• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Just now posting on this thread but we need to get rid of Manning and hire Brad Stevens. Let me know if I missed anything.

The G hasn't looked particularly impressive in its last three wins squeaking out victories over pretty bad teams

Board favorite, Andy Enfield, is firmly on the hot seat at USC.

Lost to #232 Santa Clara in 2OT last night.

This is his year 6... 2 NCAAs, as an 11 seed and 8 seed.

On the plus side, he has the #2 class coming in for 2019, according to 24/7. But I don’t think getting talented players has been his problem.

Board favorite, Andy Enfield, is firmly on the hot seat at USC.

Lost to #232 Santa Clara in 2OT last night.

This is his year 6... 2 NCAAs, as an 11 seed and 8 seed.

On the plus side, he has the #2 class coming in for 2019, according to 24/7. But I don’t think getting talented players has been his problem.

Board favorite was really MRS Andy Enfield.

Recruiting to USC should not be that hard.

It’s a little early to say that for two reasons:

1- We do not know which jobs will be available.
2- It’s still December... No way of knowing how the rest of Buffalo’s season plays out.

But yeah, if Buffalo comes into the NCAAs as a top 4 seed (they won’t) and/or make the 2nd weekend, it might be too much to ask.

Thinking about this in the context of St. Joe's getting a 1 seed in 2004. The A-10 was the 7th best conference that year and St. Joe's landed a 1 seed with a single loss.

Right now the MAC is the 9th best conference. If Buffalo runs the table - or even close to it - they would absolutely get a top 4 seed. Obviously things can and will change between now and March, but it's no unfathomable for them to land a high seed.

Which means we definitely couldn't get Oats. Sweet.

Thinking about this in the context of St. Joe's getting a 1 seed in 2004. The A-10 was the 7th best conference that year and St. Joe's landed a 1 seed with a single loss.

Right now the MAC is the 9th best conference. If Buffalo runs the table - or even close to it - they would absolutely get a top 4 seed. Obviously things can and will change between now and March, but it's no unfathomable for them to land a high seed.

Which means we definitely couldn't get Oats. Sweet.

A high seed for Buffalo wouldn't necassarily put Wake out of the running for Oats by itself. Lots of other factors could still make Wake an attractive next job for Oats.

Right now, Buffalo is projected to go 27-4 (15-3) in the regular season. That supposes a loss to Marquette, and three regular season conference losses (as things stand today, Buffalo will be favored in every game other than Marquette, but its hard to run the table when you play 18 conference games). If Buffalo beat Marquette and went 16-2 or better in conference, they would definitely be a 4 seed (maybe better). If Buffalo ran the table, it would depend on how others do, but a 2 seed or even #1 seed (like St. Joe's) would be a possibility.

St. Joe's was justifiably a #1 seed. They had NPOY, multiple NBA first round choices and A10's historic three point shooter. Buffalo doesn't have that kind of talent.

St. Joe's was justifiably a #1 seed. They had NPOY, multiple NBA first round choices and A10's historic three point shooter. Buffalo doesn't have that kind of talent.

In 2016, LSU had the consensus #1 pick in the NBA draft/FPOY, and two other future NBA players. What was their seed?

Last edited:
In 2016, LSU had the consensus #1 pick in the NBA draft. What was their seed?

Why don't you look at the ENTIRE post? I realize it's easier to extract one piece and attack it, but it's lazy and totally dishonest.

CLEARLY, it wasn't JUST that. I listed THREE reasons that COMBINED as to why they deserved it. They also had a shot-blocker and a coach having a great year.

I won't hold my breath waiting for you to admit your mistake here.

Unless I've missed something, I wasn't aware that those things weighed into seeding.

I would guess that Oats may actually jump at an ACC opportunity this offseason, even Wake Forest. Three of his top four contributors are seniors.

Why don't you look at the ENTIRE post? I realize it's easier to extract one piece and attack it, but it's lazy and totally dishonest.

CLEARLY, it wasn't JUST that. I listed THREE reasons that COMBINED as to why they deserved it. They also had a shot-blocker and a coach having a great year.

I won't hold my breath waiting for you to admit your mistake here.

I had to look again to make sure this wasn't a RKarl or Sokolove post. It's such a predictable pattern. At some point it's going to be revealed that RJ left the boards a long time ago, someone hacked his password (password1), and there is an AI bot that has been refining itself and posting as RJ for years.

I don't watch much college basketball, so maybe this is frequently discussed, but I didn't realize Oats coached high school for twelve years, getting into NCAA basketball in 2013 as Hurley's assistant after Hurley was impressed with him during his recruitment of a kid while at Rhode Island.

I think they try and get Hopkins to come back from Washington when the time comes, but no way Boeheim leaves while his son is still playing on the team. He will be there at least 3 more seasons.

Get the connection but Hopkins has been pretty underwhelming with UW thus far. Oats would be a way better hire

Buffalo has a strong 2nd half and wins 71-59 at the Dome to stay undefeated. Oats looked active coaching on the sideline throughout the game, communicated to his guys almost every offensive possession of the 2nd half during the comeback.

Wow...

Board favorite was really MRS Andy Enfield.

Recruiting to USC should not be that hard.

I think it was a tie between Ms Enfield and Ms Archie Miller. Both coaches seriously outkicked their covereages.

Right now, Buffalo is projected to go 27-4 (15-3) in the regular season. That supposes a loss to Marquette, and three regular season conference losses (as things stand today, Buffalo will be favored in every game other than Marquette, but its hard to run the table when you play 18 conference games). If Buffalo beat Marquette and went 16-2 or better in conference, they would definitely be a 4 seed (maybe better). If Buffalo ran the table, it would depend on how others do, but a 2 seed or even #1 seed (like St. Joe's) would be a possibility.

I just don't see it. They were a #13 seed last year at 26-8... #67 in KP.

I'm sure they'll have a better record (& KP) this season, but I just think it is unlikely that they earn a Top 4 seed in the NCAAs.

And, of course, it doesn't really matter for our chances if they are a #4 or a #5 seed... My point was just that it feels like we are at "peak Buffalo" right now.

I think Oats would at least listen to what we had to say.

Back