• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

And wellman is great at focusing major hires on Ohio (Matta) for some reason. It fulfills his obligation to explore his childhood when hiring.

I'd be (more than) fine w/ Matta, but it just doesn't seem like a Wellman (or Wake Forest) kind of hire.

Unfortunately, neither does Nate Oats, if I'm being honest.

I'm really hoping that there are a lot of folks with input into this hire, and not just Wellman (and Hatch). Each failed hire makes this hole even deeper to dig out of.

Kyle Smith does not suck.

Nate Oats from Buffalo and Steve Forbes from ETSU are on my list of coaches from mid-majors if we go that route.

That was who we had to hire 5 years ago. We were only one hire away from a number 1 ranking.

After 5 years of Manning, we are no longer attractive enough to get the name hire. The only choice is to go young and up-and-coming.

This is pretty spot-on.

I would disagree that Wake is not an attractive job. Brand new basketball facilities. Thank you Mit Shah, Ben Sutton, chris Paul and others.

Decent collection of upper level players in the NBA. And some recent NBA alums.

Some decent players on the team currently. An AD who will give a new coach enough time to build a program, and succeed or fail with his own players.

I don't get it either. We have two players in our starting five that were offered scholarships to Kansas and if it wasn't for player attrition we should be running a rotation of mostly top 100 players. A good coach should be able to win here and it's a no way a dead-end job

I don't get it either. We have two players in our starting five that were offered scholarships to Kansas and if it wasn't for player attrition we should be running a rotation of mostly top 100 players. A good coach should be able to win here and it's a no way a dead-end job

Yet our last three hires were Dino Gaudio, Jeff [Redacted], and Danny Manning.

Y’all know what’s going to happen right? Manning gets fired and we all get that relief feeling.
Then a week later wellman announces he has hired John Doe, the 74 year old previously retired coach with a career 249-281 record and zero ncaa tournament wins

Y’all know what’s going to happen right? Manning gets fired and we all get that relief feeling.
Then a week later wellman announces he has hired John Doe, the 74 year old previously retired coach with a career 249-281 record and zero ncaa tournament wins

Do Doe’s teams hang their hat on defense?

Actually, you kind of described Ernie Nestor right there.

The reason Wake is not a desired destination is Wellman. Having to work for Wellman is a problem.

Actually, you kind of described Ernie Nestor right there.

Sounds like a fine choice for interim coach. Pretty sure we could fire Manning and he would not notice for a few weeks.

Who do you like as a potential hire in a couple of months?

I’ve got nobody right now. Oats was my choice early in the year but he’s coached himself to a much better job.

I’ll look at that list from the Athletic I posted a month or so ago and see how they’re doing. There were some intriguing names. I’d have no problem hiring a promising assistant.

The reason Wake is not a desired destination is Wellman. Having to work for Wellman is a problem.

I don’t understand this logic.

I agree Wellman needs to go, but why would he be bad to work for? None of our coaches in other sports seem to feel that way. I’m serious. I don’t get it.

I think the bigger issue is we won’t pay up for a proven coach.

I’ve got nobody right now. Oats was my choice early in the year but he’s coached himself to a much better job.

I’ll look at that list from the Athletic I posted a month or so ago and see how they’re doing. There were some intriguing names. I’d have no problem hiring a promising assistant.

I still think Oats is attainable. But I get your point. He’d still be my top choice.

Watching Buffalo recently they really pass and rebound. A lot of assists by multiple players unlike our team. They get after it on defense as well. Deflections and steals are encouraged. High energy and team oriented. Nate Oats has a positive demeanor. I would love to get him.

I don’t understand this logic.

I agree Wellman needs to go, but why would he be bad to work for? None of our coaches in other sports seem to feel that way. I’m serious. I don’t get it.

I think the bigger issue is we won’t pay up for a proven coach.

And you can suck shit to high heaven and not get fired.

Back