• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

So why is he at Liberty? He has one NCAA appearance at four stops.

I went to a function here where he spoke. Seems like a nice and genuine guy. Still don't think he's a dynamic personality who would hit the ground running as a recruiter. He's in his 2nd successful stint at Liberty and had like 2-3 other so-so stints before that. He's gotta be at least mid 50s. While I like the guy, he'd be the definition of an underwhelming hire who would not excite the base at all. Add to that I wouldn't want a nice guy like that thrown to the wolves.

And Bill Belichick only won one playoff game before taking over the Patriots. Could be he's at Liberty because he likes the Christian school atmosphere and is waiting for the right opening.

Ritchie McKay coached NM prior (he has head coached at 5 D-1 schools, including the Liberty job twice) to the Liberty job. In his 3rd year at NM, they went to the tourney, but the program crashed and burned after that, and he was fired. He has made a steady ascent at Liberty (did not realize that they moved from the Big South to the Atlantic Sun this season; not sure why both conferences are pretty similar, and the travel for Liberty is much worse in the Atlantic Sun). Seems like Liberty is the right level for him.

And Bill Belichick only won one playoff game before taking over the Patriots. Could be he's at Liberty because he likes the Christian school atmosphere and is waiting for the right opening.

Well shit... what's Wake's pederast tolerance policy? Could we even get this guy? Don't we have too many female students who think they have rights?

Ritchie McKay coached NM prior (he has head coached at 5 D-1 schools, including the Liberty job twice) to the Liberty job. In his 3rd year at NM, they went to the tourney, but the program crashed and burned after that, and he was fired. He has made a steady ascent at Liberty (did not realize that they moved from the Big South to the Atlantic Sun this season; not sure why both conferences are pretty similar, and the travel for Liberty is much worse in the Atlantic Sun). Seems like Liberty is the right level for him.

Yes, I was beating around the bush, and you made the point more succinctly. Tags, would you seriously be happy if we hired McKay?

ESPN just mentioned Oats as one of the most likely coaches to get poached by a P5 at the end of this season. Buffalo plays Syracuse tonight on ESPN2.

Buffalo just went on an 8-0 run to take the lead for the 1st time in the second half. Would be a big win for Oats at the Dome to stay undefeated. Will be interesting to watch how this game closes out because Boeheim is a HOF coach and really good in close games at the end. They showed a pregame speech by Oats and it was pretty good. Mainly about telling his guys to play with a chip on their shoulder because they work harder and don't get the recognition like guys at Syracuse do.

We are not going to get the head coach of a top 15 ranked mid major.

You never know unless you try. Hopefully Wellman tries. UCLA seems to be the only big name school looking to make a move at the end of the year, and they want Musselman. Wake Forest may be the only ACC opening. Come March it may be one of the top 3 available P5 jobs.

Buffalo has a strong 2nd half and wins 71-59 at the Dome to stay undefeated. Oats looked active coaching on the sideline throughout the game, communicated to his guys almost every offensive possession of the 2nd half during the comeback.

Among realistic candidates:

1. Oats

2. Grant

3. Miller

Everyone else

My fear, however, is that Oats will wait it out and take over the program he faced tonight (heck, he may not even have to wait beyond this season). He could even keep his dream home.

My fear, however, is that Oats will wait it out and take over the program he faced tonight (heck, he may not even have to wait beyond this season). He could even keep his dream home.

I think they try and get Hopkins to come back from Washington when the time comes, but no way Boeheim leaves while his son is still playing on the team. He will be there at least 3 more seasons.

If Oats leaves Buffalo after this season he has to pay them $1 million dollars. Without knowing Manning's buyout the concern would be Oats will be the most expensive mid-major option and Wake may not have enough money for him.

It’s a little early to say that for two reasons:

1- We do not know which jobs will be available.
2- It’s still December... No way of knowing how the rest of Buffalo’s season plays out.

But yeah, if Buffalo comes into the NCAAs as a top 4 seed (they won’t) and/or make the 2nd weekend, it might be too much to ask.

Back