• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Don't feel like reading entire thread to see if previously mentioned but how about Dan Marjerle? He has done some pretty good things at Grand Canyon. I bet he would fit in with current admin. Plus, he's frigging Thunder Dan. They are currently 7 and 6 but no real bad losses (other than blow out loss at Texas)and played some pretty good teams fairly well (lost to Nevada by 8, Utah by 9 and Seton Hall by 7).

Sounds like Manning 2.0.

I suppose the definition of a “Wake guy” will be someone who will continue our record of success over the past 10 years. I guess our once proud program is now one that only hopes we’ll get a coach whose goal is a winning record.

We now expect less from Wake basketball than any other sport we have. Auburn maned up w Pearl and it’s working. Auburn should not have a better program than Wake.

If you hire a recidivist cheater, like Pearl, you are playing with fire. You don't have to go to that extreme.

Wake Forest basketball is now at the place where extreme measures are necessary. I want a coach with the chops to want to kick K, Roy and Tony's ass as opposed to not even believing they deserve to be on the same court with them. I'm tired of those guys patting our coaches on the back after they kick our ass by 30.

If you hire a recidivist cheater, like Pearl, you are playing with fire. You don't have to go to that extreme.

There are no consequences to cheating. Can’t beat em, might as well join em

search

Any chance Ed Cooley would be interested? Maybe the challenge of coaching in the ACC could lure him. Nobody expects Roy to really last another 7 years, K could ride into the sunset if he wins a natty this year, and Boeheim won't be around forever. In 5 years Bennett and Mack will likely be the top coaches in the conference.

Any chance Ed Cooley would be interested? Maybe the challenge of coaching in the ACC could lure him. Nobody expects Roy to really last another 7 years, K could ride into the sunset if he wins a natty this year, and Boeheim won't be around forever. In 5 years Bennett and Mack will likely be the top coaches in the conference.

Meh.

IMO, the next coach has to be the VERY best hire that Wake has made in the last 20 years. If we settle, if we miss on a young gun at a mid-tier program w/marginal success then it may set Wake basketball back another 20 years. Our next coach has to be Skipesque. We need a name and a guy w/increadible passion and a relentless drive. Not an a-hole or a cheater but a coach that is determined to succeed at Wake. Sadly, most of the names out there (that I recognize...) have baggage, too young, too unproven, or are not checking a lot of the boxes.

I say open the vault and get the best coach possible. Maybe the guys we missed on earlier, Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart, etc. We need to make a "splash" hire and those dudes would give us instant credibility. I can dream, right?

Sure. Dream. But those aren’t names that belong on a thread about possible Wake bball hires.

IMO, the next coach has to be the VERY best hire that Wake has made in the last 20 years. If we settle, if we miss on a young gun at a mid-tier program w/marginal success then it may set Wake basketball back another 20 years. Our next coach has to be Skipesque. We need a name and a guy w/increadible passion and a relentless drive. Not an a-hole or a cheater but a coach that is determined to succeed at Wake. Sadly, most of the names out there (that I recognize...) have baggage, too young, too unproven, or are not checking a lot of the boxes.

I say open the vault and get the best coach possible. Maybe the guys we missed on earlier, Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart, etc. We need to make a "splash" hire and those dudes would give us instant credibility. I can dream, right?

That was who we had to hire 5 years ago. We were only one hire away from a number 1 ranking.

After 5 years of Manning, we are no longer attractive enough to get the name hire. The only choice is to go young and up-and-coming.

Google Thad Matta. Click on "Thad Matta-Wikipedia" to review record. It speaks for itself. Return to Google list. Click "Thad Matta back in Columbus, one year after getting fired". Read and watch both videos. You will laugh.

Does this seem like the person who could rebuild the Wake Forest basketball program and represent it well? Wellman could also prove an asset in the interview and redeem his reputation with this hire. He needs to make the call. Matta will consider an interview, probably take it. It will fulfill his obligation to tOSU to continue to receive the balance of his contract. A golden opportunity.

Google Thad Matta. Click on "Thad Matta-Wikipedia" to review record. It speaks for itself. Return to Google list. Click "Thad Matta back in Columbus, one year after getting fired". Read and watch both videos. You will laugh.

Does this seem like the person who could rebuild the Wake Forest basketball program and represent it well? Wellman could also prove an asset in the interview and redeem his reputation with this hire. He needs to make the call. Matta will consider an interview, probably take it. It will fulfill his obligation to tOSU to continue to receive the balance of his contract. A golden opportunity.

I'm assuming this is not completely serious.

1. Hire the guy who sealed Dave Odom's fate and cemented the term 'Butlerized' for Wake fans. Wake hires Skip, X hires Matta.

2. On June 5, 2017, Matta mutually agreed with Ohio State to step down as their head coach due to his long time health issues that were causing a decline in team performance and recruiting.

Even if you could get past #1, #2 would not make this a great move, given our challenges.

I was playing around this afternoon looking for the kinds of candidates that no one is talking about but that could give Ronnie a half-chub. I didn't come up with much, but did read about Kyle Smith- the head coach at San Francisco. He's originally from Maryland, spent a year as an assistant at Air Force, was a longtime assistant at St. Mary's Gaels before taking the Columbia job. After six seasons there, he went to San Francisco. He has made the post season 4 out of the last 5 years.

Most importantly, two of his three sons are named Bo and Luke (could fit in with our good ol' boys network) and the other one is Rocco.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Smith_(basketball)

I would not be surprised if it was russel turner and chill and gray moved spots.

Don’t want that but won’t be surprised

I was playing around this afternoon looking for the kinds of candidates that no one is talking about but that could give Ronnie a half-chub. I didn't come up with much, but did read about Kyle Smith- the head coach at San Francisco. He's originally from Maryland, spent a year as an assistant at Air Force, was a longtime assistant at St. Mary's Gaels before taking the Columbia job. After six seasons there, he went to San Francisco. He has made the post season 4 out of the last 5 years.

Most importantly, two of his three sons are named Bo and Luke (could fit in with our good ol' boys network) and the other one is Rocco.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Smith_(basketball)

This guy sucks.

Russell Turner is a pretty good bet except for the fact he would have been a good bet five years ago.

Back