3. Matta
4. Kelsey
5. Musselman

Always nervous to declare I want a coach that Manning smoked head to head.

Here's my order (can change during the season):

1. Grant
2. Oats
3. Matta
4. Kelsey
5. Musselman

I’d switch grant and Oats and maybe throw Lavall Jordan in over Kelsey. I love Kelsey but his track record isn’t as strong as others.

Also don’t think there’s any chance we legitimately go after Musselman so he’d be off my list.

My Christmas wish is Thad Matta. He could take this team and finish .500 in the ACC this year. That is what top level coaches do. They get the best out of their players. Then they get more than the players thought they had.

Matta's youngest is either a junior or senior in high school. Let's hope she's a senior. Otherwise, forget it.

Last edited:
Matta has health issues. Every Ohio St fan knew this and I question whether he would be a long term viable coach.

My Christmas wish is Thad Matta. He could take this team and finish .500 in the ACC this year. That is what top level coaches do. They get the best out of their players. Then they get more than the players thought they had.

His last 4 seasons at OSU, Matta had 5, 8, 8, and 5 consensus top 100 players on his teams and won as many NCAA tournament games as Dino did. I’d still take him in a heartbeat. Not going to happen though.

Matta has health issues. Every Ohio St fan knew this and I question whether he would be a long term viable coach.

Matta looked like he really aged in his last year at tOSU. Recruiting had dropped off in a major way over his last couple of years, and it looked like he was not (and perhaps not able to) making the effort that he had earlier in his career. Maybe the time off since 2017 has re-energized him and hopefully all his health issues are behind him, but would be wary of WF hiring a coach that can't outwork his competition. To win at WF, coach has to be ready, willing and able to go full throttle. Just not sure which Thad Matta WF would be getting.

I think he had health issues. In a lot of ways, his health issues remind me of Steve Kerr's.

I like Matta a lot in that he recruits well AND he's a good coach. He also hires quality assistants. Believe it or not, he's not 66 years old, he's 51. If his daughter is a senior, I would go after him hard as my #1 choice. He is the one hire that would essentially survive a new AD a few years into his tenure.

A longshot though for sure.

I have a source who got a sneak peak at Wellman’s preliminary list:

1. Brad Stevens.
2. Somebody not mentioned on this thread.
3. Somebody not mentioned on any P6 coaching search thread.
4. Houston Rockets defensive guru.
5. Himself
6. Mit Shah
7. “Manny Danning” (Danny Manning with a mustache).

100+: every coach mentioned on this thread

Matt McMahon is another name to keep an eye on at Murray State. He's from Tennessee, played at Appalachian

Although he is benefiting from Sophomore Ja Morant going from unranked in high school to a lottery pick this season

We are going to hire a shit coach because no good coaching candidates want to work for a snake like Wellman. So we are going to strike out on our top five picks and take a flyer on an unproven coach with a spin-able story. Or the same thing that happened when we hired Manning is going to happen again.

Is Bob Richey at Furman doing some good coaching or just riding one really good player to early season wins?

Back