• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Is Bob Richey at Furman doing some good coaching or just riding one really good player to early season wins?

Looks like good coaching to me; he's got some good players in Lyons and Rafferty but the whole team has been pretty balanced.

We are going to hire a shit coach because no good coaching candidates want to work for a snake like Wellman. So we are going to strike out on our top five picks and take a flyer on an unproven coach with a spin-able story. Or the same thing that happened when we hired Manning is going to happen again.

On the other hand, some of the behavior that has many on here apoplectic is exactly what might entice a coach to work for Wellman. Once hired, very long leash, very slow to fire trigger finger. Pays well, even for low quality results.

Wake has excellent facilities and has shown a willingness to spend on them.

didn't realize that Wes spent some time on Ernie Nestor's staff at Elon

so we fire Danny, Ernie coaches out the season and transitions the program to his protege

CHAMPIONSHIPS!

Looks like good coaching to me; he's got some good players in Lyons and Rafferty but the whole team has been pretty balanced.

Five guys with double figures in the OT win over Villanova. I know 'nova isn't the same team that won the title last year but i would guess they should have been favored to beat Furman.

Last edited:
I can imagine Ron Wellman's shortlist looking similar to this:

In no particular order:
Bob Walsh - University of Maine
Jeff [Redacted] - :heart:
Bones McKinney - Unemployed/Dead
Juan Dixon - Coppin State University
LeBron James - LA Lakers
Jon Harris - SIU Edwardsville

Is Bob Richey at Furman doing some good coaching or just riding one really good player to early season wins?

Richey is in his mid-30s, and looks to have long career ahead of him. Richey was hired as an assistant at Furman in 2012. This is Richey's 2nd year as Furman HC. In 2017, he took over for Niko Medved who left Furman for Drake (beat WF last year), and then after just one year, left Drake for Colorado State. Medved built Furman from 9-21 in 2014 to 23-12 in 2017. Richey has continued the rise at Furman as they went 23-10 last year, and look to have their best team in a long time this year. They have nice balance of senior players and underclassman. Always a risk to hire coach with only two years of HC experience, but Bob Richey appears to know what he is doing.

On the other hand, some of the behavior that has many on here apoplectic is exactly what might entice a coach to work for Wellman. Once hired, very long leash, very slow to fire trigger finger. Pays well, even for low quality results.

Wake has excellent facilities and has shown a willingness to spend on them.

Long leash and not firing for poor results appeals more to a poor coach who does not expect to produce. A quality coach expects to win or be removed.

Do we really want to hire a coach that thinks being able to stay employed for a long time while losing is a bonus?

In no particular order:
Jeff [Redacted] - :heart:
LeBron James - LA Lakers

I object to your inclusion of Juan Dixon in that list. He's easily my favorite non-Wake ACC player ever.

We are going to hire a shit coach because no good coaching candidates want to work for a snake like Wellman. So we are going to strike out on our top five picks and take a flyer on an unproven coach with a spin-able story. Or the same thing that happened when we hired Manning is going to happen again.

I’m not sure I understand this point of view. Do only basketball coaches feel this way? We have many exceptional coaches that Wellman has hired including at least 2 in Bresky and Muuss that could be regarded as the very best in their respective sports. And Clawson was a proven winner at multiple stops before this. Or is this just simply the “its not basketball so I don’t care” attitude?

WFCatamount is just venting about Wellman. Essentially any non-power conference coach outside of Mark Few and maybe Musselman, would dive on a WF offer. WF can offer guaranteed financial packages (and resources) that the Buffalos, Furmans, Charlestons, and UNCGs can't begin to offer. That's life changing money. Even if they crash and burn at WF, they can always go back to coach at non-Power V school. Where Wellman has hurt WF is if multiple Power V jobs are open. There was a time that WF was considered a legit top 25 program. Those days are long gone.

Last edited:
I’m not sure I understand this point of view. Do only basketball coaches feel this way? We have many exceptional coaches that Wellman has hired including at least 2 in Bresky and Muuss that could be regarded as the very best in their respective sports. And Clawson was a proven winner at multiple stops before this. Or is this just simply the “its not basketball so I don’t care” attitude?

I'm not absolutely convinced Wellman will hire a shite coach, but I'm definitely suspicious. The other problem out there is we've been through 2 awful regimes in a row that followed a mediocre regime. HS kids don't remember us having a strong 20 year run under Odom and Skip. Kinda similar to UVA's problem in football. They were a good football school for about 20 years then had 2 awful regimes in a row with the 2nd half of Groh's stint and London. Mendenhall, on the face of it, was a good hire from his record at BYU. But he hasn't recruited well and his recruiting classes have averaged in the 50s, which ain't gonna cut it. The only reason they had a decent season this year was they got a good JUCO QB, and they never used to accept JUCOs. So like UVA football, we've been bad so long that even a good hire may have a hard time getting 4*s to come to Wake.

In no particular order:
Jeff [name redacted] - :heart:
LeBron James - LA Lakers

On a more serious note, Mike Jones from Radford and Ritchie McKay from Liberty bear watching as the season progresses. Neither are likely on the A list at the present could move up as other names are dropped (due to lack of interest or otherwise). Both schools have had good wins this year. RU plays UNCG tonight.

On a more serious note, Mike Jones from Radford and Ritchie McKay from Liberty bear watching as the season progresses. Neither are likely on the A list at the present could move up as other names are dropped (due to lack of interest or otherwise). Both schools have had good wins this year. RU plays UNCG tonight.

God no, those would both be terrible hires.

I'm not absolutely convinced Wellman will hire a shite coach, but I'm definitely suspicious. The other problem out there is we've been through 2 awful regimes in a row that followed a mediocre regime. HS kids don't remember us having a strong 20 year run under Odom and Skip. Kinda similar to UVA's problem in football. They were a good football school for about 20 years then had 2 awful regimes in a row with the 2nd half of Groh's stint and London. Mendenhall, on the face of it, was a good hire from his record at BYU. But he hasn't recruited well and his recruiting classes have averaged in the 50s, which ain't gonna cut it. The only reason they had a decent season this year was they got a good JUCO QB, and they never used to accept JUCOs. So like UVA football, we've been bad so long that even a good hire may have a hard time getting 4*s to come to Wake.

The ability to interact with and attract 4 and five star recruits was probably some of the appeal of Manning when he was hired. Short head coaching resume. Good apprenticeship under Self at Kansas and the name cachet from his Kansas and NBA playing careers. Also a small local connection to Greensboro.

Unfortunately the on court coaching and team/player preparation doesn't appear to be sufficient to win at Wake.

Ron Wellman's shortlist has been updated this morning:

In no particular order:
Coach K's bagman - Duke University
Lew Hill - University of Texas Rio Grand Valley
Paul Hewitt - Unemployed
Norman Dale - Coach from the movie Hoosiers
Keith Walker - Delaware State

Jones is doing well at Radford, but that's a big jump. And though Ritchie McKay is a good guy and experienced, he hasn't been a head coach at a mid major, is a bit old given that he's at a lower level school and doesn't have a dynamic personality.

Jones is doing well at Radford, but that's a big jump. And though Ritchie McKay is a good guy and experienced, he hasn't been a head coach at a mid major, is a bit old given that he's at a lower level school and doesn't have a dynamic personality.

McKay was previously HC at Oregon State, Colorado State, and New Mexico. I'm not saying he should be near the top of Wellman's list, just that he checks a lot of boxes. His time as an assistant to Tony Bennett shouldn't be discounted either.

Back